You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sloth_Like_Reflexes

Any Hams/Amateur Radio Operators?

19 comments in this topic

[BLEP]
Beta Testers
130 posts

Since the article today was about Morse code.  I just wondered if there are any Ham Radio / Amateur Radio operators among us, or am I the only one? lol.

• Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I'm not  a Ham, but I have a station license through CAP. I don't really do anything with Morse, but I operate on HF and VHF frequently.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I have advanced class  HAM license .    never did get extra class when it was 20 wpm  requirement.   I still remember that test.  I was doing great until they sent over  " My Name is  Eileen".       Eileen at 20wpm just totally threw me during the copy.    (for those who are non HAM,     .  .. ._.. . . _.   )  which is very short and quick.      so, I never did get my extra  :D now, you don't need 20wpm but since they got rid of advanced class, I kinda like having it to be unique.

[PIZZA]
Members
1,090 posts
13,421 battles

De OH1KTA

QTH KIIKKA FINLAND

Has not paid licenses a long long time so someone else could have this register. 

Edited by Finnkax

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I think you still have your handle since  QTH on the lookup was KiKKA finland.      lot of youngster here who doesn't know amateur radio.  I still maintain mine but havn't used it in years.  :D

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

I have a HAM license but it's been so long I don't remember any of how to use it.

[TWE]
Members
12 posts
5,829 battles

Commercial license radio operator, but more in line with your Morse code I'm also a merchant seaman. I was required to learn Morse code for my license, but it was primarily visual (flashing light). After the testing I only recall signals that are in some regular-ish use. Other than those it's not particularly practical, and if it ever gets practical for me professionally the world has gone to crap.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

well,  they made it 5wpm  requirement now for extra, but most fogies in extra wont' talk to ya unless you can copy 20wpm.       20wpm is quite fast in code  (unlike what they say in that front page article)    I guess all you need to know is SOS   lol for merchant seaman now.       so, did you graduate kingspoint?  :)

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

HS0ZGP / W3KIT 

20 wpm was kind of rough for me, for US ticket that is.  Had to take it in English and English was not my first language.. Not even a 2nd :D

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,138 battles

I used to have a Technician Class license, but I think it expired about 4 years ago or so.  I only used it briefly while doing Emergency Management service in my community.  I wish I had kept it up, but it never really kept my interest like I had thought it might.  

b

Members
50 posts
1,442 battles

I have advanced class  HAM license .    never did get extra class when it was 20 wpm  requirement.   I still remember that test.  I was doing great until they sent over  " My Name is  Eileen".       Eileen at 20wpm just totally threw me during the copy.    (for those who are non HAM,     .  .. ._.. . . _.   )  which is very short and quick.      so, I never did get my extra  :D now, you don't need 20wpm but since they got rid of advanced class, I kinda like having it to be unique.

Took me 2 tried for 13 wpm.  I didn't know how to spell Raleigh,  North Carolina LOL. 

For 20 wpm I got it the first tried,  solid copied.  So didn't have to answer the question :P

[TWE]
Members
12 posts
5,829 battles

well,  they made it 5wpm  requirement now for extra, but most fogies in extra wont' talk to ya unless you can copy 20wpm.       20wpm is quite fast in code  (unlike what they say in that front page article)    I guess all you need to know is SOS   lol for merchant seaman now.       so, did you graduate kingspoint?  :)

Texas, though I think they have since removed the flashing lights requirement? I suppose I could check out the NMC website if I really wanted to know.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

Took me 2 tried for 13 wpm.  I didn't know how to spell Raleigh,  North Carolina LOL. 

For 20 wpm I got it the first tried,  solid copied.  So didn't have to answer the question :P

lol.    I did 13 word after studying it for a week.  and it was multiple choice.  20 word was   fill in the blank and my mind went blank at  Eileen.   :D   so  lost  whole sentence afterward.  

the code on that  list start    2ndpartofcodeisXXXXX   :D

only question is why 

Edited by centarina

Members
119 posts
2,622 battles

I read all three of the ARRL books and planned to get my Extra license, but then graduate school happened and I haven't made time to schedule a test. It hasn't been a total waste though, I use a good bit of the physics in my audiology program. I have a magnum 257HP that I play around with on the CB channels. I'll occasionally shoot skip on 10m if there seems to be some good action going on, but I guess that kind of makes me a pirate since I have no license. I'll take those tests one day...

Lol, I have a marine radio too that I take fishing, but the only people talking around here on it are the coast guard. 

Members
291 posts
3,947 battles

The message is: #DHARTOF CODEIS 35#N

Edit:The message is: 2ND PART OF CODE IS 35T1N

Edited by Destroyer8172