You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

Player-initiated chat bans need to stop

27 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

Admittedly, it's the first time it's ever happened to me, but this is basically the worst system conceivable. I was playing in my Blys on Islands of Ice - the team decided to go B/C, so I went A to poke around (cap if it was clear, bail if it wasn't). I announced my intentions as such beforehand, and nobody objected. 

As I was approaching A, a group of fighters appeared over the horizon, so I began to turn out - reasonably concluding that the CV was scouting for his van. Sure enough, a few seconds later, up pops an Amagi and an Atago - good thing I was still undetected and already speeding away.

I've nearly completed my half circle when I realize that I wasn't the only person who went A... for whatever reason, a Hipper decided to tag along. He was about 6 km on my SW quarter and sailing in the wrong direction. Immediately, he starts taking fire from the Amagi and the Atago, and the carrier is now sending four wings of bombers towards him.

"DD smoke."

"DD GIVE ME SMOKE."

It's very clear to me that this individual is dead - he's dead no matter what I do. The planes were already closer to him than I was, and the Amagi's first salvo took half his HP. So I say.

"Yeah, sorry, but you're screwed. I have no idea why you followed me. That was really freaking stupid."

He goes ballistic, starts calling me a moron, and when I go to respond, I discover that I'm chat banned for 24 hours. Keep in mind, I haven't really said anything to the guy at this point, other than telling him that he was dumb to Yolo... but apparently my failure to go kill myself on his behalf warranted a sizable portion of the team reporting me?

What kind of rubbish-y system is this?

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,401 posts

That means other people reported you too. I do agree the ban either shouldnt happen or should only be like an hour.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
2,640 posts
7,936 battles

first off, your avatar perfectly captures a normal person's reaction to this.

second off: if you got a recording of the incident I'd submit a support ticket about it.

third off:  agreed, this system is unfortunately all to easy to abuse.

• Cool 1

Members
82 posts
8,596 battles

Quite often it's not WHAT we say but HOW we say it that infuriates people.

I see that you didn't call him "stupid", and only called him on acting stupidly. However, in many minds, saying the action was stupid is the same as calling him stupid.

Tact (especially in written chat) is very important.

• Cool 3

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

first off, your avatar perfectly captures a normal person's reaction to this.

second off: if you got a recording of the incident I'd submit a support ticket about it.

third off:  agreed, this system is unfortunately all to easy to abuse.

No recording I'm afraid - I don't generally have any reason to record my games (especially not in a Blys - it's a bad ship for me). 

That means other people reported you too. I do agree the ban either shouldnt happen or should only be like an hour.

Oh, no, I know that it took more than one person to report me. But I think people did it because they were mad I didn't go back and desperately try to save the guy. If I had done that, we both would have died - there isn't a doubt in my mind.

Players are now aware that the only report feature that "does" something is chat abuse, so that's the one they spam. I've actually seen people in matches previously advocate reporting AFKers for chat infractions because it "punishes them," so I know for a fact it's being abused by people to mete out justice for what they perceive as bad play.

Edited by IJN_Hyuga
  • Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,647 posts
23,083 battles

I've gotten chat-banned because a whole 3-ship division was spamming racist bull[edited] in allchat and I called them out on it and told them to stop. When a player can post "let's get sunk and then hang some ni----s" and I tell them to stfu and *I* get the chatban for that, there's something very broken. 

I know that multiple players have to report to get the chatban, but I've gotten chatbanned for some really stupid reasons (happens every couple of months to me.) Other players should not be able to get you banned from chat for 24 hours just by clicking a button, at least not without a much higher threshold than seems to exist. It's infuriating when it happens the first game after I buy a 24-hour premium account to play a bunch and then watch my win rate nosedive because I can't communicate with my team. 

• Cool 1

[TAFY3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
460 posts
11,208 battles

Why does a chat ban matter?  No one uses chat anyways.  Team agrees A/B.  First sign of a ship they leave their DDs to die, and run away.  I'd prefer an option to turn all of the chat off.  It is useless.

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

Why does a chat ban matter?  No one uses chat anyways.  Team agrees A/B.  First sign of a ship they leave their DDs to die, and run away.  I'd prefer an option to turn all of the chat off.  It is useless.

Well, I use it. Generally I like to inform people where I am going. Plus, when I'm dead, I do try to help out - a lot of players overlook low HP ships right near them when they get shooting at something. Communication can be very important.
  • Cool 2

Members
515 posts
306 battles

No.

No.

No.

No.

Want to know what MP games like this have that helps give life? A chat system. The ability for teams to communicate. It adds a social aspect.

WoTB removed both global chat and the ability to chat after death (you can only chat with your team when you're alive), and I can safely say that it's hard to play the game now because it feels so utterly soulless. The complaints about this change were so massive that there was a thread posted by the moderators asking for opinions on the ban that is over ten freaking pages long, with over three quarters of those posts being that chat needs to come back. This thread is still going strong, and the last post was put up three days ago. It is unlikely that that one is the last, and even if it is there are occasional threads posted by users that are asking for the return of chat.

If an MP game has no chat it's basically single player. It feels like a bot shoot rather than a fun multiplayer game; it takes away a sense of life and makes things dull. Hell, if we remove chat we should remove divisions because hey, divisions use chat! Chat is useless! If div members can't communicate with each other and coordinate then it's pointless to have such a system at all!

I rarely comment on this forum; I lurk most of the time like I do on the WoT PC and Blitz forums. This is one of the times where I had to come out of the bloody woodwork and speak, because I can't stand seeing the tragedy that's become of Blitz happening to a community as kind as this one. You've lit a fire in my belly, as Gordon Ramsay would say.

Even an option is risky, as it means vital advice from dead team members will go completely unnoticed. This can screw entire games- I speak from experience in WoTB.

Edited by BrassFire
  • Cool 5

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,187 battles

Here is an idea...

Stop posting in the chat.

Just use the F keys

[YIKES]
Members
3,880 posts
23,660 battles

Here is an idea...

Stop posting in the chat.

Just use the F keys

F6

[HINON]
Members
13,730 posts

Be a bit more polite, it takes reports from 6 separate people to chat ban you according to support.

• Cool 2

[AXANR]
Members
3,647 posts
23,083 battles

Be a bit more polite, it takes reports from 6 separate people to chat ban you according to support.

Yes, and half of that can be one 3-ship division griefing people, plus 3 more people randomly reporting you for stupid crap. 

[SQUAD]
Members
9,176 posts
11,680 battles

A ton of players blame everyone else on the team for their own failings, idiocy, and all around moronic actions.

• Cool 1

Members
11,026 posts
30,437 battles

I see that you didn't call him "stupid", and only called him on acting stupidly. However, in many minds, saying the action was stupid is the same as calling him stupid.

And this is why people do not deserve to be treated with respect.

Flame harden their skins.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,478 posts
3,268 battles

Use it to state the obvious.  If you think its useless, then your not using it right. 

stating the obvious will often times get your team to react to it. Because it seems most players get tunnel vision, and the visual reminder that chat gives them can sometimes snap them out of it a little bit.

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

If you have been fasley reported of course. I have a remedy for that.  Simply submit a ticket under support and file an appeal.  If you are found guilty of the ban and you did use derogatory or anything else yes the ban will stay put.  If you are found innocent it will be removed.  It's just as simple

Have you ever actually tried this "remedy" of yours?

[AXANR]
Members
3,647 posts
23,083 battles

Player initiated bans are not going to stop.  They will continue to happen.  If you have been fasley reported of course. I have a remedy for that.  Simply submit a ticket under support and file an appeal.  If you are found guilty of the ban and you did use derogatory or anything else yes the ban will stay put.  If you are found innocent it will be removed.  It's just as simple yes someones gonna get their feelings hurt and report you because they can.  Or because you are doing better than them they will report you.  This has been going on since the day the in game report system has come out.  My only advice to you is be mindful of what you say in chat regardless if the other person is using foul mouthed language or not.  If wargaming monitors catch you, you are therefore guilty and will keep the ban in place.  

It's a 24-hour chatban. Support is not going to get back to you within 24 hrs on weekends and often not within 24 hrs on weekdays. Did you even read the thread? Don't be an idiot. 

Members
2 posts
7,704 battles

stop with the crapautomatic chat bans, if you say something about the crapin your team and when an few complain you get an chat ban, its normal if you can complain about the trash in your team, otherwise make divisions that you can level up to an normal team without all the crapthat running around in this game

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

It's a 24-hour chatban. Support is not going to get back to you within 24 hrs on weekends and often not within 24 hrs on weekdays.

Pretty much this. There is no process to contest these bans, and I wouldn't expect there to be - WG has better things (I hope) to do with their time. The point of the thread was that the system for assigning the bans themselves is flawed.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,235 battles

Personally I think they're fantastic.

A very democratic system of passing judgement.

If you have been gagged, you are the weakest link.

Just like The Apprentice.

Edited by HMS_Formidable
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,186 posts

So you indicated it was a stupid to move to follow in support of your DD and the person didn't like it.

I can understand that. I can also understand others who will have seen a ship looking to support a DD and then that DD bugging out and pretty much saying 'sorry, you're on your own'.

I've been in similar situations where I have warned the supporting ship we have no support and he/she will be the main focus of fire.

I see many BB players complain about the smaller ships running and leaving them high and dry when they move up in support; maybe you leaving your support whilst telling them their actions were stupid made many consider you did exactly that.

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,187 battles

Well...

It finally happened.

topkek

ZP3Ii06.png

salty salty salty.

So if I dont go OH HAI! in game... well... this is why QQ

AtPTt8M.gif

Edited by slak__

Members
296 posts
4,465 battles

funny, I was going to say the only thing missing is tact