Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

Help me decide on how to finish building my GK

13 comments in this topic

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
5,919 battles

So, got my GK last night and so far it is living up to the hype and my expectations of what she would be.  Only 11 games so far, but I am rolling with just over a 70% win rate ( I know, small sample size), but I like that given that my first 4 games were commander training and there were some really REALLY poor outings during that.  Like 7k-12k outings.  Also given the serious potato factor that seemed to be happening around 11pm PST last night and the fact I came away with any wins is surprising.  Once the commander got trained and I got the bug worked out that was causing my secondaries to not engage anything outside of 8k, the beat downs have commenced and this girl can dish out some HURT!  It deletes most cruisers with one salvo like you dropped a nuke on them and the seconds thump hard.  IT doesn't seem to throw the rain like the FD did, but when it starts hitting it starts taking good size bites (for secondaries).

So,  on to finishing her off.   I am a brawler.  I love it.  That is my game and why I spent months grinding my way here after spending a LOT of time in the Yam trying to make her do something she just wasn't the best at.  Next to the brawl, I love deleting camping cruisers.  I will seek you out behind your  little island and the second you poke your nose out, BOOM.

Right now my commander is set up with BFT, Manual seconds, and AFT.  I have 12 points and when I get to 13 I was thinking of adding Demolition Expert for the +2 fire chance.  I could wait until 14 for HE fuse, but I played around a lot with that in Yam, Bis, FD, and came away less than excited.  I have heard that HE fuse on GK adds some serious punch given her secondary size, so that could be something I try.

I am using the stock main guns, but am curious if I should upgrade to the 460's.  I like the fast reloads now and 3 seconds is 3 looong seconds sometimes.  Is the step up worth it?  She can deal a butt whopping now, but if the whoopin's take a big step up I would gladly give up those 3 seconds.

In my upgrade slots I have the Aux Arm 1 and Secondary Battery 2.  So, no wiping out my seconds or AA and +20% range and -20% dispersion on secondaries.  I am waffling between Main Battery 3 and Secondary Battery 3 in my 3rd slot.  An even faster reload time now would be awesome and it would also serve to offset some of the loss in reload time if I jump up to the 460's and I gain a little traverse speed which is also nice on certain occasions.  The secondary 3 options gives me a healthy 20% reduction in reload time on the seconds which can put a lot more shells down on those sneaky DD's that get a little too close.  Given the damage she can do with her seconds, this seems like an appealing option.  In lower tiers I think the main gun buff would be a no brainer, but I am having a hard time here.

I'll take DC 1 in slot 4, which leaves slot 5.   DC 2 seems like the best bet, but is there an advantage to either the propulsion or rudder shift boosts?  I do like to turn to get away from torps.

And the last one.  Target acquisition seems like a no brainer, but any recommendations for the concealment?   Seems like even with the concealment buff I am going to be perma spotted once the game gets going, so unless I am way out of the battle ( see "brawler" above), I don't see much need for it.

Thanks.  Looking forward to the input.

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0000100000100010000010011000100019

<- my skills build

Target Acquisition System is a must. Torps are this things biggest weakness. I love concealment, but this is one of only two or three ships I don't use it. I recommend full premium consumables, too many fires at t10, every torp causes flooding, you want that fourth heal with the quicker cooldown, and hydro is your best friend. You can pass on the premium fighter to save money.

The good news about a secondary build is that it buffs your AA too.

There are no 460s, 406mm and 420mm are your options. 406mm has better DPM and similar pen. I prefer it.

I use MBM3, it gets my reload down to 25.5, which is absurd for a BB with that broadside power, when damaged it gets into the low 20s.

The problem with a 100% secondary build is you reduce your effectiveness at more common fighting ranges, IFHE isn't worth it IMO, superior German pen means you will pen superstructures etc consistently.

My full upgrade list is:

Main Armaments Mod 1

Secondary Battery 2

Main Battery Mod 3

DCS1

Steering Gears 2 (important for dodging torps and long range fire, this behemoth turns like a brick)

Target Acquisition System

The 406mm guns can consistently citadel any target at medium range if fired accurately. I've even put some multi-citadel volleys on German BBs. At closer range you can't citadel German BBs, but you can shred anything else.

With that said, enjoy this gif of my buttslapping a Yamato for a kill. (h/t to LightninAvenger for giffifying my moment of glory)

QS79fVL.gif

• Cool 1

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
5,919 battles

Yeah sorry.  I confused the 406 an d 420.   I like the steering buff also.  thanks for that  input.  Curious why you pick the main in the 1 slot over keeping your AA and Seconds alive?   For a brawler keep in mind. 

[NG-NL]
Members
6,259 posts
10,088 battles

Yeah sorry.  I confused the 406 an d 420.   I like the steering buff also.  thanks for that  input.  Curious why you pick the main in the 1 slot over keeping your AA and Seconds alive?   For a brawler keep in mind. 

Secondaries have a lot more HP than AA. They're very hardy. Only reliable way to destroy them is with AP rounds. HE just seems to do less damage, and either round requires a direct hit to damage the secondaries.

For a brawler BB, MB is the main source of damage unless RNGesus gives you the middle finger. Secondaries simply aren't going to dish out enough damage while you're under attack. They're a backup offense tool, not primary offense.

IFHE is one of the meanest skills a secondary build BB can take. German secondaries have better pen values than other nation's secondaries, and with IFHE, the HE rounds will pen even enemy GK's bow armor. In other words, the HE rounds will now do damage. WIthout IFHE, you're praying for fires to be started since the HE is stuck exploding outside where it does 0 damage. I think Notser or another famous WOWS youtuber posted a comparison where he put sec-specced GK facing a bow-on Yammy. With IFHE, the Yammy died in about 1:29, whereas the non-IFHE took over 3 minutes.

Don't know about you, but taking a build that lets your enemy have more chance to fight back is stupid.

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
5,919 battles

Secondaries have a lot more HP than AA. They're very hardy. Only reliable way to destroy them is with AP rounds. HE just seems to do less damage, and either round requires a direct hit to damage the secondaries.

For a brawler BB, MB is the main source of damage unless RNGesus gives you the middle finger. Secondaries simply aren't going to dish out enough damage while you're under attack. They're a backup offense tool, not primary offense.

IFHE is one of the meanest skills a secondary build BB can take. German secondaries have better pen values than other nation's secondaries, and with IFHE, the HE rounds will pen even enemy GK's bow armor. In other words, the HE rounds will now do damage. WIthout IFHE, you're praying for fires to be started since the HE is stuck exploding outside where it does 0 damage. I think Notser or another famous WOWS youtuber posted a comparison where he put sec-specced GK facing a bow-on Yammy. With IFHE, the Yammy died in about 1:29, whereas the non-IFHE took over 3 minutes.

Don't know about you, but taking a build that lets your enemy have more chance to fight back is stupid.

​Yeah I saw that video and he posted it in response to my other thread about HE fuse seconds.  It was impressive to watch, but how often can you sit broadside to a  bow on Yam that doesn't shoot back and just hit her with seconds.  I would say...umm...never.   I did take away that HE fuse on the GK can do some damage, but outside of that the video was staged and not a realistic depiction of what happens in a game. 

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
5,919 battles

I would further counter that if you did sit, like he did in the video, broadside to that bow on yam, that even as glorious as the GK is, you would be deleted long before your seconds ever came into play.  I can say this as a Yam driver that has taken on many a GK and know my upsides and my downs.

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
5,919 battles

​For any BB the main guns are your source of damage.  In a brawl lighting that guy up and keeping him burning is what gives you the win.  Secondaries, as you noted, don't do a lot of damage.  HE fused seconds do a bit more, but a bit more from nothing still ain't much.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,259 posts
10,088 battles

Suggest you find out if IFHE enables secondaries to pen anywhere on a cruiser. If I remember right T9-10 CAs get around 31-32mm which is enough to block non-IFHE secondaries.

Cause if this is true, IFHE would be a no-brainer.

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Reymu already answered this for the most part, but I don't find I lose a lot of AA and secondaries, but losing a main gun even once or twice in a battle can be devastating, especially because the most common way to lose one is an overpen from an enemy BB at close range, when the gun is most vital. Not sure if this is the right decision, but I'm comfortable in my choice.

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
5,919 battles

Reymu already answered this for the most part, but I don't find I lose a lot of AA and secondaries, but losing a main gun even once or twice in a battle can be devastating, especially because the most common way to lose one is an overpen from an enemy BB at close range, when the gun is most vital. Not sure if this is the right decision, but I'm comfortable in my choice.

​I agree.  I use the captain skill that reduces the chance for module damage to help counter that and at the higher T BB's losing main guns isn't quite as commonplace.   Though I did have it happen in one game where I lost (destroyed) both of my front main turrets on the FD as I was already heading into and fully committed to a brawl.  That sucked and no need to say how that turned out.  lol.

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

This is the build you use for your captain on the GK:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100100000000010000001001100100019

These are your module choices:

AAM1, SBM2, MBM3, DCSM1, SGM2, TASM1

You run premium consumables for your heal and repair party.  If you can afford it, run them for your sonar.  If you don't care about credits, use premium on your catapult plane as well.  Use the ones with the longest duration.

When you build the ship this way, you are ignoring most of the defensive survivability captain skills, save Fire Prevention.  You don't get Basics of Survivability, High Alert or Jack of All Trades.  In short, the build leaves your GK pretty defenseless.  This is because you need all those captain points to make the secondary build work.  When you take Fire Prevention, you turn your superstructure from 2 fire zones into 1.  This means that you will never have more than 1 fire going in the middle of your ship.  You will likely never see 3 fires since 3 is the max you can have with this build.   My experience has always been that people are much more likely to set 2 fires in the middle since that's where most folks aim.  By reducing the number of fires to 1 in the middle, you don't have to worry about reducing your repair party cooldowns or reducing fire time since you are on fire significantly less.  And since you're going to be in CCQ range a lot of the time, reducing the number of fires you have going at any one time is very important, especially as enemy ships ai gunners are targeting the middle of your ship with their secondary's.  By taking FP, you have cut in half the fire damage that an enemy GK or FDG or Yamato is going to to you in terms of fire damage. 

The reason you take double catapult fighter is since you're taking superintendent for the extra heal and sonar charge, you are missing vigilence, which makes you vulnerable to torpedos.  Given that your detection range is crappy anyway, you take TASM1 in the 6th upgrade slot to give you a little more heads up on torpedos and a little extra spotting when your sonar is on cooldown, but you still need to charge that DD sitting in smoke.  More planes means better torpedo spotting.  Also, since you're taking Preventative Maintenance, you can use AAM1 in your first upgrade slot which adds 100% survivability to your secondaries and AA.  This synergizes well with the German BB secondary build while still giving your main guns good damage reduction.

It's not a pure secondary build as the build doesn't allow for BFT or the ROF increasing module upgrades.  However, if you are going to be getting in close with other ships, especially other battleships, you HAVE to have some survivability.  The build I posted above is, IMO, quite a good way to get both.

These are my numbers in the GK if you're looking to see how effective this build can be.

Icon Name Tier Type Nation Battles ▼ WR Dmg XP K/D Sh☠ Pl☠ Srv MBH TH WTR

PGSB110.png Großer Kurfürst 10 BB Germany 53 66.04% 145,521 2,482 4.3 2.0 3.2 55% 36% 0% 1,805
Edited by Pope_Shizzle
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,222 posts
24,618 battles

@Pope_Shizzle

I've been looking to change my GK build I'll give yours a whirl.  Thankfully my captain on her is full 19pts.  I was very reluctant to change it around because I used that same GK captain on Scharnhorst and in 0.6.0 that's a very different trait set.  But now I'm having my FDG captain be used on Scharnhorst, so that leaves my GK one open to alteration.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this