LittleWhiteMouse

Addendum to a Review -- Alabama Drama Llama

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

117 posts in this topic

I just need the Arkansas and I'll have USN BB premiums complete set :P

most likely Arkansas will not be for the public.

Could we get a ship with interesting history or something?

I share Mouse's opinion. I wrote in my Lertbox that I think that she's - quote - 'damn good', and I still stand by it. Her weaknesses and strengths have been discussed enough, so there's not much point going into the same discussion. People will buy the ship based on their own opinions, all Mouse and me can do is give you our opinions and explain why we feel the way we do.

Alabama isn't for everyone. It's not an easy ship to love. It has a high skill floor, to the point where I'm not sure I can do her justice. But I really enjoy her and I'll happily try.

*ehem*

Prinz Eugen. 

So far, I'm torn on getting it when it finally comes out.  On one hand, I love the South Dakota class, looks good, like NC, so I'll probably like Alabama.  Con, very much dislike T8 and up.  Its not bad when I get into a T6-8 battle, or even a T7-9, but those T8-10 battles are awful.  So bad to me that I'm contemplating not buying her.

Doesn't have German-style citadel in addition to all its other advantages. Not OP enough to spend money on.

/s

(In all seriousness, I would seriously love to take a crack at captaining her, but I definitely couldn't justify the price to myself given that my other recent gaming expenditures were rather high)

Graf Spee, Warspite, Tirpitz, Emden, Mikasa, Arizona...

Or you could just play the NC and not pay for inferior ship because WG is garbage at balance. Its pretty amazing that we can have other premium ships that don't get glaring flaws added to them but hey lets white knight for WG.

I just need the Arkansas and I'll have USN BB premiums complete set :P

Arkansas BETA was a reward for Beta participants.

That's the only way to get it.

Just like the Iwaki ALPHA - had to be an Alpha participant to get it.

Edited by CybrSlydr

Graf Spee, Warspite, Tirpitz, Emden, Mikasa, Arizona...

Yes, good examples (except Arizona) of ships with interesting histories that Alabama should try and live up to.

I'm not saying that  WG have never released interesting historic ships but Alabama is possibly the most boring USN BB of WWII. I've walked the decks of Massachusetts too and she gets bonus 'did something' points.

It's "addendum" with double d... :angry:

Regarding her high citadel, I can't say I'd be too bothered by it, since I'm mostly accustomed to the Iowa before the potential citadel buff occurs. I say, give her some games before making the final judgment. Many folks will be compelled to acquire her for historical or attachment reasons alone.

EDIT: Damn, should have screenshotted when it was just a single d.

Edited by icyplanetnhc

Or you could just play the NC and not pay for inferior ship because WG is garbage at balance. Its pretty amazing that we can have other premium ships that don't get glaring flaws added to them but hey lets white knight for WG.

Whenever I read comments like this from someone who's never actually driven the vehicle he's talking about, I am reminded of the introduction of E-25 in WoT.

"Oh only 150 pen at tier 7, that's nothing, it's gonna suck!"

"Oh StuG's gun on tier 7, it's going to run out of ammo after 1 minute!"

"Worthless pathetic gun!"

Now look at it ...

I'll trust my own experience actually playing a ship over that of someone who's only looked at a few numbers on the screen, thank you.

Good. Encourage more people to buy it. More bbs for me to delete.

LOL.

I never buy premiums in WoWS. Learnt my lesson in WoT. Apparently, some never do.

I suck with the NC. I know it's a good ship, but I suck with it. If the Alabama is an inferior version, then I have mixed feelings about her. Nevertheless, she's a premium, so that means more XP per game than the NC. And, if I master the Alabama, I'll also master the NC.

I've got a 19p Seegul on the NC for now, though. Since I like to play the Missouri, Arizona, and Texas with him, it'll mean just another ship to get more 1st-win-of-the-day bonus rewards! So on those grounds, I'll more than likely buy the Alabama (just the basic pack though).

But how does this ship stack up to tech tree USN BB's?  I am close to getting the NC, and I was wondering if I should spend ~50-60$ on this ship when I might be getting something just as good.  Does the NC not check all the boxes the Alabama does too?  Though with mouse's hype I want to buy this now, and I would like a good captain trainer, but why shouldn't I just save up my money to get free exp for the Missouri instead?

LOL.

I never buy premiums in WoWS. Learnt my lesson in WoT. Apparently, some never do.

Nope. :)

I'll enjoy my premiums, thank you very much. 

Does the NC not check all the boxes the Alabama does too?

Read Mouse's review. Watch other reviews. Alabama and North Carolina are similar but there are distinct differences that affect how they play. Alabama can do things NC can't and NC can do things Alabama can't.

Battlecruiser Lexington please WG.

We don't have an old school mid tier USN fast Battleship, would be nice. Every damn USN BB is slow as [edited]in the tiers I am comfortable playing BBs which essentially means I never play USN BBs.

Hook it up WG!

Thanks for all of your informative updates, Mouse.

This project was on my back burner for quite while but I now have a 15 pt Seagal ready and waiting for her. I enjoy playing North Carolina, with nearly 300 battles driving her under my belt, and I also enjoy Warspite's wigglebility so I believe I have a good sense of how I can play Alabama to good effect and loads of fun. 

Read Mouse's review. Watch other reviews. Alabama and North Carolina are similar but there are distinct differences that affect how they play. Alabama can do things NC can't and NC can do things Alabama can't.

I can't find her Alabama review

Encouraging words, Mouse.

I do so dislike tier 8 and up USN BB's.   The horrific turning, the soft sides, and the big easy to hit citadel make them feel decidedly UN battleship-like.  Couple that with guns that can't hit anything, due to epic dispersion...

Maneuverability sounds like an excellent improvement over the North Carolina.   SERIOUS levels of anti torpedo protection sounds very nice, too.  (especially in the first weeks after release, when the "New Ship Hunters", and premium haters will be going out of their way to hunt them.)

One of the things I like most about my beloved Colorado is the fact that it CAN get out of it's own way.  It CAN dodge torpedoes pretty well, and it CAN dodge or deflect incoming fire.  (Okay, fine- I do admit to feeling a bit smug and slightly amused, when I read one of the many "Colorado SUCKS!!!" threads.lol )  It can also hit what it shoots at, and what it can't tank, it can heal.   I can live with slow- it keeps me out of trouble, as the reds all shoot at the faster "bird dogs" that charged in and got spotted first!.  (and left my slow BB behind)

Then I got my hands on a North Carolina and an Iowa class (Missouri) BB's...   In exchange for being somewhat faster and longer ranged, they sacrificed all that maneuverability, accuracy, and tankiness.  Imo, not a good trade- esp when going up against the best BB's Japan and Germany have in the game.  Thus, those ships have become permanent barnacle gathering port queens. 

So, when I heard that the Alabama- which had been billed as being better armored and tankier than NC- was saddled with Iowa's high, poorly protected citadel, I cried foul.  I was really hoping Alabama would have some of that magic that made the Standards so fun to play... 

Whenever I read comments like this from someone who's never actually driven the vehicle he's talking about, I am reminded of the E-25 in WoT.

"Oh only 150 pen at tier 7, that's nothing, it's gonna suck!"

"Oh StuG's gun on tier 7, it's going to run out of ammo after 1 minute!"

"Worthless pathetic gun!"

Now look at it ...

I'll trust my own experience actually playing a ship over that of someone who's only looked at a few numbers on the screen, thank you.

Sorry I am not excited for a ship where everyone is going to sit bow on and go slowly backwards/forward depending on the battle. Do you really think wows precious balance would be ruined if Alabama had NC citadel?

I mean WG clearly doesn't mind when it let ships like Belfast freaking exist and Alabama wouldn't come close to being as good.

Sorry I am not excited for a ship where everyone is going to sit bow on and go slowly backwards/forward depending on the battle. Do you really think wows precious balance would be ruined if Alabama had NC citadel?

I mean WG clearly doesn't mind when it let ships like Belfast freaking exist and Alabama wouldn't come close to being as good.

People who play the Alabama like that are more than likely doing something wrong. It totally nulls one of her big advantages—the maneuverability.