colm_saunders

Is it worth upgrading to NO?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

16 posts in this topic

Opinions on the NO? Is she worth upgrading to from the Pepsi or is it only a marginal increase in performance?

Posted (edited) · Report post

It is much better. Radar. Hull armor that cannot be penned by destroyers. More Stealthy. More durable. Also, the grind through Baltimore is much easier now due to the RoF buff so the Des Moines is a lot less of a grind to get to. 

Edited by MrEndeavour

She's definitely an upgrade, but she also now faces tier 10's, so the Pepsi might feel better on a tier-for-tier basis. 

Also, do you want to reach the Des Moines? If you do, you gotta play the NO regardless.

She's definitely an upgrade, but she also now faces tier 10's, so the Pepsi might feel better on a tier-for-tier basis. 

Also, do you want to reach the Des Moines? If you do, you gotta play the NO regardless.

Good point.  New Orleans is definitely a better ship, but gets uptiered to T10 often.  She is definitely more durable (when angled) than Pensa, has great radar, and same great artillery US heavy cruisers are accustomed to.

Pensacola on the other hand has the luxury of frequently being top-tier in the current MM system.

Yes. NO is a much better ship than the pensa. You lose one gun but you get a much better aby gun setup with all triple turrets. Also, your reload gets dropped to a nice 12 second reload and with the concealment module + ce you can get down ~9.5km of detection making it much easier to play. The NO also keeps the good rudder shift and gains a 30 second 9 km radar.

Yes.... Yes he does, 8 inch guns, 5ish second reload.... He wants it alright, it keeps him up at night...

30 second 9km radar - that is really nice. Longer than my ATL

I am mulling over whether to start another cruiser line. Maybe RU or the new French line. I think I'll go for it regardless

Pensacola is a T7, so it has a definite advantage in the current MM meta.  

That said, the New Orleans is a solid ship.  Maybe not outstanding, but not painful, either.  Granted, I went through it waaaaay back in the day, before it had radar.  

Perhaps most importantly, the New Orleans' greatest strength is that it's an unavoidable stepping stone on the way to the sweet, sweet candy that is the DesMoines.  March onward, good sir!

I averaged less damage in my New Orleans than any other tier 8 cruiser but I did enjoy it. If you want an overpowered cruiser this isn't it but it is viable. It's maneuverability is top notch and it's armor is an improvement against other cruisers. It's guns do quite well despite the low dpm thanks to how reliable their AP is.

I must admit i quite disliked the New Orleans before, but after the latest buff i has become a sweetie pie! The 13s reload is amazing! You can without an issue kill Destroyers and enemy cruisers. In fact, when i play cruisers, the American Cruisers are the only ones i really worry about. The AP is amazing for other cruisers. With that bow armor, you will be impenetrable against other cruiser's AP, forcing them to use HE and show bow; no cruiser wants to give broadside to US Cruisers!

The HE is awesome too! I would recommend for you to get Demolition Expert. You can definetly bring hell to other BBs with those HE! I would get 8-10 fires without problem in normal games. You just love to see the damage adding up....

Your Concealment also improves a lot! Allowing you to get close to smokes and use your Radar, becoming an authenting DD nightmare...I would personally recommend Radar and Hydro to be more DD expertwise! Since Carriers rarely focus on US cruisers.

Finally, always play teamlike. Avoid going alone if possible; always want to have BBs and DDs nearby, so you don't become the center of attention (Your HP isn't that good, and got no damage repair...)

In conclusion, YES the NO is worth it after the latest buffs. And surely you want to get the Baltimore and the Des Moines....Once you get the Baltimore, your life becomes easier! 

I personally love my New Orleans.  It is a beast compared to the Pepsi.  Although, I had to deal with pre-buffed Pepsi.

Best tier VIII cruiser if you are an aggressive player and know how to position. My favourite ship on the game. 

NOLA sucks.  I'd rather play any other T8 cruiser in the game.

NOLA sucks.  I'd rather play any other T8 cruiser in the game.

Have you tried it since the buff? the buff hit half way threw my grind and I gotta say that extra reload speed made itself felt. USN AP in AB-X triple turrets has a very nice feel to it.

The ship is also a fair bit smaller and just as (or more) nimble than the Pensacola, really it was just an upgrade for me, if you can make the pensacola work the NO should feel great.