Joe__defender_destroyer

All Stop or Back Full? What's the difference ?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

11 posts in this topic

In all of the battles I played I always pull the throttle to BACK FULL the ALL STOP but is their a actual difference that will it slow me down quicker?

Last I heard, somebody tested it and there is no difference. I still slam it in reverse anyways because it makes me feel better. :teethhappy:

Now slamming the rudder hard over, that slows you down quick. 

As far as I'm aware, the speed of stopping doesn't change.

Logic and reality do not apply here, but shifting to full reverse should slow you faster than just stopping.

The props turning in reverse should have a significant impact to the forward motion.

B

Logic and reality do not apply here, but shifting to full reverse should slow you faster than just stopping.

The props turning in reverse should have a significant impact to the forward motion.

B

And actually - they could have engineered it so that too many such maneuvers could cause non-repairable damage to the ship's screws. 

Last I heard, somebody tested it and there is no difference. I still slam it in reverse anyways because it makes me feel better. :teethhappy:

Now slamming the rudder hard over, that slows you down quick. 

"Now slamming the rudder hard over, that slows you down quick."  Yes, THIS!!

Especially when getting smoke ready in UK cruisers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the real world all stop would simply have you coast to a stop, which takes quite awhile in a large ship, whereas the moving to back full actually starts the backward force which slows you a lot faster, although the boys down in the engine room don't much care for it when you go from flank to back full as it tends to blow the packing out of valves as well as cause numerous other mechanical failures.      With the invention of variable pitch props, You can actually change the propeller (screw) from a full ahead (flank) pitch to back full pitch without having to stop the current shaft rotation.   A DD sized ship can come to a full stop in roughly 2 ship lengths.   Everything not bolted down inside the ship ends up on the forward bulkhead (wall).  lol.   No idea how the game mechanics work with this though.

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

Posted (edited) · Report post

And actually - they could have engineered it so that too many such maneuvers could cause non-repairable damage to the ship's screws. 

The ship's screws would be ok, but you only get away with that maneuver in real life MAYBE once.   It is referred to as an Emergency Stop and is very very hard on the ship's propulsion system.   The engineering you speak of came in the form of Variable Pitch Props (screws) and were used on smaller ships so that they could actually change from forward to reverse without having to reverse the rotation of the shafts. Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

Here is the Fletcher executing a crash back.  From what I can tell they started at about the 1 minute mark and were making way in reverse about 30 seconds or so later.  I still took some time after that to start making any real progress in reverse as ships don't like to go backwards much.

Here is the Fletcher executing a crash back.  From what I can tell they started at about the 1 minute mark and were making way in reverse about 30 seconds or so later.  I still took some time after that to start making any real progress in reverse as ships don't like to go backwards much.

I watched it Great example thanks!