You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ThisGuySlaps

NA weekend challenge: Do not cap anything, for 15 games straight?

56 comments in this topic

[B-Z]
Members
1,684 posts
18,449 battles

Honestly? What the F are DD's doing in games? Why bother even playing as a DD if you're not trying to win?

Smoking up themselves like they are a minotaur and not capping a F ing thing. That is not how you succeed as a DD.

The last 8 battles I've had have been losses because our team has not got a single cap. What the F is going on with DD players?

WG can you please make some instructional videos like iChase so that people actually know how to play ships, and how to win games?

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,603 battles

Honestly, some of the players I've been randomed with, this is an easy challenge.

Heck, this morning's Scharnhorst battle was me circling outside the cap, bringing the pain while 2 DDs, 2 cruisers, and 2 BBs slowly died to various things behind me.

In the end, I couldn't push and ended up the second to the last one to die on the team.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

We will always deal with things of this nature unless another more competitive mode is added that's based on individual skills and not just the ship you are in.

I don't think they can do it until the player base grows more. The majority of players would "only" play that mode and would lead to longer wait times/competent players in random.

There are many videos available on YouTube showing you how to play. if someone doesn't want to learn then they won't.

[REVY]
Members
8,097 posts
6,118 battles

The reason I do not listen to team commands about capping in my Kagero is related to the upswing in CV population.  Any plane flying overhead makes my Kagero's torpedoes useless and me highly vulnerable, and I'm constantly stuck with CV teammates that lose control of the airspace of all the caps and even our own spawn zone.  This is why I have to remain close to friendly teammates that can cover me when I detected, and that capping only draws the attention of CV planes, so I can't do it alone.

Edited by Sventex

[HKC]
Members
653 posts

We will always deal with things of this nature unless another more competitive mode is added that's based on individual skills and not just the ship you are in.

I don't think they can do it until the player base grows more. The majority of players would "only" play that mode and would lead to longer wait times/competent players in random.

There are many videos available on YouTube showing you how to play. if someone doesn't want to learn then they won't.

Yep. It is the nature of  WG games. New players like me will be forever making mistakes at the expense of experienced players time. 

[SBS]
Members
6,105 posts

There seems to be an upswing in DDs in the game.  We've seen that before with all ship types as popularity runs it's cycles.  It's not uncommon to see 4 or 5 DDs per side in matches right now.  That's tough for DDs, especially when it comes to capping as it makes knife fighting in caps so risky because you have to worry about two or three DDs ganging up on you.  IJN DDs worry about high numbers gunboat DDs so they can't push as hard for the caps.  When you know you are going to get in a brawl with one or two enemy DDs (and who knows how many other ships shooting at you) over a cap, well, not every one has the balls for that.  With only 11K of HP,  it's understandable.  

[SBS]
Members
6,105 posts

The reason I do not listen to team commands about capping in my Kagero is related to the upswing in CV population.  Any plane flying overhead makes my Kagero's torpedoes useless and me highly vulnerable, and I'm constantly stuck with CV teammates that lose control of the airspace of all the caps and even our own spawn zone.  This is why I have to remain close to friendly teammates that can cover me when I detected, and that capping only draws the attention of CV planes, so I can't do it alone.

CVs sure can change the dynamic for DDs.  In general it's not necessarily a big change.  However, it you're up against a good CV you'll pretty much be spotted the whole game.  And that game could be very short because everyone loves to shoot at DDs when they're spotted.    

[SBS]
Members
6,105 posts

There a lot of good videos out there.  Still, watching videos is not necessarily a good way to learn.  Most people learn by doing, and under the watchful eye of a teacher.  That doesn't happen for most people.  Also, watching unicums play on youtube is like a 16 year old watching NASCAR or Indycar to learn to drive.  It would be helpful to see videos that focused on the basic strategies as they unfold in games so people can better recognize them in their own games.  We are starting seeing some videos like now although they do tend to be a little more focused on ranked games, not aimed at beginners. 

I have to tip my hat to all the guys out there making good WoWs content on youtube. :honoring:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,263 posts
21,678 battles

Without cruiser and battleship support a destroyer is dead meat.

DESTROYERS ARE NOT THE ONLY SHIP THAT CAN CAP.

If my battleships are playing the passive snipe game then why cap?

They are not the only ship that can sit back and long range pew pew....

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,063 battles

Trying to not win is fun for people, and if you try to win and play the game as described you're ruining their fun, and it's not fair. /s

[RLGN]
Members
14,921 posts
26,442 battles

Capped in a CV several times recently...
  • Cool 1

[ADR]
Members
4,455 posts
16,203 battles

Perhaps DD players are tired of being left out to die by the Cruisers and BBs who, as soon as they see the enemy turn around and run away?  or hang so far back they can't be of any use for support? 

Why risk my ship to cap when you wont move up and support effectively?

• Cool 6

[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,535 posts
14,001 battles

Don't forget the lemming morons that completely ruin a game.  You know; the ones that don't listen to any reason.

Members
2,709 posts
17,046 battles

I always, always, always play for the win...always.

Did I mention I always play for the win?

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
190 posts
10,015 battles

Try backing up your DD. If no cl/cas and BBs push and stay around to back up my DD it's a short game for me.

[NADO]
Beta Testers
102 posts
10,913 battles

If I play DD in solo queue, I usually turn off chat at the beginning of the match, cuz I just don't trust I will get any support when capping, solo queue usually means I play for myself, don't even care about winning.

If I division with my friends in a DD, then I will 100% try capping since I'm sure I have support.

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I've begun to not cap without support. It's not a DD problem but thanks for scapegoating the class as a whole. It's a teamwork issue, not a destroyer issue.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
7,221 posts
14,028 battles

Capped in a CV several times recently...

I capped in a Bogue once.

There should be a freaking medal for that.

Alpha Tester
415 posts

Honestly? What the F are DD's doing in games? Why bother even playing as a DD if you're not trying to win?

Smoking up themselves like they are a minotaur and not capping a F ing thing. That is not how you succeed as a DD. 

Grinding a line, or playing a gunboat DD with poor vision control. There's more than one way to succeed as a DD. 

Alpha Tester
1,635 posts
9,525 battles

I will admit to playing mostly battleships and will say the worst games are when the destroyers are sitting back a good 8km or so from me. Doesn't matter what I do if I can't see some of what is coming my way. And while WASD hacks might be valid, regardless of what some might say, avoiding every torpedo coming at you isn't possible without out a little spotting help. So begins the endless circle of pointing fingers and some people getting frustrated.

CVs makes DD lives harder, but they do the same for BBs, just the way it goes.

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I will admit to playing mostly battleships and will say the worst games are when the destroyers are sitting back a good 8km or so from me. Doesn't matter what I do if I can't see some of what is coming my way. And while WASD hacks might be valid, regardless of what some might say, avoiding every torpedo coming at you isn't possible without out a little spotting help. So begins the endless circle of pointing fingers and some people getting frustrated.

CVs makes DD lives harder, but they do the same for BBs, just the way it goes.

That's ok. I admit to playing mostly DD and will say the worst games are when the Battleships decide to go all shore battery and play a good 16+km from the caps we are supposed to be fighting over. Pretty soon my BBs will be getting very little help from me when I see this behaviour. I'm not giving vision to complete losers that want to camp any more. You need to lose the class based hate and understand that it's a team effort. I've seen WAY more back camping BB than DDs behind the Battleships in my Warships games.

[CONQR]
Members
38 posts
19,153 battles

Personally I feel like the some people have certain expectations of those classes they complain about. Usually those people have very few games in them and usually at lower tiers. How you play DDs at lower tiers vs higher tiers is really different.

You can be fairly aggressive at lower tiers. The CVs may see you, but they can't really do anything to you. The cruisers and battleships at those levels can't hit you reliably either. So capping is easy and lets be honest, all the DDs tier 5 and below can knife fight OK, because the ranges on those knife fights are usually stupid close and both torps and guns come into play.

At higher tiers, especially when you get into games with t7 and above, you run into CVs that can pick off a DD with ease. You have radar on a number of cruisers and there is that pesky battleship now too. And lets not forget about hydro that can be found on all the ship classes but CVs

now.

I point out these things out because the dynamics of how DDs can do things have changed.

I am currently working through the Udaloi again. I have had to sort of relearn my approach to that ship. When I first got that ship, I could just bully into a cap and expect to take it. Radar was hardly a thing, may have still been in development now that I think about it and hydro was relatively uncommon. Now I have to think about all those things I mentioned about high tier DD play, which to a certain extent now extends into the mid tiers a lot more. Going into a cap at the start of the match in a CV game, especially in a fast ship like the Udaloi, means the CV, if he is paying attention can send something over to spot you because he is thinking "Ah, there is something there and judging by the speed in which he got there, its probably that stupid fast Russian destroyer".That means you get picked off by planes or are bullied out by just about anything on the other team that can reach you with their guns. Now an ignorant player will say, "drop your smoke" and I would point out that that invites several waves of torps thru your smoke and a Cruiser with radar moving up to paint you so he and whatever DDs are close by can burn you to the waterline.

No, what I have learned is that I can do one of two things. One might be to run into that cap and see what you attract. Never stopping and ready to hit the speed boost and head back to the fleet for air cover if those pesky planes come at you. Or two, wait back for a few minutes and see how things develop. If there is a cap not being contested and you can see where most of the enemy team is, than I might make a run for it. CV is likely to ignore you at that point because he is helping his team where they are. Best case is you run into a lone DD from their team trying to take it. In the case of me being in a gun boat, I will try knife fighting. If I am in a beats boat I wander off as soon as I figure out what it is I am up against up there after dumping torps to see what sticks. If its a cruiser, drop torps and run. A BB, maybe you stay and try and make him pay for yoloing off with out a support screen.

I guess the point I am driving at here is that there is something to be said about using a little caution when capping from a DDs point of view. You don't need to cap 2 of 3 points in the first 3 minutes of a game to win it. What you need is to let their DDs overextend and get shot out of the water. Than you go in and control the caps after that. Something I always remind myself of when I get in my DDs is that a dead DD can't contribute anything and a DD that can make it to the final 5 minutes of a game can hugely influence its final outcome. You need to be in control of the majority of the points with about 11-13 minutes left and before you take them, you better have more DDs left than your opponents. Whenever you can make that happen, more often then not I see wins.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,327 posts
13,303 battles

I don't cap if:

1. There's red radar CA near by
  2. There are red CV planes coming
  3. The cap point is in confined area
  4. The big ships don't stay close and keep me in the line of sight

Most friendly big ships don't get to complain since they never do the 4th. They talk big games on support then go behind the rocks, leaving me shot into pieces by the reds. So if you don't do that, STFU.

Edited by chewonit

Beta Testers
190 posts
8,379 battles

Perhaps DD players are tired of being left out to die by the Cruisers and BBs who, as soon as they see the enemy turn around and run away?  or hang so far back they can't be of any use for support? 

Why risk my ship to cap when you wont move up and support effectively?

Perhaps CA and BB players are tired of DD's that smoke themselves in the second they touch a cap circle, leaving all the supporting vessels blind but detected by the enemy team and getting shot to hell and back without being able to do anything about it.

Members
3,010 posts
10,190 battles

The last 8 battles I've had have been losses because our team has not got a single cap. What the F is going on with DD players?

WG can you please make some instructional videos like iChase so that people actually know how to play ships, and how to win games?

I agree, though the first video should be a video entitled:

"Please note, before hitting battle, *enter* in chat or *post* on the forums, an opinion/collective of opinions or even facts cannot change a large enough group of people. Now, please sit back for the next 87 hours and enjoy the rest of the tutorials."

Premise being... You can talk to people until you are blue in the face, show them facts backed by data, have others come in with more facts and guess what, they will say and do as they please regardless of what you or I say. People are people, so truly, don't put too much effort into trying to "sway the masses" and by no means, don't put any emotion into peoples reactions or game play.