You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RivertheRoyal

Weekendus Potatoe

12 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

There has long been a phenomena observed by forumites—that of the Weekendus Potatoe.

The core of this phenomena involves;

A.) A timeframe where more people have joined the server.

B.) A sudden and inexplicable drop in the quality of gameplay.

C.) In some accounts, pure distilled idiocy.

Core A. is most often observed as being times where people are able to access the game for longer periods of time in a single sitting. Given these conditions, the weekend should come freely to mind. For those either at school, or taking on a regular day job, those two days might be the only bits of free time they have access to, and the times when they chose to play the game World of Warships, often abbreviated as WoWs.

Core B. has been mentioned multiple times with the ebbing of the weekend on these forums, with complaints ranging from rational and reasonable conversation delving into the root causes of the Weekendus Potatoe phenomena, to posts who's synopsis should probably read as a simple and concise "Waa~!"

Now, I suggest that instead of a simple and easy concluded drop in the quality of gameplay, we are looking at a changing of the core dynamics of gameplay and tactics on the weekends, subtile though it might be. In laymen's terms, this would be called a "meta change". The possibility of such a suggestion is further explored later in this post.

Core C. is the resulting product of several factors, but boils down to people making poor decisions in the game—decisions which would seem impossibly foolhardy to those of us with a discerning eye and experience backing up our judgment. I will not speak of this specific issue any further than saying one thing—There are always going to be worse players than your own person. Judge them not, as they know no better.

My first contention against the Weekendus Potatoe phenomena is the fact that students are normally attributed as being the culprits behind the sudden drops in gameplay quality, as schools let out for the weekend and they suddenly find themselves having time to contribute to the game.

The issue with this theorem is the almost automatic assumption that it must be the students who are bad at the game, when in reality player skill averages are likely distributed evenly among all age groups.

Hence why I'm postulating that there's instead a subtle meta change on the weekends. The people who play on the weekdays normally operate by a different meta, and thus are unused to those small changes over the weekend. The reason why forumites can attest to the weekends making for miserable play might be summed up in a simple turning of phrase:

"Never argue with an idiot. You'll be dragged down to their level and beat to death by their experience."

Simply, those weekend warriors know the weekend meta, while we here on the forums who play nearly every day must adjust to it. Too often though, the weekend losses are instead attributed to other things, leaving us unable or unwilling to adjust for the changes.  

So, in conclusion, the phenomena known as Weekendus Potatoe is simply the result of a slight shift in meta, and we need only adjust to said weekend meta.

TL;DR—Don't blame the idiots, idiot.

I'll admit this was supposed to be a bit of a joke when I came up with the idea. It kinda turned half-way serious part way through though—especially with the bit about blaming students for bad games on the weekend.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this little mock-paper. :P 

• Cool 2

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Just gotta bring out the CVs on weekends. People that play all week long know how to avoid them, and are quite resistant to salt farm.

Members
272 posts
5,408 battles

I'll admit this was supposed to be a bit of a joke when I came up with the idea. It kinda turned half-way serious part way through though—especially with the bit about blaming students for bad games on the weekend.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this little mock-paper. :P 

Are we supposed to take you seriously or is this a troll post? The "bit of", "kind of" don't really help...

I see a conclusion but may have missed the evidence or examples. I don't believe the meta changes temporarily, but I'm also one who doesn't think the weekend gameplay is any different than weekdays.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Are we supposed to take you seriously or is this a troll post? The "bit of", "kind of" don't really help...

I see a conclusion but may have missed the evidence or examples. I don't believe the meta changes temporarily, but I'm also one who doesn't think the weekend gameplay is any different than weekdays.

I just really wanted to use the words Weekendus Potatoe. :P 
Edited by RivertheRoyal

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Ah, okay, is that a reference? I usually don't get those..

Nope. Not at all. Like I said, I just really wanted to use those words. 

Members
272 posts
5,408 battles

Nope. Not at all. Like I said, I just really wanted to use those words. 

Haha okay, now I just feel like I've intruded into the wrong room.

Members
6,168 posts
7,861 battles

I've always thought that the "weekend potato phenomenon" was due to a meta shift in the game. I find this is easily observable from my own point of view, as I've found that on weekends, my performance usually remains consistent with my averages, but it seems that my ability to influence games like during the weekdays changes. And of course, there are also those times that this meta shift causes me to be 'out of position' and I become the potato, so to speak.

However, I've never actually been able to identify what this shift is, or why, or how it happens. It would certainly make for an interesting forum discussion, trying to discern why, how, and what the meta shift on weekends is.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
894 posts
3,937 battles

While your theory is not completely off I would also say that its not just that they might play on a different meta they believe the game should be played, but also for some the lack of experience. There will be those who have played enough of the game to understand its in's and out's but also it could be pointed out those who have more time to play have more experience and a better understanding of the game.

A person can be gifted to be naturally good at a game but for many it is the experience and practice that comes with playing the game that often makes them better players.

Also enjoy my 400th post I gave it to you.

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

C.) In some accounts, pure distilled idiocy.

Except distilling is a form of refinement.... and there aint nothing refined about this situation, other than your post.....