You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
aethervox

OHOnik

12 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

How's the OHOnik? I heard Xmas came early this year.

Or is this just a St. Paddys joke (as in pad your stats)?

Or is it really 'Soviet Navy da best & don't forgetz this Comrade western degenerate zitizen'.

Members
322 posts
2,310 battles

It's great fun to play. I love the wacky aesthetics of this ship.

The guns pack a punch, making it perfect for hunting DD's. The torpedos hit hard too, but they only have a range of 4.5 km. Her detection range is ~6.5km without CE, ~5.7 with CE. Her gun range is ~9 km, ~11 km with AFT. Overall, to get the most out of this ship, you need to utilize her concealment. She is a Sam Fisher style sneaker/ambusher. As Centerstrain01 on Youtube would say be "nice and stealth-like".

Edit: As for the question of whether or not she's OP. It's too early to tell, but remember that this is a Tier V, which gets that god-awful matchmaking. If you're in a tier IV game, you'll be like a god, but tier VII games can be difficult for novice DD players. Atlantas and Belfasts can rip her to shreads and you can't hide from their radar.

Edited by Giantsgiants
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

I think it's OP inside of caps

Particularly because of 7x 130mm/55 guns that can deal a 4400dmg opening salvo against DDs, which is pretty devastating at that tier bracket.

And also because it has the 2nd best concealment in that tier bracket. Second only to Minekaze, Mutsuki, Isokaze, Kamikaze and Fujin, which are tied for 1st.

And if the reds get too close, it also has 12x 4.5km torps it can spit out and these torps have an insanely fast reload time.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,276 battles

It's insane fun, especially in co-op where bots drive right up to you, paws in the air, begging to be torped.

So far played once in Random, lost in collapse. First on my team in XP with... 24,000 damage and a shared cap. It was like Idaho out there....

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,054 posts
8,260 battles

It's an amazing DD, imho, I think it should be a T6 since it's quite op. :teethhappy: :P

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

Her detection range is ~6.5km without CE, ~5.7 with CE. Her gun range is ~9 km, ~11 km with AFT.

With a solid captain it'll probably be stupid OP tbh.... 5.7km conceal, with 12 torps and 7 guns.... Only need to close 2ish KM to be in torp range from detection, just make sure you close on the side of the BB where the guns aren't already pointed.

A tad sluggish at 35 kts, speed flag would help.

[GLF]
Members
1,041 posts
17,098 battles

The undetected first-strike ability of this boat is pretty amazing.   I think it was pointed out in a review as well, but when i surprised with a first volley and then landed another before they can turn their guns, most opposing dd's were disengaging almost immediately and running in smoke.  When you do between 5000-7000 damage on those first two strikes they get scared for some reason :trollface: 

In my case I made a mahan and a farragut run from me without even returning first.   Pretty humorous and giggle-worthy results in the first few games.   Love the boat and its a perfect fit for my izy captain.  

[PEED2]
Members
159 posts
10,046 battles

I jumped into my first game and tried to play it like a typical Russian gunboat, got absolutely wrecked! She is too long and just overall huge, and no way to pull off a lot of wiggling to make people miss. 10 second-ish gun reload is painful also. That being said, it is crushingly nasty when firing from smoke for the 77 second duration. It has crazy stealth, and I have done better just spottting at first, then smoking up and shooting and repeating that cycle kind of like a mini Belfast. Go to the torpedoes for ambushes around island corners or near end of game when enemy is wounded or has lots of distractions. Robotnik seems to take damage like a German DD also, I guess it is large enough to have AP not overpen? Still figuring it out, but it seems like a true one of a kind ship, having all guns and torpedoes centralized is so nice!

[GLF]
Members
1,041 posts
17,098 battles

The undetected first-strike ability of this boat is pretty amazing.   I think it was pointed out in a review as well, but when i surprised with a first volley and then landed another before they can turn their guns, most opposing dd's were disengaging almost immediately and running in smoke.  When you do between 5000-7000 damage on those first two strikes they get scared for some reason :trollface: 

In my case I made a mahan and a farragut run from me without even returning first.   Pretty humorous and giggle-worthy results in the first few games.   Love the boat and its a perfect fit for my izy captain.  

Lol, i got quoted on the main WoWS page with this post.   Terrible sentences and all. 

:medal:

[WOLF3]
Members
28,139 posts
24,488 battles

The initial strike of Okhotnik is very dangerous against DDs of its tier range because most DD turret traverse is actually pretty mediocre.  Mahan has terrible traverse.  Gnevny, Gremyaschy, Blyskawica, even Leningrad have terrible traverse.  This is compounded in the short range fight DDs get into.  And I only get into knife fights with Okhotnik.  The only one in Okhotnik's tier range with lightning traverse turrets?

Sims.

She has agility and turrets that spin like tops.

[GLF]
Members
1,041 posts
17,098 battles

The initial strike of Okhotnik is very dangerous against DDs of its tier range because most DD turret traverse is actually pretty mediocre.  Mahan has terrible traverse.  Gnevny, Gremyaschy, Blyskawica, even Leningrad have terrible traverse.  This is compounded in the short range fight DDs get into.  And I only get into knife fights with Okhotnik.  The only one in Okhotnik's tier range with lightning traverse turrets?

Sims.

She has agility and turrets that spin like tops.

You're right about the turrets.  In someone else's post I read (don't have the energy to track it down and give them credit) that many other dd drivers get so scurred after two massive volleys from okhotnik that they don't press on and attack even though they can run down and out-dpm you in the end.  Even so you'd have that sims thinking twice if you land two volleys.   Sims specifically may not matter since encountering sims in a game is pretty rare anyways, and ending up on the same side of the map with her is 50/50 at that.  

I've been wondering how I should use my last 3 captains points for okhotnik.  I use my 16pt izy captain on it and will soon have 19 with all the elite xp i have saved up.  (PS,LS,EM,BFT,AFT,CE).  Do I go for DE for the fire damage for izy, or take AR for the extra DPM as okhotnik takes damage?  Izy would certainly benefit too, but from which one more? 

Does IFHE work for okhotnik with the 130mm guns? 

Edited by AnimaL21

[WOLF3]
Members
28,139 posts
24,488 battles

You're right about the turrets.  In someone else's post I read (don't have the energy to track it down and give them credit) that many other dd drivers get so scurred after two massive volleys from okhotnik that they don't press on and attack even though they can run down and out-dpm you in the end.  Even so you'd have that sims thinking twice if you land two volleys.   Sims specifically may not matter since encountering sims in a game is pretty rare anyways, and ending up on the same side of the map with her is 50/50 at that.  

I've been wondering how I should use my last 3 captains points for okhotnik.  I use my 16pt izy captain on it and will soon have 19 with all the elite xp i have saved up.  (PS,LS,EM,BFT,AFT,CE).  Do I go for DE for the fire damage for izy, or take AR for the extra DPM as okhotnik takes damage?  Izy would certainly benefit too, but from which one more? 

Does IFHE work for okhotnik with the 130mm guns? 

IFHE is something that I have heavily considered for Okhotnik.  Currently I only have a 10pt captain on her.

PM / LS / BFT / CE

The guns are very important for Okhotnik not only for that initial salvo but for subsequent ones in quickly finishing the fight.  With IFHE I'd like to think this speeds up the process.  There's also the consideration that you can still stumble into those low tier CLs and her IFHE 130mm guns can do a number on them without having to switch shells.  My normal engagement ranges with her have been very short, against DDs only.  I normally keep my shells on HE due to DD Hunting.  All this is why I'd like to have IFHE for her.  My perfect world scenario for her is to have EM+IFHE to go with what I have already.

In addition, if I do have to engage BBs, it's primarily with torpedoes, so ignoring AFT was not a big deal for me.  It still lets me deal with BBs and still be more than enough against a DD.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway