Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OgreMkV

Gneisenau - 18pt Captain Build

12 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles

Advice requested. I have the Gneisenau with an 18 point Captain (just got the 18th point, but I'm willing to wait for the 19th if suggested). 

My current build is:
Priority Target
Expert Marksman

Adrenaline Rush

Basic Firing Training
Expert Firing Training
Secondary Manual Control

The question is, what is best for a 2 or 3 point skill? If it's a 2-point skill, what should I pick up for my last 1 point? 

I've been playing ranked and I hope to move past level 7 at some point. Doesn't look like I'll make it to rank 1 at this rate. I'm keeping about 1 star per day. sigh

I'm thinking about Basics of Survivability at 3 points or Jack of All Trades with Expert Loader... ??

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

I would go with Jack of all Trades/High Alert  +  Expert loader,  or  Superintendent, or Vigilance.   

If Vigilance still confers Torpedo damage reduction, that would be my top choice, but the description no longer mentions it, so I dont know if it does.

[APES]
Members
1,008 posts
6,589 battles

GpXt82E.jpg

I would essentially use the same build as Scharnhorst:

Endurance 1A - Priority Target

Endurance 1B - Preventive Maintenance

Attack 2A - Expert Marksman

Versatility 2A - Adrenaline Rush

Support 3B - Superintendent

Endurance 4A - Manual Fire Control for Secondary

Support 4A - Advanced Firing Training

While leave one point unused.

With a 19-point captain, you should consider giving up 1 1-point skill and opt for another 3-point skill. Gneisenau really just need EM and LS for 2-point skills. If you really have to get 3 2-point skills (not recommended), HA is better than JoAT because HA sometimes saves you from a few seconds' damage of fire, while JoAT can only save you from half of that damage. Faster reload for heals or catapult has negligible effect on the result of any matches.

For 3-point skills, SI > Vig = BFT. SI gives you one more heal, which means (1) more HP especially against fire damage, and (2) keeping your ship appearing high health longer, so enemies tend to prioritize your teammates instead of you.

Source: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/117799-poll-scharnhorst-players-how-have-you-finalized-your-captains-skills/

Edited by _Marines

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

Advice requested. I have the Gneisenau with an 18 point Captain (just got the 18th point, but I'm willing to wait for the 19th if suggested). 

My current build is:

Priority Target

Expert Marksman

Adrenaline Rush

Basic Firing Training

Expert Firing Training

Secondary Manual Control

The question is, what is best for a 2 or 3 point skill? If it's a 2-point skill, what should I pick up for my last 1 point? 

I've been playing ranked and I hope to move past level 7 at some point. Doesn't look like I'll make it to rank 1 at this rate. I'm keeping about 1 star per day. sigh

I'm thinking about Basics of Survivability at 3 points or Jack of All Trades with Expert Loader... ?

Priority target is pretty useless for a BB, you are in a BB people are going to see and shoot at you, why do you care how many? Replace it with preventative maintenance, because losing even one of your turrets takes away 33% of your offensive strength.

Basics of survivability is a waste of points, the only ships it has any kind of application is certain american and arguably russian DDs. For every single othet ship you are better off putting points elsewhere.

Manual secondaries are not all that effective on this ship, speaking from experience. Even with the skill, they are still pretty inaccurate and you dont have the armor to remain in brawl range for more than a short period of time. I would replace it with manual AA, it has a lot more utility.

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles

I'll have to disagree with you about the Manual secondaries. In ranked, almost 1/4 of my kills are with secondaries. But I think ranked is pretty different than regular battles. 

As far as priority target, I find it moderately useful. Especially early in the match. I know when their guns are pointed at me. There's a difference between dodging and dodging when it's useful. I'm not saying it's the greatest use of a point in the whole world, but I find it useful. 

I'll probably be moving this captain to the Bismark as soon as ranked is over. I've got the experience and the credits. Just like the Gneiss for ranked. 

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

Basics of survivability is a waste of points, the only ships it has any kind of application is certain american and arguably russian DDs. For every single othet ship you are better off putting points elsewhere.

I think you are confusing Survival Expert with Basics of survivability.  Why would you put fire/flood extinguishing on a DD?

[WOLF7]
Members
12,601 posts

Priority target is a great skill, but I really can't see it's use on a BB. Unless you're a rare stealth BB, you are always going to be a target out in the open.

[CDOH]
Beta Testers
119 posts
4,235 battles

I'd take BoS over BFT, the fire control is extremely helpful in shrugging off fires, to the point where even 2 fires isn't enough for you to trigger your repair party because you're down to 33 seconds of burn (with flag).

I personally pulled manual secondary's off for concealment expert, but that was for randoms not ranked play, still trying to decide which is better.

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles

I run a full secondary build in my Gneisenau. Without it I find I have a hard time dealing with enemy BBs. Your 6 15" have a hard time hitting BBs, let alone small DDs.

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
[GGWP]
Members
1,628 posts
10,852 battles

The German BB secondary build is amazing, if you play up close. If you like to stay in the back go with a surviveability build. Adrenaline rush doesnt affect secondaries now, but I have heard it is supposed to in the future. I also find vigilance very useful, but I like to push.

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,204 battles

What's the base secondary range on this? 

if you can't buff it to 10, I wouldn't go the secondary route even though that's what you do with german BB's typically. 

Maybe,

T1: expert loader (PM isn't bad either, somewhat of a toss up i think, or if it has a catapult as I don't recall off the top of my head, then the catapult one) -- 1 pt

T2 expert marksman -- 2 pts

T3: Survivability & Superintendent -- 6 pts

T4- concealment, fire prevention -- 8 points

17 points. 

Last 2 maybe adrenaline rush or the other survivability skill. I look at BB's like the warrior / tanking class and try to spec them to play to that role because I tend to push in them. 

Edited by scruffycavetroll

Members
2,255 posts

This is what I run on my Sharnhorst/Tirpitz. If I wasn't content with not training my 19 skill point cap to Gneisenau... I would use the same spec on there too.

shot-17.03.16_12.20.23-0045_zpsfhtjoor6.

Sign in to follow this