Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Black_Jack_Honour

USS Indianapolis Event in Vallejo Ca April 4th and 5th

8 comments in this topic

[EBONR]
[EBONR]
WoWS Community Contributors
233 posts
9,906 battles

The Gang over at the Mare Island Brewery in Vallejo, Ca, have done some cool stuff in the past celebrating the history of Mare Island Naval Shipyard.

They launched a brew called "Survivor's Tale" in tribute to The Indianapolis, and had one of the Survivors speak at a couple events they put on.

Now, they have put together this:

"Mare Island Brewing Co. Presents: "USS Indianapolis: The Legacy" -- a movie by director Sara Vladic

Join us at Mare Island Museum for a special screening of "USS Indianapolis: The Legacy." This incredible documentary, filmed over 10 years and told by the survivors themselves, chronicles the amazing story of the USS Indianapolis and its fateful last journey after leaving its last port of call, Mare Island Naval Shipyard.  In attendance will be director Sara Vladic, family of those lost at sea, as well as support crew members and actual survivors.  Seating is limited, so we are having two showings:  April 4th and 5th.  Doors open at 6pm for a beer/wine cocktail hour, show starts at 7pm.  All net proceeds benefit the USS Indianapolis/Gwinn “Angel” Scholarship & Mare Island Museum."

If you're Bay Area, I'd recommend trying to make it. Apologies if the link doesn't work, the set up for posting via my phone is very odd to say the least.

I'll be at the April 5th showing, if anyone wants to meet up with my Semi Potato self.

sRJUTcR.jpg

http://www.mareislandbrewingco.com/Store

More info

http://issuu.com/mareislandnavalshipyard/docs/farragut_s_press_issue_25v3

Edited by Black_Jack_Honour
  • Cool 4

[ZIPPO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
155 posts
3,558 battles

That sounds interesting. I'm from the Galt area just below Sacramento.

• Cool 1

[EBONR]
[EBONR]
233 posts
9,906 battles

So, an update :-)

I went to the second screening which was yesterday, and I'm very glad I did! The documentary was very accurate, and mostly just straight up told in the words

of the survivors, which gave it quite an emotional impact for a subject that most naval history people at least know something of.

R58YqbGl.jpg

The screening took place in BLDG 46, the oldest building on the base, and originally the Smithery. The Museum isn't a clean sterile place, but still feels like

a Navy building. And you can easily envision someone coming around the corner as if they've stepped out of a time warp from World War II.

SeWVJFsl.jpg

If ever a place could have ghosts, its this one...

7bA4CGel.jpg

2zPIgp2l.jpg

Keel laying plaques line one wall.

8ucKcrPl.jpg

Kamize Damage, where the bomb the Kamikaze was carrying broke free and penetrated the aft deck.

The venue was of particular significance since The Indianapolis had been at Mare Island Navy Yard for repairs after a Kamikaze

strike off of Okinawa.

JSHP5qGl.jpg

A detail shot show the path of the bomb, and how it glanced off of a fuel oil pipe .

(Continued in next post as I don't want to hit image limit for the post)

[EBONR]
[EBONR]
233 posts
9,906 battles

iI2fsqSl.jpg

Also, Mare Island was the last stateside port she touched before heading off to the fateful events that lead to her legend.

ETKmwzFl.jpg

In attendance were Tony King ( Seated ) and Harold Bray, both survivors of the Indy. And I can say it was an impressive

experience to have the opportunity to shake both their hands, and get to talk to Harold at length. Something one never really

imagines ever getting the chance to do.

VvztTJvl.jpg

Ryan Gibbons, co-owner of the Mare Island Brewery and Tony King. Ryan, and the brewery helped make the whole event possible.

All net proceeds benefitted the USS Indianapolis/Gwinn “Angel” Scholarship Fund and the Mare Island Museum.

YtW5mcZl.jpg

At one point, Ryan got shuffled off with Tony and Harold, and came back out with this. He's done several events memorializing and preserving the

memory of the ship, and it's crew.

0f3s02il.jpg

JmMmZ8cl.jpg

Fantail of The USS Indianapolis at Mare Island on 12 November 1944.

All in all, an amazing night. Dedicated to amazing men, and their proud ship.

I took some video of the event, and will try to get it in semi presentable for in the near future.

Sign in to follow this