You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Harbyharpity

Unryū?

10 comments in this topic

Members
63 posts
45 battles

tfGmbti.jpg?2

IJN Unryū during her sea trials

Greetings! I hope you are having a good time~

Personally I'm very interested in the Unryū-class carriers, built after the major IJN defeat in Midway and after the sinking of Taiho, with their design based on the rich experience the IJN had in operating aircraft carriers, I think these unique Aircraft Carriers deserves a place in World of Warships.

I propose to place the Unryū at tier 8, with many ideas similar with the idea of Saipan--trading aircraft quantity for quality.

IRL Unryū doesn't lack hanger space, but due to the shortage of aircrafts and pilots she never received a full suite of aircraft she deserves. Therefore in the game we can sort of "neta" this fact and give her a limited hanger space, perhaps even more restrictive than Hiryū, but give her some of the most advanced aircrafts in the game.

IJN carriers in World of warships are always famed for their balanced and versatile air groups, and I propose we change it a little bit for Unryū, since IRL such a carrier would either carry out focused air defense duties or suicide strike packages, and I propose two types of flight control, with the Air superiority package packing 4 fighter squadrons and 1 squadrons of torpedo bombers, and strike package packing 3 torpedo bomber squadrons and 2 dive bomber squadrons. Overall she will possess 1 less squadron then the Shokaku, her tier 8 comrade, but having superior aircrafts of tier 9 even 10 may neutralize this disadvantage.

Thanks to the lesson learned about flaws in damage control and design defects, Unryū class IRL was bestowed with enhanced survivability and additional aircraft servicing efficiency, and therefore in World of Warships she should see a small increase in hit points and a boosted rate of aircraft rearm...

Comments?

Edited by Harbyharpity
  • Cool 8

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,704 posts
4,256 battles

Considering the design was based off the excellent Shōkaku-class of aircraft carriers, it is a good fit for T8. No opposition from me. (Still eagerly awaits the USS Enterprise's arrival into WoWs)

[SPTR]
Members
3,514 posts
6,121 battles

More sky cancer heresy...

But yes, would love to see more unique carriers in the game, I wouldn't mind seeing such a carrier on my team.

Nice write up! +1

[ANIME]
Members
363 posts
9,306 battles

I could be wrong, but I thought the Unryu was based off the Hiryu rather than the Shokaku, or at least was more similar to the Hiryu than the Shokaku.  It was more lightly armed and overall a smaller carrier at least when compared to the Shokaku IIRC.  I wanna say that there was a similar post to this that placed the Unryu at tier 7 because of its similarity to the Hiryu.

[edit] so according to wikipedia I am correct in saying that it was based off the Hiryu rather than the Shokaku and is a much closer design to the Hiryu compared to the Shokaku.  From WWII Database(Idk if they are credible or not, but they seem so at least)  "ww2dbaseThe Unryu-class aircraft carriers were based on the Hiryu-class design, meant to be used fleet carriers capable of embarking about 60 to 70 aircraft. Improved from the Hiryu-class design were the number of lifts (three lifts instead of only two), larger island structure, and the placement of the island structure on the starboard side (Hiryu-class ships had islands on the port side)." 

Edited by AhosChaos
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,347 posts
15,832 battles

I could be wrong, but I thought the Unryu was based off the Hiryu rather than the Shokaku, or at least was more similar to the Hiryu than the Shokaku.  It was more lightly armed and overall a smaller carrier at least when compared to the Shokaku IIRC.  I wanna say that there was a similar post to this that placed the Unryu at tier 7 because of its similarity to the Hiryu.

[edit] so according to wikipedia I am correct in saying that it was based off the Hiryu rather than the Shokaku and is a much closer design to the Hiryu compared to the Shokaku.  From WWII Database(Idk if they are credible or not, but they seem so at least)  "ww2dbaseThe Unryu-class aircraft carriers were based on the Hiryu-class design, meant to be used fleet carriers capable of embarking about 60 to 70 aircraft. Improved from the Hiryu-class design were the number of lifts (three lifts instead of only two), larger island structure, and the placement of the island structure on the starboard side (Hiryu-class ships had islands on the port side)." 

It was, based off the simpler, less advanced Hiryu.  Based off that Unryu-class should be Tier VII, not VIII.  Here's what I propose:

Make a Premium Unryu-class CV like how Hiryu originally was in the game.

Air Superiority 2/2/2 - The "Trusted, tried, true" spec of current Hiryu, multi-purpose.

Strike 0/3/3 - Old school IJN CV Strike Spec, they didn't need stupid fighters.  Not for the faint of heart that needs fighter.  But this was the Ship Killer Spec of old school WoWS.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,704 posts
4,256 battles

It was, based off the simpler, less advanced Hiryu.  Based off that Unryu-class should be Tier VII, not VIII.  Here's what I propose:

Make a Premium Unryu-class CV like how Hiryu originally was in the game.

Air Superiority 2/2/2 - The "Trusted, tried, true" spec of current Hiryu, multi-purpose.

Strike 0/3/3 - Old school IJN CV Strike Spec, they didn't need stupid fighters.  Not for the faint of heart that needs fighter.  But this was the Ship Killer Spec of old school WoWS.

Ah my mistake.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,133 posts
4,359 battles

Eh, if nothing else I'll just go ahead and point out a couple things I found interesting while researching the class: Apparently Unryu and her sisters had rocket AA, so move over Hood. Also Katsuragi bears the distinction of being the only Japanese fleet carrier to survive the war, and was used as a transport ship to return Japanese soldiers home from far-flung islands all over the Pacific after the war.

Makes me think that Katsuragi would be a neat premium to have.

• Cool 1

[-AOA-]
Beta Testers
720 posts
6,511 battles
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:40 AM, Landsraad said:

Eh, if nothing else I'll just go ahead and point out a couple things I found interesting while researching the class: Apparently Unryu and her sisters had rocket AA, so move over Hood. Also Katsuragi bears the distinction of being the only Japanese fleet carrier to survive the war, and was used as a transport ship to return Japanese soldiers home from far-flung islands all over the Pacific after the war.

Makes me think that Katsuragi would be a neat premium to have.

It would be nice to have more Ships with AA rockets in the game not just the Hood. Katsuragi would be a nice premium along with Junyo & Zuikaku that have AA rockets also. U could find them on this forum topic page if u what to.