You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Alabama Dual Vision - LittleWhiteMouse (192K Damage) and Lert

49 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,673 posts
6,448 battles

Another look at the Bama with commentary.  LWM provided me with her and Lert's recent round in which she did 192K damage and had a clutch victory.  Lert threw up 100K, so not a bad round for him either.  Both highlighted the pros and cons of this ship.

Edited by NoZoupForYou
  • Cool 11

[-BMV-]
Members
1,228 posts
6,308 battles

Watched this just now on the tube of you.

I have to say Cit be damned watching that thing turn made me want it. I like a BB that can actually turn so I'll take the High cit to get it. Having said that I won't be buying, T8 premiums are just to expensive for my blood.

Watching Mouse try and direct her team gave me a chuckle "you guys are killing me". You could feel the face palm through the net.

• Cool 2

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,201 battles

if it's agile enough to dodge torps...did it need the 50% reduction? seems counter intuitive. 

I'm leaning towards "No", but my tax return says "yes"

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,462 posts
2,248 battles

This was awesome, nice commentary Zoup and very WP LWM. I agree with you, it would be so nice if they gave Bama radar... Maybe a slightly nerfed version if it would be too OP...

[ONE38]
Members
3,781 posts
13,341 battles

I agree with Zoupy that I'm a little disappointed that the premium Alabama isn't offering something just a little bit more. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,686 posts
19,814 battles

That battle cemented my love of Alabama. Although I made several small and one big mistake, I still ended with 106k dmg and had a good match. It's a flawed ship, but I consider her very good nonetheless.

• Cool 1

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,201 battles

That battle cemented my love of Alabama. Although I made several small and one big mistake, I still ended with 106k dmg and had a good match. It's a flawed ship, but I consider her very good nonetheless.

What do you think is very good about it? outside of it being accessible of course. 
Edited by scruffycavetroll

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,686 posts
19,814 battles

What do you think is very good about it?

The combination of turning, firepower, AA and survivability-when-angled.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

To all newbs looking for their first premium and going crazy at this vid's performance...  Be careful.

Some players are very, VERY good players.  They can play a turd and produce games upwards of 150k damage with it (in my case it's more like 90- 110k barring very bad/good games).

Keep in mind the ship is very difficult to play and the slightest mistake will be fatal.

Now that's said, if you really want it go ahead.  It's going to teach you good habits in playing BBs, at least USN BB tier8+.

Good game and good review (especially Zoup saying this isn't a competition ship).

Edited by Francois424

[WG-CC]
1,673 posts
6,448 battles

To all newbs looking for their first premium and going crazy at this vid's performance...  Be careful.

Some players are very, VERY good players.  They can play a turd and produce games upwards of 150k damage with it (in my case it's more like 100k, maybe 110k).

Keep in mind the ship is very difficult to play and the slightest mistake will be fatal.

Now that's said, if you really want it go ahead.  It's going to teach you good habits in playing BBs, at least USN BB tier8+.

Good game.

To be fair...  its is just as damaging in this ship to show your broadside as it would be in an Amagi, Nagato, Iowa or similiar...  I think the misconception out there is that the ship is a glass cannon, which it is definitely not.  It can deal with damage a little better than some are making out, but it does require a little tender love.

[WG-CC]
12,277 posts
10,382 battles

I can provide some introspective into some of my thought processes during this match.

At

-  My initial goal was to cover C and to use the big island in the middle of C-cap to control vision and protect my citadel.  With our destroyers blowing smoke across the mid-line of C, I can poke out and start working on punishing the battleships showing their broadsides.  I'm disappointed that I hit the Gneisenau as it crossed in front of the Missouri.  Don't get me wrong -- I'll take the 17k damage, but I was really hoping to delete that American BB for being caught out like that.  All of my earlier shots had been at soft, squishy, elusive things like destroyers.

You'll see me use my float plane oddly.  I use this to help judge angle on ships before firing, rather than to extend range.

Lert definitely had the stronger position at the start and he used it to great effect to rack up some impressive early damage.  Once the enemies were locked in north of C, crossing the gap between the two islands became too risky, IMO.  There was too much chance I would get spotted and caught with my sides exposed.

At

when the destroyers lay the next round of smoke, I see my chance to move up and join Lert directly on the firing line.  I creep out from behind the island and look to start bow tanking.  I'm feeling very confident that our team is going to roll up this match and win at this stage, so I'm looking to deliver the hammer blow that will decide the match with a kill or two.  I'm keenly aware of the DD behind us (you'll see me glance back to confirm the smoke screen) which is also predicating the push.

By

, I'm re-evaluating my team's situation.  Lert has done some awesome damages but he got caught out and sunk (I'm totally jelly of his 100k damage and lamenting my own 60k total).  When the camera comes back to me, you'll see me in full reverse.  I had hoped Lert and I could both hold the narrows between the two islands at C.  The rocks would protect us from flanking fire while still allowing us to fire with six of our nine rifles and presenting very little for the enemies to shoot at.  In addition, it would also keep us safe from Hail Mary torpedo drops.  This is the game's tipping point.  We've lost B to a spectacular play by one of the enemy Fiji-class who double-taps to clean out the cap circle.  We may have the points lead but our team's heavy hitters are badly out of position with our Iowa and Colorado on the 10-line for some reason.  You can see the first hints of Mouse exasperation at seeing a win going down the drain...

At

, the enemy Yugumo is spotted.  This is the first ship lit from those that helped secure the B-cap and they're coming to roll up our flank (one more reason to keep the island in the middle of C at my side).  This goes from bad to worse when their Fiji guns down our Udaloi who was securing my left flank.  This is why I switch over to HE, anticipating that the Yugumo coming around the island to derp me in the face with fish.  Thankfully our Fiji is a rockstar and pulverizes the little pest.  Unfortunately, this leaves me with HE loading up in the barrels as the Fiji comes around the corner.  So an easy kill opportunity is wasted.  I had been backing up to avoid the Yugumo and now I am throwing the ship forward to get away from the Fiji.  I anticipate she's going to smoke up and I do not want to eat fish.

By coming forward, I can engage the sides of the enemy North Carolina-class battleships.  They're all turning bow in against our Iowa and Colorado and providing me with some pretty easy shots into their sides.  This is the ideal situation for any American fast-Battleship (North Carolina, Alabama, Iowa, Montana).  Get the sides of engaged enemy ships whenever you can and punish them.  Skills like Priority Target let you know when the enemies aren't paying attention to you and you can really go ham to score some nice damage this way.  Your guns are phenomenal at this kind of work. 

The other reason I'm focusing on these ships is to try and stop my team mates from tunnel visioning.  Sometimes, the only way you can make them stop is to kill what they're focused upon.  You need to do this as quickly as possible or you're just removing your own ship from the objectives too.  At this stage, I'm fairly certain that unless our team gets wise quickly, we're going to lose. 

When the North Carolina goes down at

(belatedly recognizing me as the primary threat), I'm praying that we can scrape out a win.  The Reds have all but won at this stage.  We need our Sims to secure B while I take C and maybe we can beat them on points.  Any contest at these caps and the game is up.  So I can't really blame the Fiji for trying to put a stop to it.  You'll see the Alabama's excellent agility at work against the Fiji, throwing off their aim with the torpedoes.  I put up my aircraft not to spot the fish, but to try and spot the second Fiji behind the island and to pre-emptively give me an upward angle if they try and smoke and shoot at me from within it (Flamu did

demonstrating how to aim at ships hiding in smoke using a spotter aircraft -- I've been doing it for a while but it never occurred to me to teach others how to do it.  I do recommend it). 

When my spotter aircraft spots the second Fiji, I know we have a chance.  I decelerate to dodge torpedoes and prep to chase them down.  You can see my frustration with the missed shots against the first Fiji.  My team is horribly out of position to provide any help.  Had our Sims rushed B, we might have been able to scrape a win with just killing one Fiji.  I'm not liking the odds of killing two.  Thankfully, their Fiji was greedy and was farming damage instead of doing their utmost to secure the win.  I caught them on the edge of their smoke and RNGesus said "yes" to my citadel to end the match.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 10

Members
1,104 posts
12,061 battles

The combination of turning, firepower, AA and survivability-when-angled.

​Hell yeah man, I saw you take that torpedo for 6k damage and was like, "Wooooow, that is impressive! LOL!"  Maybe, JUST MAYBE, I might by that ship.  More looking forward to the clones and Albany if they show up though.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,686 posts
19,814 battles

To be fair...  its is just as damaging in this ship to show your broadside as it would be in an Amagi, Nagato, Iowa or similiar... 

Mmm ... Not quite. Alabama punishes mistakes a bit harder than that. Especially compared to Iowa and Missouri after the upcoming citadel buff.

I think the misconception out there is that the ship is a glass cannon, which it is definitely not.  It can deal with damage a little better than some are making out, but it does require a little tender love.

This I'll agree with. Instead of glass cannon I'll call her a porcelain cannon. She's more survivable than glass, but still needs silk gloves to make shine. When you're under fire from Battleship AP in an Alabama it's a constant ballet, skirting that angle where autobounces are more likely than penetrations. I misjudged that by a few degrees versus that Missouri and got punished hard. Note however that I punished him hard at the same time, and I still survived his salvo. It was all the other ships present that finished me off. Had they not been there, had this been between me and the Mo, I would've had the chance to slink back, lick my wounds and recover.

I still made a mistake and died for it, a mistake that I would've survived had I been driving a Bismarck. But then I wouldn't have had the damage output then that I had in Alabama in that match. If I'd only turned 5 degrees less. If I'd only stopped and backed up a bit earlier. Could've, should've, would've ... Didn't.

I'll still defend Alabama as a good ship, because even after making that mistake that cost me a nearly full health boat, I did walk away with 106k dmg, which I still consider a good match. Mouse's monster match simply proves that if you're not an idiot like me, Alabama will perform for you.

Abamalama is for when I'm awake, my brain is firing on all cylinders and I'm in my groove. Bismarck is for when I can't brain and potato across the sea. Both have their place in my port.

[PSA]
Members
5,111 posts
3,732 battles

Mmm ... Not quite. Alabama punishes mistakes a bit harder than that. Especially compared to Iowa and Missouri after the upcoming citadel buff.

Saying this ship punishes mistake *a bit* harder is like saying Dresden got *a bit* bombed.

You're a good player, mind you. Certainly better than me. But had you been sailing a North Carolina, you would have taken half or less damage in those five seconds and would have kept on fighting and racking up your own damage output. Not to mention healing back some of that damage, which is something you wouldn't have been able to do with citadel damage had you managed to survive to run away and get back into the fight a few minutes later.

Still, over 100k in that short amount of time is impressive. Kudos to you and Mouse for that match.

[-BMV-]
Members
1,228 posts
6,308 battles

very informative wall of text

Thanks for the play by play. The most difficult part of the game is not the mechanics or stats of the ship but decision making your play by play helps gives some good insight into the decisions making involved.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,686 posts
19,814 battles

But had you been sailing a North Carolina, you would have taken half or less damage in those five seconds

Had I been driving a North Carolina, I would've taken a crapton of damage from several torpedo spreads that I managed to mostly dodge because my Alabama's agility and shorter length.

I mean, if you're going to argue that in one situation NC would've been better, you have to take the entire battle into account.

• Cool 1

[YIKES]
Members
3,880 posts
23,595 battles

Finally an unbiased and honest commentary about the Alabama. I didn't feel like you are trying to sell me this ship.

[WG-CC]
1,673 posts
6,448 battles

Finally an unbiased and honest commentary about the Alabama. I didn't feel like you are trying to sell me this ship.

b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9

[WG-CC]
12,277 posts
10,382 battles

At the ranges at which Lert and I were fighting, had Lert been in the North Carolina, he would have been dead sooner.  Those torpedoes would have done significantly more damage and he would have been just as dead by that broadside hit from the Missouri.  Close range citadel hits on the North Carolina (or any USN Battleship) are painfully commonplace.  It's only at medium range (between 10 and 16km) that North Carolina's citadel placement becomes a reliable advantage.  At point blank range (within 7km) like Lert was, any waterline shots are going to equally citadel a North Carolina or Alabama.

[PSA]
Members
5,111 posts
3,732 battles

Had I been driving a North Carolina, I would've taken a crapton of damage from several torpedo spreads that I managed to mostly dodge because my Alabama's agility and shorter length.

I mean, if you're going to argue that in one situation NC would've been better, you have to take the entire battle into account.

I saw you take one torp and dodge a couple of others. Her agility does help in that instance for sure. But here's the question: Do you honestly feel the slight boost to agility (NC is already fairly agile for her tier) and the torpedo belt balance out the drop in mid range AA, the drop in sigma, and the considerable drop in durability?

Apologies for the armchair quarterbacking. I'll fully admit that the whole citadel issue is bothering me and I might be pushing a bit much on this.

Edited by KaptainKaybe