meat2

Matchmaker battle tiers.

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

Matchmaker tier spread.    95 members have voted

1. 1. What matchmaker is better in your opinion?

• +1,-1
    • +2,-2

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

If anyone wishes to elaborate their stance or points feel free to do so.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Interesting format. I really think OP here managed to have a clearly unbiased poll... EDIT: This is not sarcasm. I actually like this guy's poll.

I'd prefer a +1/-1 MM just so that being bottom-tier isn't all that bad. I'd love playing through T5-6 way more with that kind of change.

Edited by pewpewpew42

+1 -1 games are always more fun and competitive. Tired of being one of 2 6s in a game full of 8s.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't think it matters at all which one we have, so long as tiers 5 and 6 get sorted out. 

Edited by RivertheRoyal

The object of this game is not all being equal. Its about how Captain's use there ship. Find a ship you like and learn to be deadly with it. I have seen many tier 8 ships clear the ocean of tier 10's, Its skill not equality.:look:

I guess in a way it depends on what ship you are playing - for DD's, I don't think that the +2/-2 is that big of a deal (and of course, I'd prefer to be on the +2 side of that!); however in most other ships there can be, IMHO, a significant challenge to being bottom tiered - but that's the way I try to look at it when I'm bottom tiered - its a challenge.  The only time I get really annoyed with it is when I'm playing CV and my Ranger is in a tier 9/10 match - which has happened - then I'm pretty much helpless - but at the end of the day, its just a game!

I don't mind being bottom tiered in most cases unless top tier CV is present. 

I voted +/- 2, as it does give a wider variation in gameplay.  BUT I would vote for the following modifications:

-- CV players see only a +/- 1, as the Tier 7 Hiryu player cannot compete with a Missouri, and conversly, a Kongo doesn't do well against a Hiryu.

-- Bottom tier has a minimum number of ships, say, 4 ships.  So in a 12v12 battle, and you're in the low tier 5 ship, there will be at least a third of the battle at your tier (with two-thirds higher).

The object of this game is not all being equal. Its about how Captain's use there ship. Find a ship you like and learn to be deadly with it. I have seen many tier 8 ships clear the ocean of tier 10's, Its skill not equality.:look:

Of course this wasn't what the OP asked in the poll, but regardless, one can learn the potential of any ship and its Captain even at a 3 tier difference where results could go good or bad. But ships of equal tier have an equal balance, that's the purpose why WG has an equal tier battle scenario during rank. It just makes sense then to bring random closer in tier.

Interesting format. I really think OP here managed to have a clearly unbiased poll...

I'd prefer a +1/-1 MM just so that being bottom-tier isn't all that bad. I'd love playing through T5-6 way more with that kind of change.

I am trying to actually figure out of this was 100% sarcasm, LOL.... 

When you consider how much fun a ranked battle is with everyone at the same tier level, I would think +/- 1 would feel about the same.

If player counts weren't so low then +1/-1 would probably be introduced. 

+-2 is better for me.  It means more diversity in matches.  I think +-2 should be at every single tier except tier 1.  Tier 2 and 3 will get shafted with limited opportunities for downtiering, but those tiers progress really quickly anyway.  For new players, a system could be implemented that says if you have less than 500 battles, you will only face players who have less than 500 battles, negating some of the experience discrepencies and allowing them to learn the game without being taken advantage of by experienced players clubbing at low tiers.  Tier 2 and 3 ships would need to be buffed to make them more comfortable being at the bottom of the barrel more often.  What would also be nice is a mechanism that says you will never be bottom tier twice in a row.

I would accept slower queue times for a better matchmaker.

Of course this wasn't what the OP asked in the poll, but regardless, one can learn the potential of any ship and its Captain even at a 3 tier difference where results could go good or bad. But ships of equal tier have an equal balance, that's the purpose why WG has an equal tier battle scenario during rank. It just makes sense then to bring random closer in tier.

As others have mentioned T5-T6 are tough, this is especially true for newer players.  There is a ridiculous skill difference between a new T6 player and the average T8 player.  Add to that the T6 ships are so weak compared to T8's.   I say a +/-1 for T6 and below at a minimum, and at all tiers in possible.   

+/-1 is superior IMO.  Success in a T5/6 ship versus T7/8 ships requires above average skill that just doesn't exist in most Random games of T5-7 and T6-8.  The resultant losses are frustrating to the average player and could be a factor in their retention.  There are many wonderful ships at T5 and T6 that just don't get played anymore except in Coop due the the MM +/-2 tier situation.  If player density id an issue, simply change the team size to 10.

I noted in other threads on this topic that most the players preferring +/-2 MM had Win Rates that were usually in the 60% range or higher.  Of course, they gain an advantage with the present setup as their T8 ship can be played both ways and hold up well.

When you consider how much fun a ranked battle is with everyone at the same tier level, I would think +/- 1 would feel about the same.

I agree, it would be more fun.

Maybe, it would depend if WG felt like the matches were fast/short enough.  I don't know if +/-1 would slow the games down without as big a discrepancy in tiers.  If games take longer because of more even tiering, it isn't going to happen. 

+-2 is better for me.  It means more diversity in matches.  I think +-2 should be at every single tier except tier 1.  Tier 2 and 3 will get shafted with limited opportunities for downtiering, but those tiers progress really quickly anyway.  For new players, a system could be implemented that says if you have less than 500 battles, you will only face players who have less than 500 battles, negating some of the experience discrepencies and allowing them to learn the game without being taken advantage of by experienced players clubbing at low tiers.  Tier 2 and 3 ships would need to be buffed to make them more comfortable being at the bottom of the barrel more often.  What would also be nice is a mechanism that says you will never be bottom tier twice in a row.

I would accept slower queue times for a better matchmaker.

Balancing MM and time in queue would be an issue.  As others have said you could possibly see +/-1 at peak hours and fewer ships per match at off peak times, this could help keep queue times low.  I'd also be okay with a +/-2 at off peak hours. 

I like the +/-2 because it is very fun to go in at bottom tier and hand the sterns of higher tier ships back in golden platters.

Nothing feels better than getting 6 kills with a T6 ship in a 6-8 battle.

Edited by Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper

I like the +/-2 because it is very fun to go in at bottom tier and hand the sterns of higher tier ships back in golden platters.

Nothing feels better than getting 6 kills with a T6 ship in a 6-8 battle.

Now imagine your performance in a +/-1 match, where things are more 'equal'. Player skill would become even more OP.  

This could actually be....fun. :trollface:

i'm perfectly fine with +/-2

the only issue i have with MM at the moment is the changes they did a while back that completely shafted T5, and made it that much easier for seal clubbers at T4 and under.

My typical tier 5 (New York) battle is against tier 7 (Belfast / Fiji / Atlanta) so go figure....

I´m convinced there must be special cases:

Tier 1/2 seeing only tier 1/2

Tier 3 seeing tier 3/4

Teir 4 seeing tier 4/5

Tier 5 seeing tier 4/6

Tier 6 seeing tier tier 5/8

All above as today

Good point!

If it were WoT I would say +/-1, but there are no [edited]mechanics in WoWS that relegate any one ship to support roles. It won't be as easy, but if I'm good enough in a Konig and have to fight a Nagato, I can do it exactly like I would if I were also in a Nagato. The only time I felt +/-2 was inadequate was the old T3-T5 and T4-T6 system. I love my T5/T6 premiums (and tech tree ships) and play them well despite seeing T7 frequently. Even the Emerald was nowhere near as bad as people made it sound. I despised T3 in the old system because you had awful ships like the Scal and Kawachi that can simply be outranged by New York and Kongou. Plus they can outspeed you, have significantly better dispersion, etc. T4/T6 wasn't as bad, but it was still pretty obnoxious fighting CA/CL like the Budyonny that outrange you by a large margin in your slow, inaccurate BB. Low tier BB play used to put you in a situation where you didn't have enough range to fight back and weren't fast enough to close the distance, so higher tier ships kited you and burned you to the ground. Maybe they could have just buffed these T3/T4 ships, but +2/-1 for T5/T6 really made lower tier more playable. I admit I was much better when I had to play new lines like VMF DD and KM BB, but it's not like I would have done better in the old system.

I hate games like WoT where MM makes you useless regardless of skill. The best part about WoWS is that I know I can always contribute significantly to my team no matter what. It is a very fair and equitable game, which is why I stick around and keep improving. WoT just infuriates me.

Never fun being the lower tier in a +2 battle.  Almost makes me want to delete the game and start over.  I will vote -1 or +1 all day long but I don't think developers will listen.  They don't think like we do nor do they want to have fun.  There are more average players out there (me sometimes) and the more the average player is listened to, more players will join since their friends will tell them the game is fun.  

In my opinion, if MM was changed to +/- 1 battles, then more players would come play, the newer ones would stop playing, and WoW would make more money with those that stay and wanna play.  I don't play higher tiers cause it seems that I get placed in as the lowest tier so many times, have to hide or play conservative and not do much to help the team, but when in a more even battle, I seem to be able to do a little more, have more fun, and even help my team mates a little more.

1 +/- battles all the way.  What say you WG....try it, I know we will like it.

In Tanks and in Ships, you can still contribute as bottom tier.

The only thing I'd regulate as ±1 would be CVs.