Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BrassFire

Operation Wandering Soul

5 comments in this topic

Members
515 posts
306 battles

Also known as "Ghost Tape Number 10" was an audio mix the US military used for psychological operations in the Vietnam War against the North Vietnamese. It played deeply on the Vietnamese belief of ancestor worship, spirits and the afterlife.The Wandering Soul was played on loudspeakers installed on helicopters, PCF boats or by infiltrating infantry 'loudspeaker teams' on known enemy areas usually at night deep within the jungle. 

"It exploited the belief among many of the Vietnamese people that once a person is dead the remains must be placed in an ancestral burial ground or that person will forever wander aimlessly in space. The tape was so effective that we were instructed not to play it within earshot of the South Vietnamese forces, because they were as susceptible as the Viet Cong or North Vietnamese Army. Wandering Soul' broadcasts of eerie sounds intended to represent the souls of enemy dead who have not found peace (i.e. by being buried in the village family plot)...the idea was that the sounds would at least get a Communist soldier to think about where his soul would rest in the likely event of his being killed far from home." - LTC Raymond Deitch, 6th PSYOP Battalion Commander

Even though this didn't work too well as an op, I have this to say: please hug me I'm scared.

P.S.: A Singaporean friend of mine understood some of the words:

"It's basically begging someone (presumably a deity) for a chance to rest. Along with some dialogue."

Edited by BrassFire

Members
515 posts
306 battles

I still think Jericho Trumpet would have worked better...

The Jericho Trumpets were an issue for Stukas since they effected the aerial performance.

Sign in to follow this