Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

When invisifiring goes away...

13 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,681 posts
17,537 battles

Assuming WG takes away open water invisifiring by making the gun bloom equal the firing range of the gun, will skills and modules that increase the range of the DD guns be a good or bad thing? You gain the ability to reach out and touch a target you couldn't reach before BUT you make yourself visible over a much larger area potentially inviting a lot more return fire.

If you primarily shoot from smoke, its a no-brainer. If you formally did a lot of invisifiring, it could be tough decision, especially for IJN DDs that rely on stealth more than any other.

Edited by Sabot_100

[WOLFG]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

It won't matter too much. If you're firing at someone from open water, it means that someone you shot at spotted you. If that ship is spotting you, the whole enemy team can see you, not just the ship you fired at. Increasing the range won't expose you more, shooting will always expose you no matter what once that change is made.

[RLGN]
Members
14,954 posts
26,484 battles

Isn't there also supposed to be variable exposure times? (If I recall the initial reports about this happening correctly...)

A tiny gunned DD like Akizuki will have a corespondingly tiny exposure time; while Yamato will likely be exposed for the greatest amount of time, (by gun bloom.)

[AXANR]
Members
3,647 posts
23,097 battles

It won't matter too much. If you're firing at someone from open water, it means that someone you shot at spotted you. If that ship is spotting you, the whole enemy team can see you, not just the ship you fired at. Increasing the range won't expose you more, shooting will always expose you no matter what once that change is made.

Not necessarily. What happens when you're in your IJN DD, you know what is around you, and you see a cruiser 8km away with 500 hp left? Right now, I can use my guns to finish him in one salvo and I know I'll go back into stealth without being spotted by anyone else. If my gun bloom goes up too much, it will be harder for me to take those opportunistic shots and still survive.  Shooting doesn't always expose you if you're smart about it as it stands. 

[CVA16]
Members
5,681 posts
17,537 battles

Long range shots are often low percentage shots anyway. You would now have to weigh more heavily if it is worth the exposure. If it most often isn't worth it, another skill/mod might be preferable.

If you hope to (and do) one shot a wounded ship at less than max range you are exposed to more of his buddies.

If you are using some cover, an intervening island or smoke, you would now have to worry more about enemies further out on the flanks.

[CVA16]
Members
5,681 posts
17,537 battles

Isn't there also supposed to be variable exposure times? (If I recall the initial reports about this happening correctly...)

Its a good idea but was this official or somebodies suggestion?

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,091 posts
22,671 battles

A tiny gunned DD like Akizuki will have a corespondingly tiny exposure time; while Yamato will likely be exposed for the greatest amount of time, (by gun bloom.)

I remember this as a suggestion in a thread a couple of days ago. The idea was to set gun bloom duration on the caliber of the gun. I would hope WG would do this but I haven't seen anything official.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,110 posts

All I've seen is Sub_Octavian's response to me in another thread - the change/fix is coming along with some CV interface changes. MY guess is a week, maybe two at most. But that's just MY guess. Have to wait till it hits PTS to know for sure. 

[CVA16]
Members
5,681 posts
17,537 battles

I remember this as a suggestion in a thread a couple of days ago. The idea was to set gun bloom duration on the caliber of the gun. I would hope WG would do this but I haven't seen anything official.

If it is only a week or so out WG has probably already decided on a model. Might have to wait until the next change to even hope for this if it isn't already there. Right now duration is the same for all guns, correct?

[USCC2]
Members
6,196 posts

So far whenever I've fired my IJN DD guns I've been seen anyway as my spot range is further than my guns. If I'm seen then pretty much everything I'm within range of can fire at me if it wants.

If I was a ship that could invisifire and that is taken away a buff to range allows me to shoot a little further, but as everyone can see me if one enemy ship does I see no real benefit. I just think it is another change that has to be made to cater for players that can't deal with it.

Its strange as for me invisifiring is similar to the RPF mechanic, if you're a IJN DD and know an enemy gunship has RPF you are running and dodging and trying to trick the player who has it, to come into range of the rest of your team. I've heard many on the forum state that is all you need to do to defeat it; I wonder why the same isn't said for invisifire?

Maybe because one affects the smaller classes where the other affects the bigger ships; maybe?

Edited by _WaveRider_

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,091 posts
22,671 battles

So far whenever I've fired my IJN DD guns I've been seen anyway as my spot range is further than my guns. If I'm seen then pretty much everything I'm within range of can fire at me if it wants.

If I was a ship that could invisifire and that is taken away a buff to range allows me to shoot a little further, but as everyone can see me if one enemy ship does I see no real benefit. I just think it is another change that has to be made to cater for players that can't deal with it.

Its strange as for me invisifiring is similar to the RPF mechanic, if you're a IJN DD and know an enemy gunship has RPF you are running and dodging and trying to trick the player who has it, to come into range of the rest of your team. I've heard many on the forum state that is all you need to do to defeat it; I wonder why the same isn't said for invisifire?

Maybe because one affects the smaller classes where the other affects the bigger ships; maybe?

Invisifire can be defeated by having a friendly DD or low-vis cruiser advance toward the DD doing the firing. At some point, if the DD keeps firing, the advancing friendly will be within visibility range and every friendly, already salivating at the opportunity, pours shells on the now helpless DD. The invisifiring DD has to take care to position himself to turn, smoke, and run in order to rinse and repeat.
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,196 posts

Invisifire can be defeated by having a friendly DD or low-vis cruiser advance toward the DD doing the firing. At some point, if the DD keeps firing, the advancing friendly will be within visibility range and every friendly, already salivating at the opportunity, pours shells on the now helpless DD. The invisifiring DD has to take care to position himself to turn, smoke, and run in order to rinse and repeat.

Thank you.

I have made a comparison on the similarities used to defeat Invisifiring and RPF on another thread. Unfortunately where luring the attacker into the trap works for both, your comments have just made me realise you can't chase down a RPF user until you figure out which ship has it (as well as needing 2 ships to do it). At least most know who has invisifire at the beginning of a game.

D'OH! Oh well, I'm learning everyday lol.:teethhappy:

Members
491 posts

This. I used to think the same thing, but on reflection, once you are detected - your detected by everybody. Increased range will give you a little more breathing room to maneuver.

Sign in to follow this