Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GIock_

Bad RNG or lower than advertised fire chance?

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
32 posts
2,437 battles

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on this.  I seem to be having very few fires today in my Soviet dd's.  I haven't been active in the last 6 months on this game so I am not too sure if this is normal or not.  It was happening other days I played recently, but it has been especially worse the in my last 10 battles with them.  I have only played three games today, but it has finally become too frustrating

Not running IFHE or Demo expert or any flags, just a straight 8 percent chance.  Keep in mind that I consciously aim for superstructure and areas where fires are more likely. 

My builds are in the album as well.

Edited by GIock_

[HINON]
Members
13,733 posts

The ships you shoot at have an inherent chance to catch fire which reduces your base chance. The shell has the same chance to set a fire no matter where it hits according to the devs.

Edited by RipNuN2

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

There is a fire co-efficient for each Tier which reduces the chance for a fire.

For detailed numbers just follow this link: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,647 posts
23,086 battles

Also, one day is not enough to decide lower than advertised fire chance. RNG means you can be very streaky. Small sample sizes are a thing; statistics is a funny field. 

[GWG]
Members
7,226 posts
14,031 battles

There are a whole bunch of new, and available captain skills for lowering fire chance.

Battleships can be a 'Survival Build' where you can spam HE on them the entire mission and score virtually ZERO damage. (or less than 5K).

If you encounter this, switch targets.  Farmer Joe won't harvest anything here.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,244 posts
24,663 battles

RNG is gonna RNG and you didn't have DE.

Hell, I've had games with Atlanta landing hundreds upon hundreds, etc. of hits and I get something like 2 fires.

Beta Testers
190 posts
8,379 battles

The formula for fire chance is (shell fire chance+2(if DE)-3(if IFHE)+flag bonuses)*(ship base fire chance*.90(if fire prevention skill)*.97(if damage control module).

Against tier 10 ships, your fire chance is actually a little under half of what the listed shell fire chance says it is.

Beta Testers
32 posts
2,437 battles

Also, one day is not enough to decide lower than advertised fire chance. RNG means you can be very streaky. Small sample sizes are a thing; statistics is a funny field. 

If you would have read you would have known it wasnt over one day, but clearly you didnt.

Thank you for the feedback all, it just seemed really odd but I guess it would make sense.  The whole tier thing doesnt matter since I was using the tier 10 shooting at tier 10s but I do understand what you're saying.

Beta Testers
190 posts
8,379 battles

If you would have read you would have known it wasnt over one day, but clearly you didnt.

Thank you for the feedback all, it just seemed really odd but I guess it would make sense.  The whole tier thing doesnt matter since I was using the tier 10 shooting at tier 10s but I do understand what you're saying.

It doesn't matter the tier of the ship shooting, it only matters the tier of the ship being shot. Tier 10 ships have a base fire chance of .5005(before modifiers from equipment and CPT skills) that is applied to the fire chance of your shells. This varies by tier and stock vs upgraded hull, and the full chart can be found at http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

So your 8% fire chance is more like 4% when shooting at tier 10's. When shooting at a tier 6 ship the fire chance is more like 6%, because the tier 6 modifier is .7667(again without CPT skill or equipment modifiers).

Sign in to follow this