You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_first_harbinger

Shell type for warships IRL

7 comments in this topic

Members
3,679 posts
8,111 battles

Currently what we have in World of Warships are only two shell types, the APCBC and HE, but is there really only these two type of shells IRL? There are many types of tank shells that more of us may be more familiar, but most of them are completely useless against warships...HESH, APFDS and HEAT, for example... I am aware of Semi-Armor-piercing, but what exactly are these shells? 

Other shells in game, like British AP shells, they are so puzzling...how do they even work? How do they penetrate at any angle?!

0iGpSwO.jpg?1

• Cool 1

[PLDN]
Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,700 battles

I like that diagram, it makes sense.

Tho I think they are technically HE shells with a faulty arming mechanism, leading to bounces.

Members
363 posts
11,774 battles

I was under the assumption that they have very strong superglue on the nose of the shell and if they hit any surface they will attach and get glued on, but if they hit at too sharp of an angle, there won't be enough of the shell glued to the ship  and inertia will rip the shell off.  If there is enough contact between the shell and the ship, shell then melts a hole through the armor and blows up.  

All jokes aside WG gave them the US autobounce angles and a .1 second fuse time IIRC.  So they are technically AP, but they act like HE with high penetration.  

Completely off topic, but I am putting this at the end of every one of my posts until Zoup notices me.

[ARRGG]
Beta Testers
1,320 posts
6,856 battles

Most shells fall into broad groups.  I'll try to describe them:

1) High explosive - Your most basic shell, this is pretty much a metal case with explosive inside.  Typically, these are "nose fused" (the trigger is in the nose of the shell), but can also be "base fused" or "multi-fused"

2) Fragmentation - a high explosive shell that has been specially milled or modified to generate many small shards of metal.  These are truly devastating anti-personnel weapons. 

3) Flak - a fragmentation shell that uses a timer fuse for purposes of shooting down aircraft.  The timer causes the shell to detonate at a pre-determined height and distance, creating a wall of metal which is highly damaging to planes.

4) Armor piercing - designed for punching through armor, these are usually made with a thicker casing wall, and may or may not have an added "cap" to improve performance.  This cap is generally held on by solder.  All AP explosive shells are "base fused"

5) Semi Armor Piercing - a kind of hybrid between the HE and AP shell, it has a hardened nose for improved penetration, but retains the thin shell wall of the HE shell for increased explosive load.

6) Sabot - an under-sized shell fired out of a full sized barrel with special spacer rings.  This gives the smaller shell a much higher velocity, and thus more range and punch.  In theory, any shell can be used as a sabot, but they are typically "long rod" penetrators, which are a solid rod of highly dense material such as Tungsten or Uranium.

7) HEAT - a high explosive shell that uses it's energy to shape a piece of metal into a penetrating lance, sometimes called an "explosively formed penetrator".

8) HESH - a shell that uses pliable plastic explosive to "stick" to its target, ensuring that the maximum explosive force is transferred.  They typically don't actually penetrate the target, but rather shatter the backing of the armor, causing fragmentation behind the armor plate ("spall")

9) Chemical - a shell loaded with a chemical agent such as mustard gass

10) Nuclear - Nuke, 'nuff said.

11) smoke - makes colored clouds

12) star/illumination - carries a high intensity flare on a parachute, meant for brightening up the dark night.

This list is non-exhaustive and probably a bit simplistic, but I think I covered the major ones.

Edited by Mechanicum

[REVY]
Members
8,097 posts
6,118 battles

Plus, you have the type 3 Beehive Battleship shells the Japanese used.  I think even the South Dakota was hit by a few 14" AA shells from the Kirishima .

I apologize for the dumb music in the video, I think youtube removed unedited clips of this movie's final battle.

Edited by Sventex

[ARRGG]
Beta Testers
1,320 posts
6,856 battles

Plus, you have the type 3 Beehive Battleship shells the Japanese used.  I think even the South Dakota was hit by a few 14" AA shells from the Kirishima .

I apologize for the dumb music in the video, I think youtube removed unedited clips of this movie's final battle.

The "beehive" AA rounds were kind of odd ducks, being a cross between a fragmentation, flak, and incendiary round. They LOOKED impressive, but that was about it. No other navy developed similar shells, though the Germans did have a timer flak shell for the 38 cm SK C/34 naval gun

[REVY]
Members
8,097 posts
6,118 battles

The "beehive" AA rounds were kind of odd ducks, being a cross between a fragmentation, flak, and incendiary round. They LOOKED impressive, but that was about it. No other navy developed similar shells, though the Germans did have a timer flak shell for the 38 cm SK C/34 naval gun

I'm believe those shells were mostly psychological.  The crew of the Battleship feels like they are better defending themselves against aircraft if they can bring the big guns to bare on the air menace (plus it gives the men in the turrets something to do), and I'm sure no pilot wants to see giant guns pointed at them.