You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kuckoo

Anyone Here Rank Out in Something That's NOT a Premium?

24 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

Was just going through some of the Rank 1 entries at shipcomrade.  Randomly selected about 20 or so, and noticed they all had something in common.  Each of the entries I looked at had their most success and ranked out in premiums, either Belfasts or Scharnhorsts, with the occasional Sims.  The only other non-premium ships I saw - regardless of their specific results - were Nagatos and Shiratsuyus, and they tended to be at the bottom of the lists of ships shown per player.

Certainly like many other players dealing with similar difficulties in ranked, I'm currently going through an epic strain of just trying to claw my way into Rank 2.  More than 200 battles now, with half of them spent bouncing back and forth between ranks 3 and 5, after starting the season at rank 17.  Had 4 stars at Rank 3 a few times, only to get busted back down to the low 4's / high 5's again each time.  The only ships I have are the Mahan, Pensacola, Minsk, Myoko (tech tree and ARP), and the Kiev while it was a Tier VII.  The Mahan is the only ship I would even think to bring into the teams, as anything else seems like a handicap.  I had the most success with the Kiev, my usual "go to" boat, but that went away with the new patch.

Anyone here rank out in something other than a Belfast, Scharnhorst, or Sims, even with one of the researchable ships?  If so, how?

I'm at my wits end.  I've hit a wall and can't seem to plow through it.  With time running out I'm getting a bit anxious.

...and before anyone makes the suggestion, no:  I'm not buying a premium just to play ranked this season.

Thanks.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

This is why lots of people think it was a bad idea to do T7 ranked. 

[ARMDG]
Privateers
798 posts

Lord_Zath (one of the Wiki guys) made a post many moons ago showing how he ranked out in the good ol' Kiev; which (goes without saying) is not a Premium ship. 

Edited by GrafZeppelinKai

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, WoWS Community Contributors
5,943 posts
22,080 battles
Edited by Lord_Zath

[SIM]
Members
1,659 posts

Well i've been using the Colorado, Shchors, and Myoko for my rank run, and the Sims on very rare occasions.

Colorado to tank and hold or push the enemy from a cap. Shchors to challenge any DD or CA that threatens the team or cap.

Myoko to harass the BBs and sink any DDs from a distance. Play Myoko as a pure glass cruiser and only engage a BB as a last resort.

Beta Testers
58 posts
7,617 battles

I ranked out in the Shiratsuyu, (4 sims games lul carriers) I have the 5th or so best win rate as of this post.  Of which the only people with higher win rates were CVs and a Sims (rhino_mk_ii)

While the Premiums do seem to have a slight stat advantage.  The non premiums could do just as well or better if played well.

Edited by Merrillz

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

The thing is the rank Vll caught many like me off guard, had a Myoko and used it for 20 or so games and realized it would be a hard slog in this ship to get to 10,my goal for the rewards so I bought a Belfast ,fun ship glad I bought it ...getting to rank 1 not really that interested to put in the effort

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,438 posts
20,580 battles

Shiratsuyu and Nagato, plus the couple of times I tried Scharnhorst and Blyskawica in the beginning.

[WHS]
[WHS]
Members
303 posts
9,754 battles

All the way up to rank 5 in the ARP Haguro, then got annoyed at all the smoke and radar and belfast [edited]and switched to Shiratsuyu until I ranked out. No smoke was left untorped

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,723 posts
12,906 battles

Not true. It's all about getting lucky with your wins and losses. Look through those who ranked out and you will see people with similar winrate and other stats who take vastly different numbers of games to rank out.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

Lord_Zath (one of the Wiki guys) made a post many moons ago showing how he ranked out in the good ol' Kiev; which (goes without saying) is not a Premium ship. 

I was well on my way to ranking out in the Kiev.  Then Patch 6.2 happened.  No more Kiev in ranked.  Been struggling ever since.

Used the Mahan much of time but turned to the Kiev and favored it before the patch.  Went back to the Mahan afterwards.  Minsk, while a good boat, just isn't as strong in Ranked as the Kiev.  The little bit of extra speed and HP helps, but the guns don't seem to hit as hard as the Kiev's, and that traverse, even with EM...

Edited by Kuckoo

[O_O]
Members
6,752 posts
16,142 battles

Far from Rank 1, but Shiratsuyu and Nagato are solid performers.  As far as premiums go, I was a bit disappointed in my performance in Scharnhorst.  I really thought I would eat Belfasts with her (and I did to a degree, but I had better W/R in Shiratsuyu and Nagato.

[KNCOL]
Members
553 posts
8,504 battles

Ranked out in 131 battles, with a large majority of my progress made in Fiji. Only premium I used was Bly, and that was maybe 3 battles, all of which I lost.

[STAR]
Members
551 posts
20,974 battles

I played several ships, but only one was responsible to make me reach rank 1. Any of them were premiums. Even if someone gave me a free Belfast i wouldn't use her in ranked because i would reinforce the P2W drama that is starting to grow in the community in the last months. Also i would most likely reach rank 1 much more due to the ships tools rather than my own skills.

Some examples:

Akatsuki: I was doing fine with her. But the lack of a commander with more points in the first league was brutal.

Fiji: Most likely the MM would give the enemy a Belfast and none to your team... i don't need to tell what happened in those matches. Do i?

Myoko: she's a really solid cruiser for lone wolves, but she's unable to do team play properly due to lack of radar, smoke and a good hidro. Also most cruisers being used in ranked have better concealment than you.

AND

Nagato: This girl fitted the ranked meta in this season perfectly! Due to the lack of good HE spammers in the first league like Myoko and Shchors i rarely had more than 1 fire focus on board. Also she's rarely focused due to the priority being DDs and RNCLs in ranked(the only ocasions are if the ship is low in HP, full broadside to the enemy, a flanking pedo DD that wants to put torps in your hull or the enemy doesn't like you for some reason. In this last one it's actually good since they aren't focusing a ship that directly influence in cap zones). In other words it's actually easier to survive in ranked with a Battleship than random play, because there players see your large HP pool and see you as a big [edited]piñata to farm damage so they can have "kewl" stats. That strategy somehow works in random mainly because the team play usually is near to 0.

But Nagato's main trait is her 410mm guns that DELETES EVERYTING IN TIER 7 WITH LETHAL PRECISION!!! less the german BBs, yes less Gneisenau and Scharnhorst didn't take devastating strikes from me. A single pen of 410mm guns in angled DDs is really brutal and that's how i got devastating strikes in them as well.

The only downside was the average speed, but she's nowhere as slow as Colorado.

Due to the lack of CVs in ranked i recommend using the scout plane to fire at enemies inside smoke, so u can target undetected ships inside smoke more accuratelly.

Edit: I missed writing in the forums so much that i "overwrote" sry :facepalm:

Edited by Cpt_JM_Nascimento

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,654 posts
13,009 battles

Haven't ranked out, but I rode (mostly) Fiji to 10 and Nagato has been a treat for 10-6. You can't push as well as Scharnhorst, and Gneisenau is your hard counter in push-counterpush situations, but Nagato lets you control your own fate in being able to put up enough early damage (to anything) to help avoid the need for solo pushing later.

[KNCOL]
Members
553 posts
8,504 battles

Oopsies, forgot advice.

If you really want to win, then you need to give yourself every single advantage over the enemy. I take different positions, focus different ships, and make different plans based on the compositions of my team and the enemies and the map I was given. Some maps are easy to lightly carry on, such as North. On this map, I REALLY like to contest the cap my team isnt going to. If you arent confident in yourself to do this, then dont. If you are, you have to potential to heavily damage enemy ships and put your team at a point advantage. In some circumstances, you can get away with a kill and/or a cap, so long as you have good positioning.

But, the best, most influential advantage you can get to put yourself above the enemy is your team. When you make a plan, you make sure that everyone agrees to it and everyone has a say in it. (No arguments please!). Tell your team exactly where you will position yourself and your initial course of action. Support them in their action, and dont leave them to fend for themselves. In Fiji, if one of my DDs are going to a cap alone, I go with them. This will minimize damage, lead to a quicker sinking, and a secured cap at best. In there are radar cruisers, tell your DDs to not rush for a cap and reverse into a cap. Ask for smoke, tell your team when your smoke/hydro is going, just constant, quick communication. Dont be afraid to tell others what to do, so long are you nice about it. Make note of exceptional players, ones that play and communicate well, and work with them the next time.

Good luck in your future battles, I hope I was able to be of help!

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

On reddit, someone ranked out in Pensacola:

Thanks for posting this.

Out of desperation I started using the Pensacola again today.  While the Mahan was great for the lower and middle ranks, I just can't make it work anymore in the Premier League. 

Today in the Pensacola, five wins out of six matches - the first consecutive win streak of any significance for nearly a week of Ranked battles.  Discovering that the Pensacola can be quite a threat to Fijis and Belfasts, and quite good at baiting BB fire as long as I'm not being suicidal or stupid about it.  First time I felt that I'm actually contributing to the match in some days.  We'll see how this goes...

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Thanks for posting this.

Out of desperation I started using the Pensacola again today.  While the Mahan was great for the lower and middle ranks, I just can't make it work anymore in the Premier League. 

Today in the Pensacola, five wins out of six matches - the first consecutive win streak of any significance for nearly a week of Ranked battles.  Discovering that the Pensacola can be quite a threat to Fijis and Belfasts, and quite good at baiting BB fire as long as I'm not being suicidal or stupid about it.  First time I felt that I'm actually contributing to the match in some days.  We'll see how this goes...

If Pensacola works, then wouldn't Indianapolis be theoretically more viable?  Same gun characteristics, but adds radar.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,654 posts
13,009 battles

If Pensacola works, then wouldn't Indianapolis be theoretically more viable?  Same gun characteristics, but adds radar.

They touch on that in the reddit thread.

My take on what they said is thus: the 'Cola is more agile and stealthy, and Indy in particular isn't stealthy enough to leverage 8.5km radar and remain involved beyond being a radar station, because of the way the USN CAs need to be played to put up damage without making bad hitpoint trades.

5.6s rudder + 10.9km concealment + 20RPM fore > 8.5km radar + 7.3s rudder + 11.8km concealment + 25RPM fore.

Members
570 posts
1,465 battles

50 battles in with my Hiryuu at rank 10 and 2 stars currently.

I'm leaving my ARP myokos as a last resort as i don't really do well in other ship types in addition to them being my only tier Vlls aside from my CV.