Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGreatBlasto

Sharing a Premium Ship's Captain with a Non-Premium Ship?

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

19 posts in this topic

What's the training deal in these situations?

My Tashkent lies in port collecting barnacles and rusting because she doesn't have a captain. I have been thinking about sharing the Gremy's captain with her. Since he's a premium captain I assumed he would not require training for the Tashkent.

When I assigned him to it last night I was asked if I wanted to start retraining him. wth? There was a number as well that appeared showing something like 0/30000 needed to be retrained.

So what is the training deal with sharing a Premium captain with a non-Premium ship?

Nota bene:  I understand how the reverse works when you send a tech tree captain to a Premium ship, so please do not explain that one. TIA

Indeed it would be great if only people who understand the question replied with an answer.  :rolleyes:

Assign a captain to Tashkent, transfer him to Gremy, and then you can transfer for free.

Assign a captain to Tashkent, transfer him to Gremy, and then you can transfer for free.

Like I said, I don't have a captain for the Tashkent. That's why I'm interested in sharing the Gremy's with it if it can be done without retraining costs.

Because his specialization is not to the non premium.

It's impossible to retrain a captain to a premium, but captains you receive with one come with specialization to that premium.

You don't get to place him freely on any ship you want for the first time, standard retraining rules apply.

Maybe if you had thought about your 'understanding' of how the reverse works, you could have figured this one out on your own.

The point is it is a waste to have a Capt specialized in the premium ship.  Assign him to your Trashcan, put him back in your premium.  Walla

The point is it is a waste to have a Capt specialized in the premium ship.  Assign him to your Trashcan, put him back in your premium.  Walla

That's why I asked about the retraining for the captain who came with my Gremy.

Will I have to pay to retrain him every single time I switch him back and forth between the Gremy and Trashcan.

Captains can go to prem ships with no issues. Assigned captains of prem ships cant go to regular ships with out retraining to use the skills.

Will I have to pay to retrain him every single time I switch him back and forth between the Gremy and Trashcan.

Nota bene:  I understand how the reverse works when you send a tech tree captain to a Premium ship, so please do not explain that one. TIA

Do you really understand? The first quote makes me think no.

No. You will have to retrain him to the Trashkan. But once you have retrained him, you'll be able to switch back and forth between Gremy and Trashkan without any other penalties or retraining.

That's why I asked about the retraining for the captain who came with my Gremy.

No, once you assign him to Tashkent and start the retraining, then you can immediately reassign him back to Gremyaschy and the XP you gain will go to work off his retraining.

Edit: Ninja'd again. Le sigh.  As SgtScully said above, at that point you can swap him around between those two ships as much as you like. 

One other minor point.  Pulicat said above: "It's impossible to retrain a captain to a premium"  This is actually not true.  You *can* retrain a captain to have his main assignment be to a premium ship.  I've actually done it once accidentally.  You do not *want* to do this, because as you've found out, once a captain is assigned directly to a premium, you have no "free swaps" except to other premium ships.

Edited by Battleship_Dunkerque

Like I said, I don't have a captain for the Tashkent. That's why I'm interested in sharing the Gremy's with it if it can be done without retraining costs.

It can't.

Premium ships can take any captain. Non premium ships can't. There is no such thing as a 'premium captain', just premium ships.

Once the Captain has been trained on the Tashkent you can swap the captain between Gremy and Tash until your hands fall off without having to retrain again. What you can also do is start retraining the captain on Tash, putting him back on Gremy and then play the Gremy until he is fully retrained. The Gremy will behave like the captain is retrained so you don't have any downsides (except that the XP goes to retraining, not for Captain leveling).

No. You will have to retrain him to the Trashkan. But once you have retrained him, you'll be able to switch back and forth between Gremy and Trashkan without any other penalties or retraining.

Thank you!

I hate wasting 500 doubloons.

Once the Captain has been trained on the Tashkent you can swap the captain between Gremy and Tash until your hands fall off without having to retrain again. What you can also do is start retraining the captain on Tash, putting him back on Gremy and then play the Gremy until he is fully retrained. The Gremy will behave like the captain is retrained so you don't have any downsides (except that the XP goes to retraining, not for Captain leveling).

Thank you.

Everyone seems confused on this until they have done it a few times.  Here is the deal: 

1) Captains are only "trained in" or "specialized" or "assigned" to a specific non-premium ship type.

2) Any Captain (if the right nationality) can command a premium ship.  It wount change the captains assignment since premiums ship types are not assigned.

3) If you have a captain on a premium who has never been on a non-premium.. it will have no specialization, just like a new captain.... therefore will require training to assign to a non-premium.

Here's another note for you: 

Say you stuff him in the Tk and now he requires retraining. You have a number of options. Number one is stick him back in the premium without retraining him to the premium - and grind off his retraining penalty. 

While in the premium he will function as if he is full strength, that is, as if he is not undergoing retraining. 

Number two is you can use coins, doubloons and even free commander points to wipe out that retraining charge. Just be sure you're doing it right before you do it because they don't issue refunds when you mess up. ;-) 

Here's what I do.

Recently, I got the Katori with a 5 point captain.  The captain is 'trained' for the Katori.  I have a shortage of trained IJN captains.  I am up to the Hiryu, but I recently started buying back all the CVs.

Steps:

1)  Buy back the Zuiho.  Set up modules/planes/upgrades/flag/type 1 camo

2) Move the Katori Captain to the Zuiho.  Retrain for the 200,000 credit option since he is under 9 points.

3) Set up 5 point captain training for a CV ==  TA, ERG, ASE

4) Move Zuiho Captain to the Ishizuchi -- free -- play a couple Random games with dragon flags -- He's trained.

5) Move captain back to Zuiho -- free -- DONE with Zuiho.

6) Move Mogami Captain to the Katori -- free -- and wreck tier 3 face.

7) Move Mogami Captain back to the Mogami -- free.

Got it?

Someone pointed this out and you acknowledged it, but in case someone else is not clear, as they said, there are no "Premium Captains." There are only normal captains whose specialization may just happen to be a Premium Ship.  The fact that the ship they are trained in is a Premium gives them no special privileges.

In other words, it is the ship, not the captain, that determines whether or not he needs training to sail the ship without penalty.  The Tashkent Captain can sail the Gremy without penalty and without needing to retrain because the Gremy is a Premium ship, and Premium ships waive the requirement that the captain has to be trained for them to sail them without penalty.

Conversely, the reason the Gremy-trained Captain cannot sail the Tashkent without training is that the Tashkent is not a Premium, which means it does not waive the requirement that the Captain be trained specifically for it.  The Gremy captain is just a captain trained for a different ship than the Tashkent, so he is treated like any other non-Tashkent trained captain.  He has to retrain.  The fact that he is trained for a Premium ship is irrelevant, no matter how snooty he gets.

Thus when a Gremy-trained Captain strolls confidently up to the Tashkent and they ask if he his trained to command the Tashkent, him replying in a condescending tone, "No, but I am trained for the Gremy," holds no more sway than him saying, "No, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night."  They are going to laugh at him and tell him to hit the books if he wants to understand the ship well enough to get the maximum performance out of the crew.

Conversely, when the Tashkent-trained Captain comes up to the Gremy (or any other Premium ship) and sheepishly says, "I am trained in the Tashkent, not this magnificent vessel," they will tell him, "No problem, we have labeled all the controls and our crew is very smart and will know what to do.  No need to do any training."

This is why it is usually pointless to train a Captain specifically for a Premium.  If you do, you limit him to being able to sail only that ship and other Premiums.  If, instead, you train him for a non-Premium, he can still sail all the premiums (of the same nation), but he can also sail the non-Premium he is specifically trained for.  True, it is only one more ship, but that is potentially one more daily bonus XP for a win.

Edited by Sotaudi

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0