You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Any R/C modelers here?

22 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

I have a humble collection of 1/16th scale R/C tanks:

i1pk2HR.jpg

The first one is a Heng Long Pz IV Ausf. F2, 14.5" hull length, and is in quite a sorry state. It needs minor repairs, camo, weathering, wash, detailing, tools, stowage, decals, a matte clearcoat and a new electronics package - the old one is malfunctioning, it doesn't respond well to the steering anymore.

The second one is a Heng Long JagdPanther, 17.7" hull length, and is nearly done. I've already replaced the nylon-gear gearboxes with metal-gear ones, added stowage, repainted and weathered. Just needs decals and a matte clearcoat.

Third one is an old Tamiya Tiger II, from the 1990s, 18" hull length. I've done extensive modifications to it, replaced the old single-motor clutch drive with two separate steel-gear gearboxes, replaced the drive sprockets, replaced the plastic barrel with an aluminium turned one, scratchbuilt a barrel mounting, added a barrel elevation system, working headlight, replacement metal exhausts, replaced the tow hitches, repainted, applied camo, weathered, applied washes, stowage, engine vent mesh grills ... Just needs decals, a matte clearcoat and a new electronics package to get it mobile again.

Last one is a Torro Leopard 2A6 with steel-gear gearboxes, 18.8" hull length. Just needs some detailing, weathering, a wash, decals and a matte clear-coat. Plus need to paint the commander figure and maybe add some stowage, maybe a camo net wound around the barrel.

sl4QrAc.jpg 

And showing off the size difference between these tanks:

nHaKlfb.jpg

Unfortunately, in my situation it's going to take a while getting them all done - better part of a year, if not more. Especially the Pz IV is going to be a long time before it's finished.

Any other R/C modelers around here? Doesn't have to be tanks. Planes, cars, trucks and ships count too.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

When I was about 15 or 16, I made an R/C sub out of a 1:72 Typ VII U-Boat.

I think I missed a pressure seal somewhere though, since it didn't last very long....

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

When I was about 15 or 16, I made an R/C sub out of a 1:72 Typ VII U-Boat.

I think I missed a pressure seal somewhere though, since it didn't last very long....

:teethhappy:

Dive, Dive, Dive!

*gurgle*

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

Despite all the work left to do on these, especially the Pz IV and KT which require the most financial investment - I'm already thinking about which tank to get next. StuG? Panther G? Sherman M4A3? T-34/85? M41 Walker Bulldog? Abrams M1A2? Challenger 2?

*sigh* Choices, choices, choices.

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,160 battles

Very nice Lert!

I bought a kit about 25 years ago called the "Blue Devil Destroyer".  The kit is a 1/125th scale Fletcher-class DD with hull marking of 680, which makes it the USS Melvin.  It wasn't R/C out of the box, but motorized.  I ended up customizing it for R/C and it was fun experience.  I still have it on my shelf with the hopes that some day I'll float it again.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/lin/kit_lin_70815.shtml

b

Edited by bassmasta76

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

:teethhappy:

Dive, Dive, Dive!

*gurgle*

Everything was fine during the tests! But no~ 

Bring the thing to a lake once, and it's never seen again! 

*sigh*. To be fair, so many things could have gone wrong. I'm just assuming it was a pressure seal issue since there were bubbles....then nothing.

So, for any other R/C sub enthusiasts, pick a shallow lake for your outings. That way, you can actually recover the damned thing if anything goes wrong. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

So, for any other R/C sub enthusiasts, pick a shallow lake for your outings. That way, you can actually recover the damned thing if anything goes wrong. 

Or make it so it floats naturally (using custom-cut foam inserts) and dives dynamically - IE it has to be moving in order to dive.

I've always wanted to try my hand at Robbe's old 1:60 scale Type VIIb and convert it to the Type VIIc U96 from the movie Das Boot. I just can't afford it.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I used to build cars and planes when I was a kid.  I'm about halfway through a Panzer I Ausf. B, but I kind of gave up on it.  My hands shake too much for that these days.  So, I bought a pre-assembled remote controlled airsoft Walker Bulldog instead :)

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Or make it so it floats naturally, and dives dynamically - IE it has to be moving in order to dive.

I've always wanted to try my hand at Robbe's old 1:60 scale Type VIIb and convert is to the Type VIIc U96 from the movie Das Boot. I just can't afford it.

I know, I know. I wanted to make it fancy though, and used a ballast tank system for more realistic diving motions.

I mean, it dived well that one time.... 

[TJRD]
Members
836 posts
5,476 battles

I really want to make some model ships, Bismarck and Graf Spee to start with. Most of my hobby money is going to ammo/accesories for my 1943 Mauser k98. :D Not to mention i'm a senior in high school going to college this fall. :P

Edited by Sir_Orrin

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
6,193 posts
4,955 battles

Back when I had time (read: right out of college), I gave 1/6 scale RC paintball tanks a shot..  started a job before I even finished the hull, let alone the firing mechanism, but had a pretty good idea for a Grant/Lee tank going.

Edited by Jinxed_Katajainen

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,409 battles

Only boats here, but those are some nice tanks!

I recently bought a Tamiya 1/350 Tirpitz too, but I doubt I'll get a chance to look at it for a while.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

Needs some cats

CQBM8Kt.jpg

Freyja remains unimpressed.

Members
2,136 posts
5,764 battles

Can those actually shoot or not? I have a friend who has a model of the M60 Patton that shoots 6mm airsoft BBs. I don't know what scale though (It is about as large as yours).

In the case of ships, I have a few of my own paper designs for RC ships. Of course I had to give them the capability to fire .22 rounds. :teethhappy:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

Can those actually shoot or not?

The JP and Leo can shoot 6mm airsoft BBs. To be honest though, it's fun for about 2 minutes, but the novelty wears off really fast. As a modeler, I'd much rather they had the barrel recoil and flashbulb function instead of airsoft, but I was limited in what was available when I got them.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

The JP and Leo can shoot 6mm airsoft BBs. To be honest though, it's fun for about 2 minutes, but the novelty wears off really fast. As a modeler, I'd much rather they had the barrel recoil and flashbulb function instead of airsoft, but I was limited in what was available when I got them.

The Walker Bulldog I got was around $100 and comes with a smoke effect, flash and barrel recoil.  I think this is it:

https://www.hobbytron.com/RCTankElectricWalkerBulldogUSM41A3AA697323839.html#

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles

The Walker Bulldog I got was around $100 and comes with a smoke effect, flash and barrel recoil.  I think this is it:

Stsandard Heng Long, they go between $100 and $200 depending on variant and version. You got yours pretty cheap. It's a fun little thing to bomb around with, isn't it. :)