TheDreadnought

Maybe removing invisifire will shake up high tier gameplay.

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

59 posts in this topic

I only really play Tier 10 now(because the ships are by far the most fun), and invisi-fire isn't even remotely something to worry about. Bad Zao players do it, unless it's an end of the game low ship numbers standoff. The Minotaur can do it with reasonable success in certain situations, but it's far from the most optimal use of a Minotaur. US/IJN DDs do it on occasion. None of those things have the slightest real impact on the game play, minus the rare games with an Akizuki. No one is running around with a DM sitting at 16.5+ with any regular success.

Stealth-fire, outside of the Zao and Akizuki, is a complete non-issue in the vast majority of games for any team with a modicum of skill. It will probably just mean more accurate torps in the water. Where some people were content to sit at 10km shooting before, now they close in to 6-7km, drop torps, smoke, and shoot from there. And bad BBs will still get shreked and come to the forums exclaiming that the game is broken and DDs need to be nerfed again because they're actually a really good player and sure they may have a 45% winrate but trust them they're really good and you're just a stupid stats elitist for thinking their stats mean anything. So then the game gets dumbed down even more, and we rinse and repeat.

It just is what it is, removing Invisi fire isn't drastic enough to change the "meta". I honestly don't think there is anything terribly wrong with high tier play, tho I don't play it all that often.

And why, exactly, don't you play it that often?

the only ship i think that TRUELY abused invisa fire mech was the akizuki and MAN how i loved to abuse it

This probably won't change anything since very few ships relied completely on stealth fire. However, if you take away all DDs' ability to stealth fire, then expect less puny shells flying your way and more torpedo soup plus shooting from smoke spam instead.

Edited by Cruiser_Chicago

At tier 8 there are only what 3 ships that rely on stealth firing. Zao(kinda) Akzuki, and Gearing.

Other than that a few other ships can do it, like my Des Moines at long LONG ranges can pull it off, but it hardly works.

Won't change much in the end.

And why, exactly, don't you play it that often?

Yes and no.

I haven't been playing enough to feel comfortable at high tiers, that's my reason.

But maybe high tiers should be less "fun", the higher the tier the more skilled you should be in theory. The more stressful it will be for the less skilled and likely less fun. 

T10 should be for serious play imo, it should be where high skilled players go to shoot at each other...

T10 should be for serious play imo, it should be where high skilled players go to shoot at each other...

Then let T10s fight ONLY other T10s and leave the rest of us out of their end-game frolicking.

Normally the people who complain about T10, don't even play high tier. 

Stealth firing is not an issue at high tier, don't talk about something you know nothing about. 

Oh boy, no more stealth firing Zao's every 1 in 10 games for a whole two salvos! All my problems are solved! /s

Oh boy, no more stealth firing Zao's every 1 in 10 games for a whole two salvos! All my problems are solved! /s

Hooray! The game is saved!!! Lol.

Invisifire is an annoyance, nothing more.  High tier game play will remain stale because the price for mistakes is too high at T10.  Players hide because they're scared.

Open water stealth firing isnt the major problem at tier 10, lack of CV players is. Without the threat of a CV strike, BBs can full stop bow in to the enemy. Camp and smoke meta sets in. Also, AA cruisers and AA builds are not needed. DDs have much easier time avoiding detection and the best counter to the current king of tier 10 (Khab) is a CV strike.

The reason tier ten is all BB and RU DD is a lack of CVs. 

Naw, lack of CVs is good. The presence of CVs helps feed the collapses that are common in high tiers. Without CVs there's actually a chance that a high tier match will go down to the wire. I had two like that yesterday, and neither had a CV. Good games are really rare in the high tiers, and I savor them. 

The real problem won't go away: all high tier ships are glass cannons and can murder each other in a minute. Anyone who pushes up is quickly annihilated by skilled players putting down huge volumes of fire. It has only gotten worse with the addition of the ridiculous Minotaur, whose smoke should be removed, and of course the upgrades to the Khab, which obviously needed to be more OP, since it was Russian. 

The solution to better high tier matches is to either (1) reduce the volume of fire -- remove the BB 26 second reload module and make them all minimally 30 seconds, for example, or (2) increase damage resistance -- for example, fire resistance needs an across the board buff, and the number of fires on BBs should be limited to 2, and all other ships, to 1.  WG won't do that because they would rather have dead ships than good matches.

That is just the way it is. 

Edited by Taichunger

Invisifire is an annoyance, nothing more.  High tier game play will remain stale because the price for mistakes is too high at T10.  Players hide because they're scared.

When you play a Des Moines, damn right you play scared. How you live longer.

Naw, lack of CVs is good. The presence of CVs helps feed the collapses that are common in high tiers. Without CVs there's actually a chance that a high tier match will go down to the wire. I had two like that yesterday, and neither had a CV. Good games are really rare in the high tiers, and I savor them. 

The real problem won't go away: all high tier ships are glass cannons and can murder each other in a minute. Anyone who pushes up is quickly annihilated by skilled players putting down huge volumes of fire. It has only gotten worse with the addition of the ridiculous Minotaur, whose smoke should be removed, and of course the upgrades to the Khab, which obviously needed to be more OP, since it was Russian. 

The solution to better high tier matches is to either (1) reduce the volume of fire -- remove the BB 26 second reload module and make them all minimally 30 seconds, for example, or (2) increase damage resistance -- for example, fire resistance needs an across the board buff, and the number of fires on BBs should be limited to 2, and all other ships, to 1.  WG won't do that because they would rather have dead ships than good matches.

That is just the way it is. 

You keep saying this but I witness plenty of collapses even in non-carrier games. Carriers are not some instrumental part in the GRAND WARGAMING CONSPIRACY you keep waving around as if "shortening games" actually mattered. What, do you think they pay by the megabyte or something?

Listen I was in my Monty today and I was being invisifired by a Fletcher and I thought it was fine. Would you like to know why? It is because playing DDs is hard enough as it is and they should keep their stealth firing because they need all the help they can get.

From,

Battleship Main with a Brain

^^ True but I used to be a DD main so I get both sides and the DDs are harder

Listen I was in my Monty today and I was being invisifired by a Fletcher and I thought it was fine. Would you like to know why? It is because playing DDs is hard enough as it is and they should keep their stealth firing because they need all the help they can get.

From,

Battleship Main with a Brain

<3

Sincerely,

A DD Main

^^^LOL you made me laugh and yeah np m8 I for one know and care about all classes <3 back at ya

I started off BB, and moving to commit to DDs in... The Germans. Yup, I like a challenge, no I'm not a masochist

A lot of people make more out of invisifiring than it actually is.  It's never been a mechanic that can be consistently relied upon.  Opportunities to use it are few and far between, is fleeting when the opportunity does come, and when finally used is almost never decisively effective.

Except for Tier II and the two Tier Xs, I have every Russian DD in the tech tree and every captain is trained in AFT.  As often as I play those boats, invisifiring has never been one of those things that made any meaningful difference in my game.

That's just for Russian DDs with their excellent long range guns.  Invisifiring is an even more fickle experience with USN DDs.

When invisifiring goes away I won't miss it.  It will make no difference how I play the affected boats either way.  I'm still going to farm damage from range all match long, whether you can see me or not.  Some will still be salty over it, but then you're going to have to find something else to blame (something which your average BB plebeian will inevitably do - The_Sparrow excluded, of course =)).

A lot of people make more out of invisifiring than it actually is.  It's never been a mechanic that can be consistently relied upon.  Opportunities to use it are few and far between, is fleeting when the opportunity does come, and when finally used is almost never decisively effective.

Except for Tier II and the two Tier Xs, I have every Russian DD in the tech tree and every captain is trained in AFT.  As often as I play those boats, invisifiring has never been one of those things that made any meaningful difference in my game.

That's just for Russian DDs with their excellent long range guns.  Invisifiring is an even more fickle experience with USN DDs.

When invisifiring goes away I won't miss it.  It will make no difference how I play the affected boats either way.  I'm still going to farm damage from range all match long, whether you can see me or not.  Some will still be salty over it, but then you're going to have to find something else to blame (something which your average BB plebeian will inevitably do - The_Sparrow excluded, of course =)).

It still is essentially going to be the same.

Zao is still going to pick your BB off at range.  Only this time you can see her do that while your shells miss at long range.

Gremyaschy is still going to annoy the f--k out of your BB as she dances at range.  Only this time you get to see her do that and futilely try to shoot at her.

And as I recall from another thread, range increases are among the adjustments to compensate for the loss of invisifiring.  So... Akizuki for instance is getting more range.

Etc, etc.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

^^^LOL you made me laugh and yeah np m8 I for one know and care about all classes <3 back at ya

^-^