You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Ideas for improving lower tier games

33 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Imagine this.

You're in the Bogatyr duking it out mano-a-mano with the St Louis on the Solomons map. Each ship delivers deafening broadside after broadside until both ships have seen half of their HP blown or burnt away. Suddenly the two ships collide with a terrifying sound of twisting and shearing metal. You realize the opportunity instantly and sound the call for your men to throw grappling hooks over the St. Louis. Once it's been lashed securely to your side, you signal your marines to board and capture her crew. After the enemy captain surrenders his sword to you, you tow your prize back to port.

This might even work with T6+.

Just thinkin' out loud here.

:izmena:

[NATO]
Members
160 posts
24,523 battles

There are so many instances of this happening during the period covered here. While it would probably be as much fun as a submarine *sarcasm* I just have to say I want American boarding party ... course then you need more machine guns on deck, but I digress. 

[REEF]
Beta Testers
894 posts
10,836 battles

Imagine this.

You're in the Bogatyr duking it out mano-a-mano with the St Louis on the Solomons map. Each ship delivers deafening broadside after broadside until both ships have seen half of their HP blown or burnt away. Suddenly the two ships collide with a terrifying sound of twisting and shearing metal. You realize the opportunity instantly and sound the call for your men to throw grappling hooks over the St. Louis. Once it's been lashed securely to your side, you signal your marines to board and capture her crew. After the enemy captain surrenders his sword to you, you tow your prize back to port.

This might even work with T6+.

Just thinkin' out loud here.

:izmena:

I suggest you try this game if that is what you want.

http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

What they could implement is the brawling consumable:

When you activate this consumable your crew will use hand guns and the AA-armament to attck the enemies superstructure. Why? Because during night battles the distances dropped to ~500m that's why. Imagine all the dakka going on during such a brawl

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,016 battles

Blasto!! You mad fool you!! How's it goin buddy?

I gotta tell ya; this isn't the stupidest idea I've ever heard, and it would give all those tier 1 and 2 ships which carry AA weapons a chance to use them.

Couple of points though:

1. Will players be able to take a "captured" ship into the game and use it against the red team?

(and if yes, does it keep it's reduced hit points or can it be repaired?)

2. Will a player be able to keep the "captured" ship and use it in matches?

(Big problem with premium ships here)

3. Does the "capturing" player get to keep the "captured" Captain, or is he released? Can he be ransomed?

(Captain could be "unavailable" until ransom is paid by losing player)

Missed your posts of late, Blasto old buddy, glad to see you're still alive and kikkin!

PS, please keep working on this and your other good ideas.

Edited by Umikami
  • Cool 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,470 posts
8,179 battles

A one time per capture use of a premium ship might actually encourage more people to buy it.

And just imagine the glory when half the enemy team thinks they can capture your rare Imperator Nikolai only to discover you've got a premium consumable of drunken Russian marines below decks waiting for a chance to crack some skulls.

Members
272 posts
5,408 battles

I gotta tell ya; this isn't the stupidest idea I've ever heard, and it would give all those tier 1 and 2 ships which carry AA weapons a chance to use them.

Couple of points though:

1. Will players be able to take a "captured" ship into the game and use it against the red team?

3. Does the "capturing" player get to keep the "captured" Captain, or is he released? Can he be ransomed?

Missed your posts of late, Blasto old buddy, glad to see you're still alive and kikkin!

Finally an idea that I can get behind. I think if you capture a ship then you get to keep it and take it to port, while the other player simply loses it, only premium ships get the exclusion (so people buy more of them - I should become a WG employee). You win if you capture every ship in the game and add it to your port.

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Couple of points though:

I try to drop by whenever time permits to say hello friend, fans, and trolls.

How are you doing these days, my friend? Had any good battles lately?

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,511 battles

Bad idea all around IMO. There are several huge flaws in your logic:

1.) In order to use this you will have to get in to give or take suicide range in order to use it, which in most cases if you're in that position then you're screwed no matter what you do. Lots of ships at all tiers have torpedoes, and when you get to that range you're gonna get torped to hell and back a couple times. Not to mention insane secondary battery firepower on several ships at higher tiers (Ahem Bismarck), if the secondaries don't get you, the main batteries will. 

2.) No need. The game is fine how it is. The introduction of this sort of mechanic will only needlessly complicate things that were already perfectly fine before

3.) No counters. In the current game, ships like DDs are countered by CA, CAs are countered by BBs, and BBs are countered by DDs and CVs. Unless every ship in the game comes with this, then there will be no way to defend against it. A BB will just get boarded and taken over, during which there is absolutely nothing he can do about it, regardless of tier difference, class, and skill. But if all ships have it, then the two ships will just board each other and basically cancel each other out. 

So how about a big fat NO?

Members
1,515 posts
8,071 battles

I don't see it happening, while I think it's cool, I have no faith in WG ever implementing it properly.

Just go play Empire total war with darthmod installed for some epic naval battles and boarding parties.

Members
4,302 posts
3,255 battles

Someone takes the ship I payed for and the captain i invested my time to level back to their port and I walk from the game and don't look back

• Cool 1

Members
4,302 posts
3,255 battles

I should explain some more. This will be used for nothing but griefing. 

I detest a player. I open a chat window with him but don't chat (this exploit is why the Corgi fleet should never set sail again btw)

I see what tier he is playing, I queue up the perfect ship for that tier. I wait until the crossed swords are display than I will hit battle and sync drop with him. And I keep doing this until I have all his ships.

Clans will go on vendettas against other clans, picking off the members one by one. You will see 10 clan members sync dropping with the enemy just to get an edge.

Divisions will target a single ship like privateers.

It would literally and without hyperbole, ruin the game 

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles

What the hell?  BOARDING!?  Were not in the Sailing days....really...

There isnt enough fighting men on board to take over any other ship....no, just no..