You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
scruffycavetroll

Alabama or missou?

44 comments in this topic

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,205 battles

So I'm watching this and I'm thinking I'm not going to get this boat. I looked at that citadel & i was like woah. I generally try to get the more interesting / historical ones and even though this is historical...it's really lack luster. 

I'm thinking that if you have the time and desire, to skip this and just try to grind out the Missouri..or use the $$ on the missou and unlock the XP instead of this. 

Missou will be smack in the middle or top tier most of the time, whereas the Alabama may get put as top tier, but something tells me, more often than not, you'll either be bottom tier or mid most of the time with those few rare games coming around where you're top dog. It seems while this thing does have some punching power, it will get knocked around by just about anything. 

I think I'm going to pass on the 'bama.

what do others think?

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,504 posts
6,178 battles

Alabama may have a monster TDS but I never had problems with torpedoes. NC is superior to the Alabama, and in terms of premiums Missouri will completely outclass Alabama as a credit/XP earner. 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, WoWS Community Contributors
5,969 posts
22,141 battles

Answer:

• Cool 4

[JUGGZ]
Members
256 posts
2,930 battles

Depends on why you want it.  If you want a money/XP earner, nothing touches the Missouri.  I can't say how "fun" the Alabama is until I try it so maybe that's a selling point, but the Missouri plays like an Iowa so there's something to measure it against.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

I look at it this way, Alabama will be a cheaper alternative to Missouri. Unless you have the time to grind and I don't.

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

The main weakness of the Alabama is echoed in the Missouri: a tall, easy to hit citadel.  If you can't make one work, you won't be able to make the other one work, either.

The Missouri has added utility against DDs, in the form of radar.

Then again, the torpedo bulges on the Alabama are definitely a thing.

Missouri is far and away the better credit earner, unless there's something to 'bama I'm not seeing.

I can say that the Mo is currently the holder of my personal damage record.  I can also say that it's by no means an easy ship to play.  If you have the free XP available, I'd personally go for the Mo, due to its downright stupid credit earning potential.

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,205 battles

I think you should look at some more reviews first.

no, i would agree with flamu. 

making a brawler, that can be easily cit penned by t6, whose cit sit just as high out of the water as some cruisers, but has great torp reduction is counter intuitive. this will be another BB that people will be afraid to push with and fail at sniping with it due to it's bad accuracy. 

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,205 battles

The main weakness of the Alabama is echoed in the Missouri: a tall, easy to hit citadel.  If you can't make one work, you won't be able to make the other one work, either.

The Missouri has added utility against DDs, in the form of radar.

Then again, the torpedo bulges on the Alabama are definitely a thing.

Missouri is far and away the better credit earner, unless there's something to 'bama I'm not seeing.

I can say that the Mo is currently the holder of my personal damage record.  I can also say that it's by no means an easy ship to play.  If you have the free XP available, I'd personally go for the Mo, due to its downright stupid credit earning potential.

That's kind of what i'm saying. I have the Missou too and it just seems like over all, dollar per dollar, the Missou gets you a much better boat. 

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

no, i would agree with flamu. 

making a brawler, that can be easily cit penned by t6, whose cit sit just as high out of the water as some cruisers, but has great torp reduction is counter intuitive. this will be another BB that people will be afraid to push with and fail at sniping with it due to it's bad accuracy. 

What if I told you it's not a brawler, but a mid-range bow-fighter?  *Insert Morpheus Here*  :P  

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

Don't waste free XP on Missouri. For that much free XP, you could basically "buy" a full BB tree... so, like, a Yamato or a Montana or something. They won't grind credits like a Missouri will (but they will do very well with premium camouflage), but the first time you break a Missouri's back with a single Yamato salvo, you'll thank yourself for not getting it.

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,205 battles

What if I told you it's not a brawler, but a mid-range bow-fighter?  *Insert Morpheus Here*  :P  

i'll skip both the red & blue pill, take the green and hop in the dunkeroo :)

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

i'll skip both the red & blue pill, take the green and hop in the dunkeroo :)

It's not so much a pill, as a capsule of pure ghost pepper extract.  That thing fire-trolls so hard.

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Personally, I think the Missouri.

It's getting the fixed citadel the Iowa/Monty is, so it'll be a bit more durable.  It also has the 16"/50 instead of the /45s, so it's got a much flatter trajectory than the Alabama.  

Couple that with the credit earning potential of a Tier 9 premium, I think the Missouri is the better ship - though you'll probably be paying twice what the Alabama costs in Doubloons to convert the XP.

[REVY]
Members
8,099 posts
6,118 battles

The Missouri is the more expensive ship, but she can also mount the all important Artillery Plotting Room 2 and she has radar, making her the more flexible ship. What the Alabama has, the NC can do better in almost every way.  If the Alabama is inexpensive, I'd pick her up instead, cause I don't own any USN premiums, and I really like the NC.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,191 posts
14,754 battles

Alabama may have a monster TDS but I never had problems with torpedoes. NC is superior to the Alabama, and in terms of premiums Missouri will completely outclass Alabama as a credit/XP earner. 

This and the Missouri doesn't have to cost any real money unless you get impatient and convert experience.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

The Missouri is the more expensive ship, but she can also mount the all important Artillery Plotting Room 2 and she has radar, making her the more flexible ship. What the Alabama has, the NC can do better in almost every way.  If the Alabama is inexpensive, I'd pick her up instead, cause I don't own any USN premiums, and I really like the NC.

I think we can bank on Alabama being a $70ish boat. That's what they like to charge for tier 8 BBs.

[REVY]
Members
8,099 posts
6,118 battles

I think we can bank on Alabama being a $70ish boat. That's what they like to charge for tier 8 BBs.

If so, then I'll pass, cause the NC premium camo is a whole lot cheaper.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

So do you think they made Alabama underwhelming out of spite for all the complaining going on when it was supposed to be for testers only? :trollface:

• Cool 1

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

Alabama will probably be a much better bang for the buck scenario. If you don't grind out the free XP, it will cost probably twice as much as Alabame will to convert enough to buy Missouri.

But... Missouri is going to be getting its citadel lowered along with Montana and Iowa... (or so rumor has it) Where Alabama will still have a Citadel that sits higher out of the water than Everest.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

So do you think they made Alabama underwhelming out of spite for all the complaining going on when it was supposed to be for testers only? :trollface:

Actually, I think the ship is pretty reflective of American high tier play - decent accuracy, big guns, modest speed, strong AA, and a belt made out of glass.

A more applicable question is: did WG punish the USN battleships as a whole because they were spiteful over the end result of the cold war, and had a desire to "put the USA in its place"...?

Edited by IJN_Hyuga

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

Why? Tirpitz was on it's own without a package 51 dollars? Why would Alabama be 70? If anything she'll cost as much as Tirpitz. So Alabama will be easily less than half the cost of conversion.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

Why? Tirpitz was on it's own without a package 51 dollars? Why would Alabama be 70? If anything she'll cost as much as Tirpitz. So Alabama will be easily less than half the cost of conversion.

Tirpitz initially cost close to $80 as I recall.

[SYN]
[SYN]
30,523 posts
5,705 battles

Tirpitz initially cost close to $80 as I recall.

What? No. Her ultimate package was. Ship on it's on was 51 bucks, which is what I spent on it when it came out.