Phoenix_jz

A Look at South Dakota's Battle Damage in World of Warships

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

44 posts in this topic

Never seen something like this presented before.  Well done. +1 from me.

Wow OP, well done!  Certainly not tl;dr material and I highly recommend that people read this, especially if you are a navy geek like me :).

It makes me want to read some of the books on that part of the Guadalcanal engagement.  I've read quite a bit from the DD perspective, but I know there are more comprehensive books that include more on the BBs and CA/CLs.

thanks!!  +1

b

Nice!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Given that BB X ( South Dakota) was technically different form all her sisters and was even scraped to prevent that said data from being leaked. we may never know the truth but, Rumor has it that she had better armor than her sisters did.:hmm:

Also+1 for your work!:coin:

Edited by BladedPheonix

Posted (edited) · Report post

Alright, THIS was a fun read. Many thanks OP! =D

Any chance on getting other ships done like this...? Just curious cause this was very interesting. :)

Have a special +1 on me! =3

d6Fkm3N.gif

Edited by Kitsunelegend

inb4 this thread becomes a lower the citadel of alabama saltstorm 

Yep that was an entertaining post to read, thank you for sharing.

Type 3 beehive round isn't the same as an HE round.

Nice post!  I'd love to see a similar post on how much "damage" Kirishima took in that battle as well.  There seem to be a few decent damage reports on her hits as well. 

Edited by RightYouAreKen

Iowa fired 46 HE shells at Katori before she sunk. Remember that.

Whats this have to do with South Dakota?

Anyway I would hardly say South Dakota survived due to good luck when bad luck left her in a paralyzed state to begin with.

46 shells for 7 hits = 15.2% hit chance. Not bad at all when 3% hit chance was the norm hit chance in that era.

Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to comment #11 by ckupf but something went wrong with the "quote" process along the way I guess.

Edited by dseehafer

Quality post, with an interesting format that I never would've thought of.

+1 :red_button:

Any chance on getting other ships done like this...? Just curious cause this was very interesting. :)

Great job!!! Make more of these :)

pointingup.gif

Wow OP, well done!  Certainly not tl;dr material and I highly recommend that people read this, especially if you are a navy geek like me :).

It makes me want to read some of the books on that part of the Guadalcanal engagement.  I've read quite a bit from the DD perspective, but I know there are more comprehensive books that include more on the BBs and CA/CLs.

thanks!!  +1

b

Thanks! I would definitely recommend Neptune's Inferno, by James D, Hornfischer. It's a great look at the overall naval actions around Guadalcanal, even if it does miss a few things.

Wow! Thanks for the positive reception!

I'll definitely look into making more of them (I was actually considering doing Kirishima next already, as she was central to this engagement). it's just a question of getting reliable information, with enough detail. 

It was pretty fun to write up, and it certainly put into perspective the power of naval guns, especially at such close ranges... although, this is nothing compared to what you'd see on Kirishima... I'm sure she'll be quite interesting to do!

If you want an eye opener, look at USS San Francisco, a New Orleans-class heavy cruiser, after the Battle of Guadalcanal, 13Nov42. Here's a teaser...22 fires.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/w/war-damage-reports/uss-sanfrancisco-ca38-war-damage-report-no26.html

Very well done. In forums loaded with CV hate, troll threads and complaining this is certainly a breath of fresh air!

I wonder how much of a beating the Bismarck took lol.

If you want an eye opener, look at USS San Francisco, a New Orleans-class heavy cruiser, after the Battle of Guadalcanal, 13Nov42. Here's a teaser...22 fires.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/w/war-damage-reports/uss-sanfrancisco-ca38-war-damage-report-no26.html

Ohhhh yeah, some of those USN cruisers were absolutely shredded in those battles. 

Very well done. In forums loaded with CV hate, troll threads and complaining this is certainly a breath of fresh air!

I wonder how much of a beating the Bismarck took lol.

That'd be an interesting one... soon many 33% pens, I bet!

Ohhhh yeah, some of those USN cruisers were absolutely shredded in those battles. 

That'd be an interesting one... soon many 33% pens, I bet!

Don't forget the torpedo he took! :P

Thanks! I would definitely recommend Neptune's Inferno, by James D, Hornfischer. It's a great look at the overall naval actions around Guadalcanal, even if it does miss a few things.

Just read that last week and enjoyed it... sure felt bad for Atlanta though...