You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Iron_Knickers

Did they buff Montana?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
701 posts
1,305 battles

I haven't played in a while but I feel like Montana didn't used to have 409mm side armor, does this mean that it won't be squishy anymore? 

Does this mean it might be worth playing the Montana?

Also can Yamato still overpen from the nose?

Edited by Iron_Knickers

[JUGGZ]
Members
256 posts
2,930 battles

Only thing that's been buffed is its deck armor I believe, but they're looking at lowering its citadel.  Yamato can still overmatch its bow, but Yamato overmatches everything.  I quite like the Montana and think it's worth playing as it is, I got my first 200k damage game in it and find it more fun to play than my Yamato.  It's still squishy broadside, but so is every battleship.  I find it pretty tanky when angled.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 4

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,306 posts
12,210 battles

I believe, but they're looking at lowering its citadel.

This is proof that God exists for those that needed proof here on these forums and no im not being religious WG, please don't hurt me
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
701 posts
1,305 battles

Only thing that's been buffed is its deck armor I believe, but they're looking at lowering its citadel.  Yamato can still overmatch its bow, but Yamato overmatches everything.  I quite like the Montana and think it's worth playing as it is, I got my first 200k damage game in it and find it more fun to play than my Yamato.  It's still squishy broadside, but so is every battleship.  I find it pretty tanky when angled.

Wow it only took them years, are they doing this for Iowa too

[-KIA-]
Members
5,194 posts
13,778 battles

Yamato can still overmatch its bow, but Yamato overmatches everything. 

TRY OVERMATCHING THIS YAMATO

xFZDjzs.png

dGWWrWk.jpg

• Cool 5

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,862 posts
16,499 battles

If they did give the Montana some love, it surly needed it. Granted it has the Best accuracy out of the current 3 tier 10 BBs but other than its better top speed., it really lacked the armor to compete with the other 2. AND YES, it does have better AA then Yamato and Grosser, but CVs are very rare these days, so we can't really factor that in as a pro.:sceptic:

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,862 posts
16,499 battles

I love my Montana can't wait to see how she does when they lower her Citadel in 0.6.3

same, hopefully they'll increase her rudder shift a smidge too.:read_fish:

Beta Testers
701 posts
1,305 battles

I love my Montana can't wait to see how she does when they lower her Citadel in 0.6.3

Will they lower the iowas citadel?

Beta Testers
403 posts
16,466 battles

Will they lower the iowas citadel?

Iowa (Missouri too) and Montana are getting their citadels lowered in 0.6.3. from what the devs have said. 

Alpha Tester
1,478 posts
3,268 battles

Anyone know of changes to the Izumo? i dont think its so bad anymore, but it would be nice if it didnt play like a brick with a shotgun strapped to the front of it.

Beta Testers
403 posts
16,466 battles

Anyone know of changes to the Izumo? i dont think its so bad anymore, but it would be nice if it didnt play like a brick with a shotgun strapped to the front of it.

Considering its winrate I doubt it will be changed.

[ONE38]
Members
3,781 posts
13,344 battles

Iowa (Missouri too) and Montana are getting their citadels lowered in 0.6.3. from what the devs have said. 

I'm fairly sure they originally said 0.6.4, did that change/buff get moved up?

Alpha Tester
1,478 posts
3,268 battles

Considering its winrate I doubt it will be changed.

Its win rate is lower than both the iowa and the Montana.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,831 posts
5,201 battles

Izumo just needs some armor layering instead of uniform 32mm along the belt (just a bit more to resist IFHE to the sides like all other battleships in the tier are able to), and more secondaries; 2-3 more triple AP 155s on the aft, and at least 2 more DP mounts immediately behind the smokestacks, both of them like the A-140/A design.  The citadel-inducing aircraft hangar bay should be removed in the process thanks to the addition of the Triple AP 155s.

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,912 battles

I bow tank Yamatos in my Hindenburg all the time, as long as the range is short enough they don't plunge fire me, I'm pretty safe. I actually fear Yamatos far more at distance that close.

[JUGGZ]
Members
256 posts
2,930 battles

I bow tank Yamatos in my Hindenburg all the time, as long as the range is short enough they don't plunge fire me, I'm pretty safe. I actually fear Yamatos far more at distance that close.

Yeah in practice I still bounce/have shells bounced or just miss entirely.  I can only remember getting citted by a Yamato through the front a couple times.

[PSA]
Members
5,113 posts
3,732 battles

The problem with Montana's armor is that even 409mm isn't strong enough to prevent citadels from 15 or 16 inch guns fired at the engagement ranges involved in this game. In one of my first top tier matches last year, my Tirpitz double citadeled and killed a Montana that was around 10 to 15km out (can't recall exactly, but I do know it wasn't really close). Seems odd that a ship with the kind of dispersion and shell penetration that Tirpitz has should so easily delete a tier 10 battleship with armor this thick.

Montana is very strong when angled. But there's no way to always guarantee you'll always be angled against all big gun threats, seen *and* unseen, and her turning speed is too sluggish to quickly angle when that threat is spotted. So I very much look forward to that citadel buff so that mistakes on my part make me only lose 15-20k health and not the annoyingly very common 40-50k I see now.

Edited by KaptainKaybe