You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tcbaker777

Tillman battleships, the true "super dreadnoughts"

22 comments in this topic

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,296 posts
12,201 battles

the Tillmans were drawn up and planned for 1916-1917, as "super dreadnoughts" 

Tillman I

Year of design: Dec.13, 1916

Displacement: 70,000 short tons

Length: 975 ft

Beam: 108 ft

Draft: 32 ft 9in

Speed: 26.5 knots

Armament: 12 16 inch 50 cal. guns in 4 triple turrets

Armor: 9-18 inches

Tillman II

Image result for tillman battleship

Displacement: 70,000 short tons

Speed: 26.5 knots

Armament: 24 16 inch 50 cal. guns in 4 six gun turrets

Armor: 7-13 inches

Tillman III

Displacement: 63,500 short tons

Speed: 30 knots

Armament: 12 16 inch 50 cal. guns in 4 triple turrets

Armor: 7-13 inches

Tillman IV

Year of design: Dec.29, 1916

Displacement: 80,000 short tons

Speed: 25.2 knots

Armament: 24 16 inch 50 cal. guns in 4 six gun turrets

Armor: 8-19 inches

Tillman IV-1

Year of design: Jan.30, 1917

Armament: 13 18 inch 50 cal. guns in 5 dual turrets and 1 triple turret

Armor: 8-16 inches

Tillman IV-2 ( my personal favorite of them all)

Image result for tillman battleship IV-2

Year of design: Jan.30, 1917

Armament: 15 18 inch 50 cal. guns in 5 triple turrets

Armor: 8-16 inches

i know it'll never happen, but just imagine these ships in the game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_battleship  < link for those interested

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battlestation...."  

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,296 posts
12,201 battles

"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battlestation...."  

the motto, now imagine the dispersion on the 2 with six gun turrets

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

the motto, now imagine the dispersion on the 2 with six gun turrets

What dispersion?  :trollface:

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,296 posts
12,201 battles

What dispersion?  :trollface:

true, with 24 shells going out at once, its bond to hit something on its target

Members
823 posts
561 battles

I wouldn't say they were 'Planned', more like 'thought about' in the same way H-41-H-44 weren't actually intended to be built. They were drawn up to the request of a senator (Mr. Tillman) from South Carolina who was upset about how the US's battleships weren't the absolute largest that could fit in the Panama Canal, thus the 'Maximum Battleship' moniker. 

They never intended to build them.

Edited by Zehroflcopter

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,296 posts
12,201 battles

I wouldn't say they were 'Planned', more like 'thought about' in the same way H-41-H-44 weren't actually intended to be built. They were drawn up to the request of a senator from South Carolina who was upset about how the US's battleships weren't the absolute largest that could fit in the Panama Canal, thus the 'Maximum Battleship' moniker. 

yeah, but if i had the money, i would PAY Wargaming, to get them in the game and i would pay them to get them in my port as well, but,

1. im broke af

2. if these ships were brought in, they'd be EXTREMELY OP, which is why they will most likely never see the light of day in WOWS

Edited by tcbaker777

Members
823 posts
561 battles

yeah, but if i had the money, i would PAY Wargaming, to get them in the game and i would pay them to get them in my port as well, but,

1. im broke af

2. if these ships were brought in, they'd be EXTREMELY OP, which is why they will most likely never see the light of day in WOWS

I think they might have a spot as a Tier X, if Wargaming ever gets around to it, in the same way that the No. 13 battleships will probably be Japan's second Tier X. 

The stats will have to be changed around, of course, but one major problem with them is their speed. 25 knots at Tier X with an 80,000 ton ship just won't cut it.

Edited by Zehroflcopter

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,296 posts
12,201 battles

but one major problem with them is their speed. 25 knots at Tier X with an 80,000 ton ship just won't cut it.

inject the propulsion with the ship equivalent of steroids:D  

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Currently working on a post for a second USN BB line featuring either Tillman I or III at T10. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,296 posts
12,201 battles

Currently working on a post for a second USN BB line featuring either Tillman I or III at T10. 

why not Tillman IV-2 with 15 18 inchers of freedom?

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,862 posts
16,485 battles

Never say never, WG said they'd be adding a second USN BB line in the near future!:look:

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

i know it'll never happen, but just imagine these ships in the game

I wouldn't be so sure, given the number of imaginary Russian ships already in the game, and those that are coming (Russo BB line, etc).

[STAR]
Members
554 posts
20,987 battles

They MIGHT come to the game later after the US BBs sub-branch comes. Why? you might ask.

This might seen a bit off-topic, but follow my line of reasoning

I have a theory that most WG developers have a really bad obsessive-compulsive disorder and they want all lines to reach tier X no matter what. And screw balancing!

That would explain why the IJN DDs is being treated poorly by them, due to the sub-branch reaching only tier 8 now (actually the only one that doesn't reach tier 10 at the moment). They most likely will be balanced properly or come back to at least to the shadow of glory they once were when the sub-branch reaches tier 10.

The tier 10 URSS DD in the main line is a light cruiser, it doesn't matter, convincing me otherwise is a waste of time, not even the developers (because a pre-WWII design with that armor, fire power and etc could beat some other CLs of that time). But most of the line is balanced because... yes! both DD branches end in tier 10!

Tier 9 and 10 cruisers are totally fictional, less their turrents. The developers overfeed Nürnberg for tier 9 and Hipper for tier 10.

There are also other examples that sustain my crazy theory :trollface:. But now straight to the point:

When the USS BB sub-branch comes they will put tiers 9 and 10 so their obsession don't tickle them. That's where the Tillman BBs will most likely come.

Edited by Cpt_JM_Nascimento

Members
823 posts
561 battles

They MIGHT come to the game later after the US BBs sub-branch comes. Why? you might ask.

I have a theory that most WG developers have a really bad obsessive-compulsive disorder and they want all lines to reach tier X no matter what. And screw balancing!

That would explain why the IJN DDs is being treated poorly by them, due to the sub-branch reaching only tier 8 now (actually the only one that doesn't reach tier 10 at the moment). They most likely will be balanced properly or come back to at least to the shadow of glory they once were when the sub-branch reaches tier 10.

The tier 10 URSS DD in the main line is a light cruiser, it doesn't matter, convincing me otherwise is a waste of time, not even the developers (because a pre-WWII design with that armor, fire power and etc could beat some other CLs of that time). But most of the line is balanced because... yes! both DD branches end in tier 10!

Tier 9 and 10 cruisers are totally fictional, less their turrents. The developers overfeed Nürnberg for tier 9 and Hipper for tier 10.

There are also other examples that sustain my crazy theory :trollface:. But now straight to the point:

When the USS BB sub-branch comes they will put tiers 9 and 10 so their obsession don't tickle them. That's where the Tillman BBs will most likely come.

This is pretty much true for all WG games. They feel that all lines must reach Tier X, even though that's a limiting philosophy which prevents them from developing some nations which would be quite interesting in the game, such as Austria-Hungary or Turkey. Perhaps they will change their minds in the future, when they run out of ships from certain countries (as they pretty much have in WoT for the major nations). But, for now, we must have complete lines no matter what.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,296 posts
12,201 battles

well, time to start praying to RNGsus that the new t10 USN BB is Tillman IV-2, 15 18 inchers of freedom dispensing 

Members
3,067 posts
2,546 battles

I wouldn't say they were 'Planned', more like 'thought about' in the same way H-41-H-44 weren't actually intended to be built. They were drawn up to the request of a senator (Mr. Tillman) from South Carolina who was upset about how the US's battleships weren't the absolute largest that could fit in the Panama Canal, thus the 'Maximum Battleship' moniker. 

​Incorrect. Mr. Tillman was upset how the Navy keep requesting funds for *bigger* ships. He had enough and told them to present designs of the BIGGEST ships *possible*. After that, he stopped grumbling about the USN requesting bigger ships when they were doing so within reason.

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
962 posts
3,473 battles

So, anyone else really wanting the Tillman IV as either a premium or a tech tree ship? Just imagine the carnage that 24 2240 pound shells would do.(The reason I say this is because, like the Colorados, the Tillmans wouldn't be able to use the 2700 pound SHS the 3rd gen BBs could due to the older projectile lifts.)

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,296 posts
12,201 battles

So, anyone else really wanting the Tillman IV as either a premium or a tech tree ship? Just imagine the carnage that 24 2240 pound shells would do.(The reason I say this is because, like the Colorados, the Tillmans wouldn't be able to use the 2700 pound SHS the 3rd gen BBs could due to the older projectile lifts.)

from your profile pic, i can tell you're probably one of these people :D but 24 may be too many, i mean 15 guns is in the game already with Mogami, but those are just 155mm,