You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GBean17

Grossflugzeugkreuzer A IV German CV deisgn

11 comments in this topic

Members
83 posts
5,196 battles

So the Germans were crafting some pretty crazy CV designs such as the one below the Grossflugzeugkreuzer A IV

k9uxxi.jpg

As you can see, if you enlarge the picture, it is a German aircraft carrier design with main battery guns in the front. Yikes. 

From what I could find about this ship on http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/zplan/flugdeckkreuzer/a4/index.html the ship looks similar to the III version having 6(or 4 on the IV)x28 cm (280 mm) guns, an array of secondary and aa guns, and 6 torpedo tubes. Yes, they wanted torpedo tubes on a CV.  Also, it says the ship was laid down in 1942 so the ship could have possibly been launched if the Germans didn't get annihilated in 1945.

What are your thoughts about this German CV that could seem to do it all?  

k9uxxi.jpg

Edited by GBean17

[-ARP-]
Supertester
11,964 posts
6,258 battles

First of all, edit out the swastikas. Secondly, I think WG has already said they aren't going to make a German CV line.

Members
83 posts
5,196 battles

First of all, edit out the swastikas. Secondly, I think WG has already said they aren't going to make a German CV line.

My bad, for not editing them out. I'll do my best or use another picture. I'm stupid for not realizing that. And I'm not saying they'll add it to the game I just wanted to present this not well-known design to people.  
Edited by GBean17

Members
782 posts
62 battles

I think they'll do eventually. Once the more pressing lines are out. 

The Flugdeckkreuzers would be a fun unique flavor imo. So yea, looking forward!

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,051 battles

I don't know about a whole line, but isn't the Graf Zeppelin in the works for a premium?  Don't know if that ever got confirmed though

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Daigensui claims they are since she apparently just gave WG a whole bunch of information on German CV designs. Take that for what it's worth.

Members
1 post
840 battles

I don't think there is anything wrong with the swastikas for German military of the era, its historically accurate. I don't think there is anything wrong with soviet hummer and sickle, for same reasons, even though USSR has murdered tens of millions of people, arguably more then Germany. Historical accuracy is a good thing. If you think any specific flag shouldn't be represented, might as well remove all of them. Anyway, I do think every nation should have carriers and/or other vessels, if any where designed in the era game covers, regardless if any of those where actually built. Variety makes for better gaming. 

Members
82 posts
2,913 battles

I don't think there is anything wrong with the swastikas for German military of the era, its historically accurate. I don't think there is anything wrong with soviet hummer and sickle, for same reasons, even though USSR has murdered tens of millions of people, arguably more then Germany. Historical accuracy is a good thing. If you think any specific flag shouldn't be represented, might as well remove all of them. Anyway, I do think every nation should have carriers and/or other vessels, if any where designed in the era game covers, regardless if any of those where actually built. Variety makes for better gaming. 

I have to agree with MastahJedi on this one... then again, I'm not a forum mod, so my opinion doesn't mean much. A symbol is just an image, and as long as It's being used in a historical context, I don't see anything wrong with it. Then again, there are equally valid arguments against it... but whatever, that's just my two cents.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,582 posts
4,753 battles

Another one of those hybrid cruiser come aircraft carriers that can't do either well.  It carries too few aircraft to be really useful as a carrier and the main armament is too limited to stand up to "real" cruisers.  The presence of large amounts of avgas, aircraft, and ordinance only makes it more vulnerable in a surface action...  The USN learned, for example, to either fly off all the aircraft aboard on surface combatants or just push them overboard before a gun battle, along with putting all the aviation fuel aboard in containers that could be dumped over the side, because of the serious danger those posed as a fire hazard if hit by shell fire.

This sort of ship does nothing well.  That's why you don't see them being built.  The only exception was the Japanese who built a number of hybrid cruisers and battleships for seaplanes later in the war to make up for their losses in carriers.  There, they weren't doing it by choice but rather out of expediency to get something with aircraft at sea quickly.

• Cool 1

[FKK]
Members
580 posts
25,688 battles

Another one of those hybrid cruiser come aircraft carriers that can't do either well.  It carries too few aircraft to be really useful as a carrier and the main armament is too limited to stand up to "real" cruisers.  The presence of large amounts of avgas, aircraft, and ordinance only makes it more vulnerable in a surface action...  The USN learned, for example, to either fly off all the aircraft aboard on surface combatants or just push them overboard before a gun battle, along with putting all the aviation fuel aboard in containers that could be dumped over the side, because of the serious danger those posed as a fire hazard if hit by shell fire.

This sort of ship does nothing well.  That's why you don't see them being built.  The only exception was the Japanese who built a number of hybrid cruisers and battleships for seaplanes later in the war to make up for their losses in carriers.  There, they weren't doing it by choice but rather out of expediency to get something with aircraft at sea quickly.

Kudos. That was what I was about to post up here almost word for word. Does neither well, Exc for the IJNs which were too little, too late.

Beta Testers
127 posts
12,424 battles

I don't know about a whole line, but isn't the Graf Zeppelin in the works for a premium?  Don't know if that ever got confirmed though

I thought the Graf was confirmed as a Tier 6 Premium CV in one of the AMA recently.  If Graf Zepplin is going to be a premium, there no point in doing a CV line without her.