You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ships: Demotivating Progression

158 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,278 posts
10,385 battles

On my personal account, I have long neglected the US Battleship line.  This first began with trying to unlock the Battleships I had in Closed Beta.  I set my sights on reacquiring my Amagi and unlocking the Izumo as more of priority than progressing down the American Battleships.  Between ship reviews and being distracted by Ranked Battles or unlocking whatever was shiny and new, I just haven't progressed through the American Battleship line.  But there's a new complication I'm finding now.  Short of unlocking Montana, I don't need to grind out the US Battleships to get a pretty nice taste of the line itself.  I can just play premiums.

It's no secret that players can pay for a premium and sample high tier game play.  But how often have you thought about how premiums can slow (or altogether stop) someone's progression through the tech trees?  The US Battleship line is probably the poster child of this, especially for a Beta Veteran like me.

• Arkansas Beta (tier 4), replaces Wyoming.
  • Texas (tier 5), replaces New York
  • Arizona (tier 6), replaces New Mexico
  • Alabama (tier 8) replaces North Carolina
  • Missouri (tier 9), replaces Iowa

So what's my motivation to grind up this tech tree again?  The Colorado and Montana would have to be pretty fantastic to warrant it, wouldn't they?  This isn't the only line similarly affected, though it's definitely the most complete.  Consider:

German Battleship line

• König Albert (tier 3), replaces both Nassau and Kaiser
  • Scharnhorst (tier 7), replaces Gneisenau
  • Tirpitz (tier 8), replaces Bismarck (sorta)

Soviet Cruiser line

• Diana (tier 2), replaces Novik
  • Oleg (tier 3), replaces Bogatyr
  • Krasny Krym (tier 5), replaces Svietlana
  • Molotov (tier 6), replaces Kirov
  • Mikhail Kutuzov (tier 8), replaces Chapayev

There are some isolated high tier premiums which also provide a taste of game play that can further demotivate anyone from feeling the need to progress up the tech tree.

• Atago (tier 8), plays very similarly to Ibuki at tier 9
  • Leningrad (tier 7) plays very similarly to Minsk at tier 7 and Ognevoi at tier 8.
  • Prinz Eugen (tier 8) is a fat Admiral Hipper, also at tier 8.
  • Lo Yang (tier 8), gives a nice taste of Benson-style game play from tier 8.
  • Indianapolis (tier 7), supplants New Orleans at tier 8.

Of course, this can go both ways.  Maybe the taste of the game play provided by the premiums only motivated you more to ascend up that tech-tree and play out all of the ships that these premiums didn't touch upon.  Maybe a premium that you acquired from a Santa Crate or a similar one-off acquisition kindled your drive to try out a line you might have otherwise passed over. 

So sound off.  What has been your experience with premium ships in encouraging or discouraging you from grinding up that respective tech-tree line?

• Cool 5

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Personally, I haven't gone very far up IJN cruisers or BBs since I had always had 4 Kongos and 4 Myokos anyways. I mean I'd been missing out but I think that's a sound analysis.

• Cool 1

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
9,439 battles

I would agree with your thought that premium ships in some way affect the desire to grind up to the top.

There simply needs to be an end-game for Tier X, and only Tier X, that would encourage players to strive upwards.  Clan Wars from World of Tanks was a great example of this (before they went to multi-tiers).  It created a desire and a need to get up there to participate in the high rewards game modes.

[-K-]
Members
1,151 posts
9,181 battles

It's an interesting point. Most of the time, however, it's worked in the opposite direction for me since I started my grinds back in open beta.

For example, I won't buy the Alabama because I already have the NC. I didn't get Missouri because I already have Iowa. I didn't get Lo Yang because I already had Benson. I didn't buy Eugen because I had Hipper. About the only ships this didn't occur with for me that I can think of were Tirpitz which came out way before the rest of the German BBs, and Belfast because it was out before the RN cruisers.

Edited by RightYouAreKen
  • Cool 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
11,587 battles

It does the opposite for me.  I'm a completionist and have a driving force to unlock and acquire all the ships.  What premiums do for me is provide me an alternative to keeping a tech tree with added XP and credit bonuses.  The only premiums I buy are ones where I loved the playstyle of the tech tree version at that tier and I don't want to grind a captain specifically for that ship.  The only exception to this is Blys, because ranked.

[TDD]
Members
1,181 posts
9,378 battles

well despite my premies I did grind both USBBs (Yay!!!!!) and USDDs all the way. But I have only recently been going back to the grind in other trees simply cause i enjoy playing a hand full of ships the most. and yes all of those would be premies.

and crazy as it sounds my favoite ship and the one I am best at is the Campbletown...go figure

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,295 posts
22,175 battles

I don't know, I think the "grind" feeds my compulsion for a premium.  I learn the play style I like and then am drawn by those premums that mimic it.  

I was one of those who liked the Kirov, so I got the Molotov.  Etc

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,637 battles

Just to throw something constructive out rather than protesting the prinz description, I buy premiums because typically they are close to the playstyle of a tech tree ship I enjoyed, and sometimes their unique specialties make them fun in their own ways too.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

Yeah, I'm not going up the USN battleships line at all, even though I breifly flirted with the idea right after starting the game. Now, I have the Missouri. I mean, I could try for the Montana, but I really only ever wanted to get the Iowa from that line, since she's such a beautiful and iconic ship.

As for the German cruiser line, well, they're all pretty meh right now, aren't they? I have the Prinz as well, and love that ship to death. However, I'm not going to touch the tech-tree line itself since it's so...er, what's the word? Situational?

Though, on the other side of the spectrum, I was motivated to go down the RU cruiser line solely due to the fact that the Kutuzov is such a fun experience. If it we're for that, I wouldn't even consider it. The same could be said for my experience with the German battleship line.      

[-DPF-]
Members
774 posts
10,658 battles

Personally, I have had some of both effects.  I struggled with Atago, and it made me in no hurry to go up the IJN cruiser line.  On the other hand, I loved Tirpitz, which has motivated me to drive up the DKM BB line, and I am at FDG, closing in on GK!  So I have found that Premiums allow me to get a taste of a line to see if it suits me.  Then if it does suit me, they help me progress up the line.  I have honestly never felt like there was no point in going up a line because I had premium ships that already played that way.  In most cases, the premiums have enough individual flavor that I find I want both the tech tree ship and the premium (here's looking at you Scharnhorst & Gneisenau!).  Thanks Mouse for yet another well thought out exploration!:medal:  It is fun to really think this stuff through! 

For what its worth, I did go all the way down the US line, and got my Montana recently, which I love, despite having Texas, Arizona & Missouri.  It was a fun challenge, and I in truth, I like my Montana better than my Yamato!:hiding:

Edited by Nhi_Vanye

[REVY]
Members
8,097 posts
6,118 battles

Since I don't review Premium ships, I'm allowed to buy Premium ships after I've already grinded the tech tree equivalent.  That way, premium ships exist as a way for me to experience ships lower down on the line I'm currently at, and get some extra credits and exp to boot.  I try to avoid buying any ships higher up in the line since that would ruin my motivation to grind (I enjoy some progression).

Edited by Sventex

[HELLS]
Members
2,730 posts
28,912 battles

I have a fair number of Premiums, Belfast, Perth, Admiral Graf Spee (freebee won in Challenge), Scharnhorst, Texas (gift-a good one too!), Arizona, Blyskawica, Ishizuchi, Emden (Santa supercrate prizes the last two! LoL!), and , of course, Mikasa and Katori (good for laughs in Co-op). That has not stopped me from playing up the lines that I like (RN and USN). My only IJN and VMF ships are all those won in the ARP and other Challenges, as I don't play those lines. I play these at least once a week in Random, or use them to grind mission challenges in Co-op. The only DKM ship I have from the DKM standard line  is Königsberg, which I free XP'd to for use as a trainer prior to the Admiral Graf Spee launching. She is the best ship for win rate that I own, all ship types and tiers together. In the USN and RN lines I am grinding (slowly) to T9 and T10, except for CVs, which are Greek to me so I don't play them. I tend to play the first win bonus game for the types I am grinding once a day in Random, then move over to the rest of the ships. I play my go-to standards more than my Premiums unless I am grinding Free XP for upgrades or a purchase of some kind. Depends on what you like to do, I guess...

Members
2,614 posts
3,604 battles

I am not really sure how the premiums could effect the climb. I can see it stopping or stalling the climb with something like USN BB's. Where the premium version provides a huge gameplay or economic advantage, AND the end game (Montana) is generally panned by other players.

I think it is more about the game play though. This game seems to me, to significantly change at about the tier 7 mark. I mostly play shooters, so I will compare it to a couple of major titles. It will give the player insight into it without having to invest a significant amount of time.

----

It feels like tiers 1-6 seem to play more like the fast paced, brawling shooters. Such as Halo, Call of Duty, or Battlefield. Mistakes are not as punishing, and everything plays out at a much faster pace.

Tier 7 is a hybrid, depending on being top or bottom tier, it can be either the above, or below.

Tiers 8-10 are more like the slower paced, methodical, tactical shooters. Such as Rainbow Six: Siege, Arma, player unknown battlegrounds... 

---

Either way though, I cannot see them stopping the grind entirely. Unless.... It is a direct replacement for the tech tree ship that has economic bonuses that make you not want to play the tech tree version. (Looking at you Mighty Mo')

Edited by twitch133

Alpha Tester
415 posts

What has been your experience with premium ships in encouraging or discouraging you from grinding up that respective tech-tree line?

I started off with a Gremy and an Iwaki (among others) and didn't bother at all with progression for several months. In fact I only just now landed my first Tier X, and that was so that I can quickly develop a 19-point Commander XP grinder. I doubt I will progress all the way up another tech tree line at this point, unless a forthcoming line turns out to be power creeped to the point of brokenness. In fact the only ship I'm keen to earn XP with is the Benson, so that I can get myself a Fletcher. At that point I'll be set at every tier. 

I'll still probably spend money though. 

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, WoWS Community Contributors
5,969 posts
22,141 battles

I used to do all my dailies on all my ships every day...  then I started getting too many ships!

Now...  I have progressed to tier 10 on 12 lines, with only 3 remaining to grind.  I'm excited because now I feel like I can play my premium ships again!

[NG-NL]
Members
6,266 posts
10,102 battles

WG's fault that they clone existing ships and pass them off as premiums.

Make them unique. Atlanta is one. Kutuzov less so cause has smoke.

Bring in Enterprise, with 84-plane hangar and a 2-2-1 stock loadout option, as well as access to to fully upgraded Lexington planes. I'd buy her in a heartbeart cause she's different from Lexington.

• Cool 1

[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,102 battles

On my personal account, I have long neglected the US Battleship line.  This first began with trying to unlock the Battleships I had in Closed Beta.  I set my sights on reacquiring my Amagi and unlocking the Izumo as more of priority than progressing down the American Battleships.  Between ship reviews and being distracted by Ranked Battles or unlocking whatever was shiny and new, I just haven't progressed through the American Battleship line.  But there's a new complication I'm finding now.  Short of unlocking Montana, I don't need to grind out the US Battleships to get a pretty nice taste of the line itself.  I can just play premiums.

It's no secret that players can pay for a premium and sample high tier game play.  But how often have you thought about how premiums can slow (or altogether stop) someone's progression through the tech trees?  The US Battleship line is probably the poster child of this, especially for a Beta Veteran like me.

• Arkansas Beta (tier 4), replaces Wyoming.
  • Texas (tier 5), replaces New York
  • Arizona (tier 6), replaces New Mexico
  • Alabama (tier 8) replaces North Carolina
  • Missouri (tier 9), replaces Iowa

So what's my motivation to grind up this tech tree again?  The Colorado and Montana would have to be pretty fantastic to warrant it, wouldn't they?  This isn't the only line similarly affected, though it's definitely the most complete.  Consider:

German Battleship line

• König Albert (tier 3), replaces both Nassau and Kaiser
  • Scharnhorst (tier 7), replaces Gneisenau
  • Tirpitz (tier 8), replaces Bismarck (sorta)

Soviet Cruiser line

• Diana (tier 2), replaces Novik
  • Oleg (tier 3), replaces Bogatyr
  • Krasny Krym (tier 5), replaces Svietlana
  • Molotov (tier 6), replaces Kirov
  • Mikhail Kutuzov (tier 8), replaces Chapayev

There are some isolated high tier premiums which also provide a taste of game play that can further demotivate anyone from feeling the need to progress up the tech tree.

• Atago (tier 8), plays very similarly to Ibuki at tier 9
  • Leningrad (tier 7) plays very similarly to Minsk at tier 7 and Ognevoi at tier 8.
  • Prinz Eugen (tier 8) is a fat Admiral Hipper, also at tier 8.
  • Lo Yang (tier 8), gives a nice taste of Benson-style game play from tier 8.
  • Indianapolis (tier 7), supplants New Orleans at tier 8.

Of course, this can go both ways.  Maybe the taste of the game play provided by the premiums only motivated you more to ascend up that tech-tree and play out all of the ships that these premiums didn't touch upon.  Maybe a premium that you acquired from a Santa Crate or a similar one-off acquisition kindled your drive to try out a line you might have otherwise passed over. 

So sound off.  What has been your experience with premium ships in encouraging or discouraging you from grinding up that respective tech-tree line?

For me the Premium ships are a nice accent piece to the given lines in question. In some cases the lines themselves have discouraged me to buy the premium due a lack of features in regular line ships.

The Arkansas was just a reward for me, for slugging it out in Beta. I never particularly loved the Wyoming... but loved the new york, and forward save for at the time Lolorado. (The dark times before she became a Beast) By the time the USN premium battleships started rolling out in force I was already into the NC and nearly into my Iowa. Texas definitely replaces NY, (which I sold) but Arizona and New Sexico, are different enough that I kept the New Mex after getting the Arizona. AZ's shells break much more frequently than NM's super heavy 14" shells, and the NM can defend itself with AA once fully specced into it. At the other end of the coin, AZ has longer range, premium skin and is a good trainer.

To date I have gotten every USN BB premium released, which works great for me, as I always need captain trainers, and credit printers. Right now for example I am training my second NC, and Second Montana captains, in Texas and Arizona respectively. I may move my second NC captain out of the AZ and into Bama when it comes out, since most of my friends are now nearing T8 ships. 

I know at one point you were cheating on your Warspite with New Sexico, (which is one of my favorite BBs in the game) and I can tell you, that if you liked Warspite you will love Colorado. She's no longer the floating gimp machine of Beta and early launch. Her guns hit as hard as NCs, she's much more accurate than NC due to the close barrel spacing, higher velocity shells, and same sigma and she's tanky when played with an angled belt. So let that be incentive for you. Montana, with the dispersion upgrade taken (do not under any circumstances take MB3..it's just flat out awful because of how derp the guns are without the other upgrade), is also worth the grind. She plays like a New Mexico, with even bigger guns, even better AA, that can actually move with the team since she moves at 30 knts. She's actually one of my credit printers since I have the premium camo. 

Other lines... I got the Lenningrad because Russian Stronk OP, and I frankly have little genuine interest in the line of made up WG Fan Fiction, the same with the cruisers. Once I got to Budyonny I stopped. (and never bought the Molotov) For me I guess the ship is either Unique and that's what makes my wallet open, or she was Historic. The USN BBs I buy, for the historic value as much as anything, the Dunkerque I bought because I love French BBs. (and she has been a quite pleasant surprise). Indianapolis I bought for again, the historic value... 

British..I bought the Warspite, british battleship, and with a storied history. But no other premiums why? Because Perth and Belfast lack what make the cruiser line so fun, and that's the super ap shells. 

A line can deter me, or entice me into buying a premium version. If I buy a premium ship it's mostly for historic, or unique factors, with captain trainer as a bonus.

[ZAZEN]
Alpha Tester
404 posts
8,964 battles

I bought the Atago and like little mouse said, what is the point in playing Myoko and Mogami?

only now just started playing Myoko for ranked... 

I set aside my Tirpitz  to play Gneisenau specifically to get the Bismarck's powerful secondaries

but after tier 8? I dont really see a point to grinding past that if the meta is not established. Ranked is my favorite part of this now.. 

especially since you cant use elite ships to grind the captain skills like WoT...

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,566 posts

Prems dont bother my progression as there are many many good and fun tech tree ships.

Hence i have every line besides CV's at T9 or T10

Members
2,255 posts

I love playing my prems and knowing I'll never lose money on them. Something satisfying know that I have $1,900 worth of credits on my account. I normally take the free XP I get from them and spend it on the tech tree lines. I got Iowa, Bismarck, Zao and T8 JP DD unlocked that way. 

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Prinz Eugen (tier 8) is a fat Admiral Hipper, also at tier 8.

Why are you always so negative towards Prinz Eugen? She did nothing wrong :(

Back to topic,

I haven't really bought any Premium ships yet, the majority was earned during several events (all but Eugen, Ischi and Emden were earned). I don't really feel like they replace any line completely. I have played the USN BB line to Tier 7 so far and I would not trade my memories with them for any of the Premiums that you say replace them.

[RLGN]
Members
14,935 posts
26,464 battles

Personally, I haven't gone very far up IJN cruisers or BBs since I had always had 4 Kongos and 4 Myokos anyways. I mean I'd been missing out but I think that's a sound analysis.

Pretty much the same here...

Had all the ARP Kongos before I even thought about going up the IJN BB line.

My Atago commander wasn't doing jack, because I'd parked the ship; so I put him in Kawachi and went from there.

British..I bought the Warspite, british battleship, and with a storied history. But no other premiums why? Because Perth and Belfast lack what make the cruiser line so fun, and that's the super ap shells. 

Never noticed this... All I've seen is trashy garbage that can't hurt anything that isn't broadsie. Obviously yet another indication I can't figure out RN CLs....

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[RCNW3]
Members
1,943 posts
20,063 battles

Have found that I still grind the lines, but premiums do give options.  Have grinded the US BB line to Iowa, but not wanting to use free exp, found the stock ship so painful, sold and now saving free exp for Missouri.  Have Atago, just unlocked Zao, sold Ibuki since an Atago plays just like it.  Premiums have meant that I could sell ships to finance higher tier ones.  Why kept Chappy, when you have a MK?  So, premiums have not stopped in most cases the grind, but helped justify selling lower tier ships to finance higher tier ones. Have kept ships like Bismarck since there is not a premium equivalent ( Tirp and Bis very different).