You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Davai Okhotnik!

14 comments in this topic

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

Not that I am better than so-so with DDs but I purposefully read nothing about this DD before I got her, limiting myself to looking at some pics. I'm a sucker for uniqueness and this little boat has it in spades.

For the nonce I set her up with a 14-pt Captain.Radionov who was not impressed with being transferred over from his command on the Gnevny, yelling something like "For what I am given this [edited][edited] boat?'''. But with his talents gun range is up to over 11 km from 9.2 and detection range is down to 5.7 km. Off we go...

...and Radionov promptly loses 4 battles in a row. Very quickly sunk when spotted and then I realized part of the problem. One is used to thinking Russian DD = gunboat and clearly this is a gunboat as she bristles with 7 x 130mm of them. But she turns like a cruiser and is not terribly quick either. Forget about twisting and turning gunfights with other DDs, but sit in a cloud of smoke and you can hammer the daylights out of anything in range.

Others will do a better job analyzing that but I approached the next battle differently and managed to sink both a BB and a CV by ambushing deep from the flank in stealth mode. The battle was lost in any case but the result was impressive:

Uhotnik_zpsnh3dr2hc.jpg

The result speaks to the gunboat vs torpedo boat conundrum with this boat, at least for myself. The near full HP BB was sunk by torps while the CV was burned down and sunk by gunfire alone. This boat is either, depending on the situation.

One final note from Radionov who complained about my using the Heavy Seas mod causing his gunners on the rear deck to be up to their knees in brine working their guns. The poor wretches had to be roped to their guns to not be swept over the side. ;)

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles

Well for one, to stop your rear gunners from complaining, an extra vodka ration helps. A lot. Or a surprise visit from your local KGB (or FSB) office to instill a little "moral", or the fear of Stalin, into them.

The boat is a pain in the [edited]to play against when in another DD. You can be easily outcamped by the Okhotnik once your smoke runs out, and those torps, while maybe not deadly to DDs, can be a royal pain in the tush.

Good game man!

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

Well for one, to stop your rear gunners from complaining, an extra vodka ration helps. A lot. Or a surprise visit from your local KGB (or FSB) office to instill a little "moral", or the fear of Stalin, into them.

The boat is a pain in the [edited]to play against when in another DD. You can be easily outcamped by the Okhotnik once your smoke runs out, and those torps, while maybe not deadly to DDs, can be a royal pain in the tush.

Good game man!

Thanks. What an odd little duck she is and I do like a challenge.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,295 posts
22,110 battles

OK, just picked her up and I love her!  You play as a very fast cruiser (almost 40 knots with flags and boost) with fantastic stealth.  I charged a Nagato, planted 7 torps, and only lost about 1590 HP.  She is a fantastic ambush but boat.

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,126 battles

Another science fiction made up invented abortion from the Russain devs

been this way forever, will always be this way, and good for the game as it keeps money flowing and people interested.  Accept or move on, mate. 

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

Another science fiction made up invented abortion from the Russain devs

Apart from unnecessary bias you're quite wrong. The ship was launched in 1906 and sunk in 1917. A number of others in her class existed.

Members
1,344 posts
14,270 battles

Apart from unnecessary bias you're quite wrong. The ship was launched in 1906 and sunk in 1917. A number of others in her class existed.

Yes....A class of 650 ton torpedo boats...Not this invented monstrosity modelled apparently on one of Stalin's wet dreams. 

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

Yes....A class of 650 ton torpedo boats...Not this invented monstrosity modelled apparently on one of Stalin's wet dreams. 

In Russian it\s "torpedo boat first class", or "torpedo cruiser"... usually translated into English as "destroyer."

[CVA16]
Members
5,650 posts
17,422 battles

The name might apply to a real ship, but nothing resembling this chimera ever sailed the seas.

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

The name might apply to a real ship, but nothing resembling this chimera ever sailed the seas.

Ah well I'll enjoy it in any case, along with a plethora of ships that were not historically built as such. I don't have a problem with that.

Members
1,344 posts
14,270 battles

Ah well I'll enjoy it in any case, along with a plethora of ships that were not historically built as such. I don't have a problem with that.

70% of which are Russian.