Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
choSenfroZen_1

Just started Yesterday, WOT convert

14 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
373 battles

Decided to try this out, at Christmas before last one of the kids got me some deal on a ship. I installed the game but did not try it til yesterday.

Long time artillery player with tanks, finally got  sick of the abuse and harassment a friend suggested I try this out. 

It is fun.

I assume there are unicum tutorials, are there mods as well?

Edited by choSenfroZen_1

[--K--]
Members
5,388 posts
17,886 battles

Welcome aboard sailor; May the wind be at your back, your enemies sail straight, the enemy torpedoes miss by a mile and RNG be always in your favor. Remember to watch the mini map, change course and speed and use AP on board side ships at the water line. Don't get lost or sail alone, don't hug islands to close, don't show your broad side, push with your team, don't hang back in sniper mode and Have fun. Smoke on the water is dangerous, avoid friendly fire and don't feed the trolls. For any thing else use search or just ask.

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes you, 
See you top side.

P.s. the Youtube channels of iChase, Notser, Flamu and even the Might Jingles has really good content for WoWs. The more you learn the better a captain you will become and the less you will be surprised. Also reading Patch notes is useful. 

There are lots of mod packs for WoWs, Aslain has one. But I would recommend using the WoWs official mod pack its supported and gets updated quickly, also side benefit if you're using the WoWs official mod pack there is no risk of breaking the rules. 

Members
6 posts
373 battles

AH, I have used Aslain's mods for WOT's, thanks, but will use the WOW ,  the tanks have big problems, and different servers have different mod rules, was silly and there was no official mod pack.

Trolls, I have noticed every game so far team killers, is that part of the game, because of  distances or are they just sad players?

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

Decided to try this out, at Christmas before last one of the kids got me some deal on a ship. I installed the game but did not try it til yesterday.

Long time artillery player with tanks, finally got  sick of the abuse and harassment a friend suggested I try this out. 

It is fun.

I assume there are unicum tutorials, are there mods as well?

Welcome to WOWs I am a WOT Blitz player that started WOWs 3 weeks ago lol taken some getting used like hit ratio about killed me when I saw it since in Blitz I keep it at 90% or higher on most tanks lol.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Members
5,388 posts
17,886 battles

AH, I have used Aslain's mods for WOT's, thanks, but will use the WOW ,  the tanks have big problems, and different servers have different mod rules, was silly and there was no official mod pack.

Trolls, I have noticed every game so far team killers, is that part of the game, because of  distances or are they just sad players?

Team killing is frowned upon but it can happen either due to foolishness, not knowing what your weapons systems are capable of or the classic jerky potato out to cause drama. If a player kills a friendly they turn Pink for 5 games. Any damage they do to friendly ships after turning pink is reflected back to them. Its possible to see a ship kill itself because of this. 

Torpedoes are probably the weapon that gets a lot of people into trouble. If fired while friendlies are in the line of travel you can ruin the day of a green ship. Also any team damage done during battle will be taken out of the offending parties earnings. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Intentional team killing is relatively fair, but seeing pink players is not. Players turn pink for something as little as setting an ally on fire who chooses to let it burn or one incidental torpedo. While obviously those are bad things, the vast majority of friendly fire in this game is wholly unintentional.

That being said there are some basic lessons that are trite but important. Don't sail in straight lines, don't get caught out where you shouldn't be (BBs should never sail alone, cruisers should never be charging in early on). Make sure your not gonna hit any allies when you drop torps. Most importantly pay attention, that's how you learn.

Have fun and good hunting.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
339 posts
4,345 battles

hi there :honoring: also a long time WOT player. gonna copy and paste what i said in a different thread here bc its about coming from WOT to WOWS....

Winning. its all about winning.

now bear with me on this one...

I was way stoked for WOWS when it was 1st announced. i did everything to get in, and finally got in to closed beta. played as much as i could and was pretty good. then for whatever reason, i lost interest in WOWS as it hit release. went back to playing WOT as my main game. i did occasionally log in and have the odd game, but months would go by, patches would go by between me logging in. then all of a sudden, i started again. WOWS has made it so that i haven't logged into WOT in nearly 2 weeks for the first time since 2012. to keep me away from WOT is massive for me. and im thoroughly enjoying WOWS. but, and heres the thing, im not as good as i used to be. and i think i now know why.

im not a natural talent in most things. im one of those guys who believes you can be great at something if you truly apply yourself, learn as much as you can and just do everything in your power to be better. this was the attitude i had towards WOT. at about 20,000 games in it, i decided i didnt want to be a yellow player anymore. i wanted to be green. i wanted to improve and get better. it took me a year, but i eventually got my wn8 up to 1500 from 900. i had to change everything, from the tanks i drove to the way i drove them, from the calls i made when the team was all still alive to the plays i had to make to carry when everyone was dead. but i did it and im proud of myself. sure im not a unicum, but for me, it was a personally satisfying achievement.

and this brings me back to WOWS. WOT, and trying to be the best i could be in it, broke me for WOWS. why? bc they have 2 totally different metas. in WOT, a good player can solo carry if he needs to. i could go into a game comfortable in the knowledge that against 7/10 players, i could take them on and win. in WOWS, you cant. you NEED a team. and as such, you need to make decisions that will benefit the team from the word go, not just yourself.

and here in lies my epiphany. for the last couple of days ive been trying to find a way to make myself a better WOWS player. ive been looking at stats and have admittedly, become fixated on damage numbers, thinking that here in lies the key. but it isnt. a good WOWS player is yes, of course, concerned with doing damage. but that isnt the no 1 factor in the game. damage comes as a result of doing things to win.

you have to make decisions that will influence the game for a win. not decisions that will cost you your team and then think you can carry. for me, this game doesn't work like that. and im sure there are many others out there who came from WOT that may have had the same mentality as me.

so hopefully this realization will mean i can stop trying to be a good WOT player in a Captains chair, and become a good Captain full stop.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

Intentional team killing is relatively fair, but seeing pink players is not. Players turn pink for something as little as setting an ally on fire who chooses to let it burn or one incidental torpedo. While obviously those are bad things, the vast majority of friendly fire in this game is wholly unintentional.

That being said there are some basic lessons that are trite but important. Don't sail in straight lines, don't get caught out where you shouldn't be (BBs should never sail alone, cruisers should never be charging in early on). Make sure your not gonna hit any allies when you drop torps. Most importantly pay attention, that's how you learn.

Have fun and good hunting.

Yeah I have turned pink before thanks to "allies" running right though a torpedo broadside I was sending at enemy. Not sure what team thinks sometimes when you are a group of Destroyers taking turns sending your topedies at enemy then turning around to reload and still one of your team decides to get into the kill zone... lol most pink players got that color accidently. Only seen coupe guys so far after 400 battles I have had that actually deliberately earned pink status.
  • Cool 1

Members
6 posts
373 battles

Yeah, WOT's, this past week has been brutal, 14 times in 25 games, was rammed, pushed into water to drown or, pushed into fire, and every one of those games, constant abuse from team members about being "sky cancer". I think I will give it a break. I like the idea of a team, I always played that way anyhow (not well), I was in the last sandbox tests for a new meta, it would add to the team play as now everyone just plays as 1 of the 15 on team, all just looking for points. If they use the new artillery meta I might just have 2 on-line shoot em up's. TY for the welcome folks.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

Welcome aboard, the Tutorials give an idea on how the game and in particular ship lines Destroyers ,Cruisers,Battleships and Aircraft Carriers work, there is no complete in one place operating manual at Wows, for the most part its trial by fire, Its a good idea to do Co-op games were your team fights Botts instead of real players and is an easier game play to get the basics

Have fun

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts
373 battles

A couple of more question if someone has the time.

The cap, does more ships in the circle make it faster, and is there a limit where it makes no difference.?

WOT is gets faster up to three tanks in the cap, then the difference is in the resetting, if there is more than 3 you have to damage the tanks who were in first.

Destroyers, their guns seem very powerful and have sunk my cruisers alone several times, or am I just letting the little boogers get too close?

Edited by choSenfroZen_1

Sign in to follow this