Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
twitch133

Match analysis help

4 comments in this topic

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

I would like to reach out to the forum once again to help analyse a couple of matches. I usually only have time to play a few rounds a day, and managed to lose both of mine today. I think I know why, and what I could have done differently on the first, but am at a complete and total loss on the second.

This is the first round. Even though it was a loss, it was still pretty fun. Doing that much damage against some very good players. It was just a very fast paced and entertaining round.

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/32189

As the round starts out, I call out a B / C strategy, and the fact that the enemy CV is VERY good. That we will need to stick somewhat together. Most of the team agrees to it, but the players up north just start moving about the time we make it to C, and make a beeline for A. Taking a Montana, Khab and Mogami out of the fight. We lose all three to a combination of CV and gunfire. The Khab at least takes the CV down before he dies.

All the while this is going on. My self and the rest of the team have made a hard push for C. and Push the enemy off of C. But the rest of the team lemming'ed behind me to C. At this point in time, I am just trying to do damage to their division of DD's and the Yamato, trying to keep them from becoming aggressive, as they seemed fairly reluctant to move without air cover. I mop up an easy kill just to get him off the board with the AFK Atago (didn't want him reconnecting with the ability to fight anyway). 

At this point in time, I realize the three BB's that deployed to B are getting VERY aggressive, I move back north to stop them. Doing as much damage as I could to dissuade them along the way. The Z-52 shows back up at this time, and I try to get some more damage on him, but realize I can get rid of the Iowa and North Carolina faster. I am not able to outright stop the three of them from pushing, but they do all get killed in the process. Just as the cruisers show up 10km to the north, signaling my time to relocate.

Now, I probably should have moved onto B, But I realized the 2 DD's and the last NC had caught the scent of CV blood, and I needed to move to keep him alive if we were to have ANY chance of winning this. On the way I am able to finish of the Tirpitz and NC, dealing a significant amount of damage to the DD's. With a little bit of help from the Baltimore's radar we finish them both off. Now, things are looking pretty grim, but not unwinnable yet. I do not believe there is much I could have done before this point to win. I believe, had deployed or selected targets differently, we would have lost much faster. As the DD's turned out to be not much of a threat, but the rushing battleships were.

At this point in time, I get a couple of good target focus problems resulting in a few big mistakes.

The first is, I concentrate on the Roon for too long while our CV is under fire. If I had immediately focused on him until he was dead, the CV may have made it. (those planes and points would have likely allowed us to win)

Then the last issue that ended up being the final nail in the coffin. I got fixated on the Roon, again. All the while I had a low health New Orleans well in gun range. If I had finished the NO first, I may have had enough time to kill the roon.

Now for the second round. I am at a complete and total loss on this one. The team deploys A and B. But are not willing to touch the objectives. 

I try to take B several times, but am met with overwhelming fire that I can't return and my team wont. They have the numerical advantage at A, but won't use it. My div mate makes a desperate push for A, and gets trapped into a bad spot, between the Yam and island, allowing their Gearing a double strike. All the while, I am desperately farming damage, trying to get them to move off of B, but to no avail. 

Had I deployed to C, or moved to C. I believe the Fletcher and Gearing would have cornered me. But. In hindsight, I should have lead the east team into C, as we had enough firepower to kill them both, before the gearing had a chance to delete a top tier BB and CA in one salvo.

Other than that, I have absolutely no idea how to pull out the victory from this battle.

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/32190

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edited by twitch133

Beta Testers
136 posts
8,565 battles

1st game:
TBH, yourself has done correct in spearheading the attack. although, there has been a heavy loss of allied ship in 6 minutes in the video.

Mainly because many of your cruisers (exactly 3) around B area, where BBs are extended, are showing broadsides to BBs at B.

BBs will gladly take that as a kill. that's when a team starts collapsing.

Also, 2 ships in A has no chance of winning that side, and died off from CV and others. that's 5 ships gone in a waste almost.

After that, it's just surround and eliminate for the enemy team. before your kill in 7:16, the kill score is already 2:6. there has been enough firepower loss, which is not recoverable.

Only thing i could've suggest to you is to smoke ally cruisers, but.....from watching where they are located, they are bound to get the citadel hits.

2nd Game

From 500 games of experience in Khab, B is cap to go for Khab. So it starts off well.

if allied DD goes into B, you should've stayed around 3km behind, giving support fire against enemy DD. that's my suggestion, but other people can have other suggestions.

Also from looking at the mini map from 5:15, C looks empty. if it is assumed that there is only 1 DD, you could've gone to C and get C cap.

By 6 min, every cap has been taken by enemy, and except you and Yuugumo, all firepower is at A, and their firepower being minimized by them staying behind island.

this is standard loss by a whole team not being aggresive.

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

1st game:

TBH, yourself has done correct in spearheading the attack. although, there has been a heavy loss of allied ship in 6 minutes in the video.

Mainly because many of your cruisers (exactly 3) around B area, where BBs are extended, are showing broadsides to BBs at B.

BBs will gladly take that as a kill. that's when a team starts collapsing.

Also, 2 ships in A has no chance of winning that side, and died off from CV and others. that's 5 ships gone in a waste almost.

After that, it's just surround and eliminate for the enemy team. before your kill in 7:16, the kill score is already 2:6. there has been enough firepower loss, which is not recoverable.

Only thing i could've suggest to you is to smoke ally cruisers, but.....from watching where they are located, they are bound to get the citadel hits.

2nd Game

From 500 games of experience in Khab, B is cap to go for Khab. So it starts off well.

if allied DD goes into B, you should've stayed around 3km behind, giving support fire against enemy DD. that's my suggestion, but other people can have other suggestions.

Also from looking at the mini map from 5:15, C looks empty. if it is assumed that there is only 1 DD, you could've gone to C and get C cap.

By 6 min, every cap has been taken by enemy, and except you and Yuugumo, all firepower is at A, and their firepower being minimized by them staying behind island.

this is standard loss by a whole team not being aggresive.

Thanks for the Input Eugen!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the first round was just on the breaking point of a cascading blowout at any one point. I wonder if, I had hung back and provided smoke cover for the cruisers, if I would have been able to keep them alive for long enough to make a real impact, or if I would have died to the rushing battleships as well? I guess the "what if" game could take me down a pretty deep rabbit hole.

Not trying to be cocky, but I know it was my performance that stopped that match from being a 6 minute blow out. But at the same point in time, I also know that whole reason I was able to do that is the reds left me to my own devices, and an unattended Khabarovsk is a VERY dangerous thing.... had even just a few of them decided to focus me, it would have changed a lot. It is a wonderful thing when you are ignored. (Edit... I failed to notice, there was 2 million potential damage shot at me, I was not being ignored as thoroughly as I thought I was...)

On the second one, I wonder what would have happened If at right there at about the 5 minute mark, I pushed back into C and grabbed the cap. I know that a lot of times, with those teams that refuse to be aggressive. You can inspire them with an early cap, but the question is, getting it without losing your ship.

Edited by twitch133

Sign in to follow this