Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Lollipop

Indianapolis in Ranked Play: Hey, look at me! While my team sinks ur butt

16 comments in this topic

[LUPI_]
Members
74 posts
11,547 battles

I have an afflictions for underdogs and after see the reviews for the Indy, I had to get one. Besides its a cool looking ship! There is a false perception that the Indy is far easier to sink then other cruisers of the tier. I think this falsehood is feed, by the fact so many people believe the Indy to be a easy kill, its often subjected to concentrated fire by half of the enemy team in Random game play, all of them hoping for the "easy kill". Any ship would quickly be a sinking wreck under that kind of pressure.  I've discovered the fairytale of the "easily sunk Indie" pays unexpected dividents in Ranked Battles.  At the start of a match, I move in the direction of island/s letting the enemy see me, baiting em w a salvo or two.  No matter the number of my team mates detected by the enemy. Within seconds and without fail "Priority Target" captain skill informs me; no less then four, often five and sometimes six of the enemies seven ships are aiming my way, as I race behind and beach into an island. 

And without fail again, "Priority Target" tells me, these ships often keep their guns trained in my direction for up too a minute or more, hoping my "easy kill Indy" will pop out the other side of the island....which I don't.  I've effectively removed the guns of four or more of then enemies ships from the battle for 60 seconds. Meaning target practice time for the rest of my team to issue plenty of damage upon enemy ships that are not returning fire or even looking at them, and a lot of damage can be done by six ships in a minute or so. Once  "Priority Target" tell me, I'm clear, I join the fight. 

Edited by HMS_Lollipop
  • Cool 2

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Interesting... I suppose if you can survive long enough to get into cover while your teammates eviscerate the enemy, that works.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Just gotta pray that you don't get into a lot of matches with lots of BB's.

[--K--]
Members
5,392 posts
17,924 battles

I once saw a Pensacola in a Rank match, I was at R2, at the beginning of the match the Pensacola said, "Yes I'm in a Cola, watch me beat the snot out of them" or something to that effect. And to the surprise of every one the Pensacola ended the match Alive and collected a High Caliber. Belfasts and Fijis do not like eating USN Cruiser AP into their citadel. My crew on the Belfast gave that brave ship a well deserved compliment. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,965 posts
26,497 battles

I once saw a Pensacola in a Rank match, I was at R2, at the beginning of the match the Pensacola said, "Yes I'm in a Cola, watch me beat the snot out of them" or something to that effect. And to the surprise of every one the Pensacola ended the match Alive and collected a High Caliber. Belfasts and Fijis do not like eating USN Cruiser AP into their citadel. My crew on the Belfast gave that brave ship a well deserved compliment. 

Mind you I had a lot of other cruiser experience beforehand, as well as mini-map reading/paying attention skills; but the first time I took Pensacola out I sank a half-health New Orleans and dueled and defeated a full health Atago... (Ring Around the Rosie using an island, I shot straighter and hit more for the win.) Sold me right away; I think Pepsi is a great ship.

Members
19 posts
2,186 battles

I've always had a soft-spot for the old girl, and greatly enjoy playing her, though I didn't take her out in ranked this season just because I figured I'd become fish food more often than not.

Picked her up for family connections, kept her for punishing cheeky DDs in smoke.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
13,743 posts

This is why I try not to lock a ship until I have a good shot on them as priority target doesnt help much if the rounds are on the way right away. Then I unlock the target right after firing to give a false sense of security.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

I have five tier 7 ships to play in this seasons Ranked Battles.

One of them is the Pensacola.

I've made it to rank 10 & whether I make it all the way - I doubt that.

I randomize which of my tier 7 ships I play & I have won & lost with them all.

Some might say only certain ships should be played in ranked - I say who cares.

Also, what if the player doesn't have the preferred ship(s) - does that mean the player should forget playing in ranked? I think not.

[HINON]
Members
13,743 posts

Totally agree, any of the T7 ships can be used effectively in ranked even the squishy ones. 

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

There is a false perception that the Indy is far easier to sink then other cruisers of the tier.

This is not a falsehood.  it IS easier to sink than the other cruisers in tier.  Why?  It is easier to hit and has low hit points.  It's a LARGE target, which causes lots of 33% penetrations which it does not have the hit points to back up.  it's got a pretty slow rudder shift compared to the P'cola, so it doesn't dance quite as well.  I find they are even easier to squish than Atlantas.

Does Indy have some nice qualities?  Sure, but to say that it's a falsehood that it's easier to sink is, imo, flatly incorrect.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

Totally agree, any of the T7 ships can be used effectively in ranked even the squishy ones.

Yay, poster agrees with me, for once, lol. +1 Ripy.

[LUPI_]
Members
74 posts
11,547 battles

This is not a falsehood.  it IS easier to sink than the other cruisers in tier.  Why?  It is easier to hit and has low hit points.  It's a LARGE target, which causes lots of 33% penetrations which it does not have the hit points to back up.  it's got a pretty slow rudder shift compared to the P'cola, so it doesn't dance quite as well.  I find they are even easier to squish than Atlantas.

Does Indy have some nice qualities?  Sure, but to say that it's a falsehood that it's easier to sink is, imo, flatly incorrect.

I'm not really a stats guy and don't study charts as much as some others do.  So, maybe so or maybe not. I tend to think the playing style of each Captain, is a bigger factor. I can only speak from my own experiences.  For me, its not unusual to destroyed full health CR/CL in two salvos or sink almost full health DDs in one salvo, the Indies guns are fantastic. If caught in the open by a BB at ranges over 9K, the Indy can line dance out of danger with a pretty good success rate.  But when not angled properly or caught in open sea by two or more enemy. The Indy will go to Davy Jones locker, if the calvary doesn't show up, but that true for any CL/CR 
Edited by HMS_Lollipop

[LUPI_]
Members
74 posts
11,547 battles

Underdogs win!  Though shchors was my favor of flavor.  I hit rank 12 before I got bored of the small matches.

I do love my German femme fatale lady Scharna too! 

[LUPI_]
Members
74 posts
11,547 battles

Just gotta pray that you don't get into a lot of matches with lots of BB's.

Actually, I fear BBs the less when pulling this tactic. I'm not trying to line up shoots, I just want to get their attention and duck into cover. The BBs start launching rounds my way at 10k +, most often I can moonwalk around the incoming shells. Noticed "most often" 

Sign in to follow this