You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

How Playing New Ships Can Make You Better At Old Ships

8 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,912 posts
36,674 battles

So I really enjoy playing the Podvoisky.  Then Monday the Okhotnik comes out - gotta have her despite being a real oddball of a ship.  Some think she's OP, but I'm not one of them.  I do as well or better in the Pod.  That speed allows you to island ambush - even open water if your brave or have a running start in smokw.

I stole the Nicholas captain (again) when I got the Gearing.  Nicholas languished in port with no skipper.  Got to thinking... Nicholas has 5.5 km torps and launchers on both sides.  She's fast and more nimble than Okhotnik by a long shot.  Much faster rate of fire than either of the Russians.  Wait!  That idiot 10-point Indianapolis captain is in Reserve.  Put her in Nicholas, used Sims to get 10-point skills up and running.  First 2 games in Nicholas:  80K plus in 1 and 70K plus in the other, along with cap points, etc.

Turns out playing the Pod with its 4 km torps forced me to tune in even more to two things.  First, getting the first strike on the enemy DD.  Secondly and more important, using islands, smoke, or just distractions to get close to enemy BBs.  Close enough for 4 km torps to work.  But the same thing is easier with 5.5 km torps.  Even better with the Shinonome's 8 km torps.

Captain Obvious here, but I was reminded how much we can learn by playing different ships.  Not just once or twice but enough to get good at them.  I don't enjoy playing cruisers that much, but it makes me a better BB player to be thinking constantly about who can shoot at my broadside and focusing on position to isolate opponents.  Just like playing a really fast DD with 4km torps can help ALL of your torp boat play.

• Cool 2

Members
2,136 posts
5,764 battles

Yup, I can agree with that too since I got far better at playing the Nicholas after grinding to T7 on the pre-update Russian DD line. Before I played the RU DDs, I actually had something like 33% winrate on the Nicholas which I pushed up to 41% before I got to the Farragut.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,082 posts
22,645 battles

The Nicholas is a better gunboat with the A-Hull than with either the B- or C-Hulls. Her guns on the A-Hull are like Russian gunboat guns. No high arc with those. The ghastly USN DD arcs start with the Nicholas B-Hull all the way to Gearing.

Try the A-Hull.

Good luck and have fun.

Members
2,136 posts
5,764 battles

The Nicholas is a better gunboat with the A-Hull than with either the B- or C-Hulls.

C-hull? I am 100% sure that does not exist.
Edited by Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper
  • Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,082 posts
22,645 battles

C-hull? I am 100% sure that does not exist.

Oops. Used to, maybe...yes.

[RCNW3]
Members
1,943 posts
20,063 battles

That is a point, but sometimes forget that old ships do also get buffs and more fun to play.  Just reaquired the  Colorado - when first started the game, made the mistake of starting  on American BBs, did not use doubloons, so mostly grinded the hulls, did horribly.  Spent a great deal of time in a Colorado, cursing the ship, and could not wait to sell..... now after some buffs and more experience the ship still is slow and lumbering, but can be a strong performer.  I think there is a lot of "opportunity" to rediscover some ships that you may have had in the past that could be enjoyable now.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,194 posts
13,774 battles

Playing new ships often forces you to switch up your strategies and playstyles, which in turn can go back to your old ships and help you greatly.

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,647 posts
23,083 battles

The Nicholas is a better gunboat with the A-Hull than with either the B- or C-Hulls. Her guns on the A-Hull are like Russian gunboat guns. No high arc with those. The ghastly USN DD arcs start with the Nicholas B-Hull all the way to Gearing.

Try the A-Hull.

Good luck and have fun.

That's why I love my Clemson. T4 protected matchmaking and those same amazing guns.