You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BattlecruiserOperational

Skip Crapayev?

45 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,045 posts
4,700 battles

Title pretty much sums it up. I hated the Shchors, sold it once I unlocked the Crappy, and swore to myself I'd never buy the Crappy, and just skip it when I could. Now that I stopped grinding by Udaloi back though, because of the huge nerfs to the Grozevoi, I needed something new to grind. So I sold my Udaloi and bought the Crappy. Take her out for the first match and instantly regret my decision. Does she get at least playable with 2nd hull and range upgrade? This thing feels like it handles worse than my GK.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

If you don't like the Chappy, then don't continue down the line. She really sets the tone for the rest of them. 

Incidentally though, she's much better after getting the second hull and range upgrades. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

If you didn't enjoy Kirov, Budyonny, or Shchors, there's no reason to continue up the line.

The playstyle doesn't change much.

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

The Chappy is a fine ship and so is the Kutuzov--radar and smoke á la carte.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[RCNW3]
Members
1,943 posts
20,087 battles

Spectacular games when no one targets you, instantly deleted when shells come your way, feast or famine ships.  

• Cool 3

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

Spectacular games when no one targets you, instantly deleted when shells come your way, feast or famine ships.  

I like that. :)

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles

Either play at the 15 km range, look @ the PT icon and know know to start disengaging or go for the short range(under 10km) for DD hunting. Wait until you unlock the B hull before that. That's when radar is available.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[SYN]
Members
15,876 posts
12,803 battles

If you are going to skip chappy, you might as well skip donkey too.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
781 posts
12,739 battles

Wow, the Shchors and Chappy are both excellent ships.  If you're having difficulties you're definitely playing them wrong.  It's a cruiser, don't lead with it, or yolo into the red ships.  It won't end well.  Use HE at range, maybe some AP as you get closer and proper target angle.

[LEGIO]
Members
3,470 posts
8,179 battles

I hated Shchors since it seemed to explode every-time somebody looked at it funny, yet I love Chapayev. Somehow that slight difference in armor keeps me alive much longer. I haven't played the Tier 9 or Tier 10 Soviet cruisers yet but I presume they play a lot like Chapayev.

The B-hull with radar is very useful for Chapayev too. Destroyers don't seem to expect it and unloading 6" HE shells into a stationary destroyer is an absolutely delightful experience.

Members
866 posts
8,847 battles

Chapayev is one of the best cruisers in the game.  Unbelievable fire starter, awesome concealment, long range radar.  I loved every minute of Chapayev and would use her in a second.  

[RLGN]
Members
14,960 posts
26,494 battles

Wow, the Shchors and Chappy are both excellent ships.  If you're having difficulties you're definitely playing them wrong.  It's a cruiser, don't lead with it, or yolo into the red ships.  It won't end well.  Use HE at range, maybe some AP as you get closer and proper target angle.

Considering the elephant in a china-shop level of concealment, how exactly does one 'not play it wrong?' Kirov, Budyony, Molotov, there is no 'at long range looking like an unatractive target' unless you sit on the edge of the map sniping and collecting looks of hatered from your team.

Have had good games in those ships, and used a Christmas Kutuzov for Honorable Service, but can't stand any on them because if a seagull take a dump on one they blow up.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Beta Testers
1,045 posts
4,700 battles

the thing is, I played a lot of Kutuzov on my other account and love that ship. I'm guessing this ship will be more tolerable with the range upgrade. But right now, with no smoke and no radar this thing is utter garbage. May the lord keep me sane as I try to grind that xp I need!

edit: maybe I'm being too harsh on it. Below is my 4th game in her with a commander in retraining i.e. zero skills active.

l6oTce8.jpg

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I did lot better in chappy than donkey  (ok  just upgraded the hull, so may be it will be better)        I liked chappy.

Members
74 posts
10,172 battles

I skipped the chapevey cuz i have a kutuzov which is better in every possible way. The chappy gun range, large turning circle, massive citadel and lack of armor means it is free food for tier 10 BB, which it will see VERY often. I skipped it and have moskva now, zero regrets.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

meh,  I am struggling more with donskoi vs chapayev.    chapayev is very narrow and tough to hit at long range compared to donskoi.  If i get within 12km with donskoi,  I get deleted by BBs if you show even 20deg of side. I much prefer ibuki and Roon.   once it is fully upgraded, I will take it easy before grinding it to moskva. 

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

meh,  I am struggling more with donskoi vs chapayev.    chapayev is very narrow and tough to hit at long range compared to donskoi.  If i get within 12km with donskoi,  I get deleted by BBs if you show even 20deg of side. I much prefer ibuki and Roon.   once it is fully upgraded, I will take it easy before grinding it to moskva. 

As I said earlier I like the Chapayev. The Donskoi is another matter and I never could jive with her. Finally sold her on the weekend and got the Moskva which is a huge upgrade. I have her set up so that her main gun range is +22 km.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
781 posts
12,739 battles

Considering the elephant in a china-shop level of concealment, how exactly does one 'not play it wrong?' Kirov, Budyony, Molotov, there is no 'at long range looking like an unatractive target' unless you sit on the edge of the map sniping and collecting looks of hatered from your team.

Have had good games in those ships, and used a Christmas Kutuzov for Honorable Service, but can't stand any on them because if a seagull take a dump on one they blow up.

The OP's question was asking if he should skip the Chappy.  I couldn't see where you'd played either the Shchors or the Chappy, so not sure what you're even commenting on.
  • Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles

I'm very curious to know what they're going to do with Chapayev when they remove invisifire.

Look at the PT icon and go evasive when it lights up. That's what I've been doing and it's a habit developed from playing the Atlanta. You know it's time to stop firing and run when 6 ships have you in the scope. Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I didn't run much stealthfire in chappy  (rudder mod instead of concealment)  had no issue.   use cover and play smart.   68.5k average dmg  aint so bad after 100 matches for me including  stock grind.

[FFG31]
Beta Testers
504 posts
5,815 battles

I hated Shchors since it seemed to explode every-time somebody looked at it funny, yet I love Chapayev. Somehow that slight difference in armor keeps me alive much longer. I haven't played the Tier 9 or Tier 10 Soviet cruisers yet but I presume they play a lot like Chapayev.

The B-hull with radar is very useful for Chapayev too. Destroyers don't seem to expect it and unloading 6" HE shells into a stationary destroyer is an absolutely delightful experience.

i havent made it to the Moskva yet, but the DD plays much differently than Chappy.  Chapayev is one of the best DD hunter in the game. Donzkoi lacks the agility and reload to be really effective hunting DD's. My best matches with DD are as a support ship. 

Beta Testers
1,045 posts
4,700 battles

you know what's the worst thing? I got the DMD and I feel as if this ship is even weaker. I won't jump to conclusions just yet, but man I can't see what this thing is supposed to do. But back on topic, I didn't actually mind the Chappy after all. Great fire starter.

Beta Testers
621 posts
7,334 battles

The Donskoi played alot like Chappy too me, but Moskva is a complete about face that takes some getting used too. 

I also hated Schors. Ranked it below Pensacola even before it got its buffs. 

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

you know what's the worst thing? I got the DMD and I feel as if this ship is even weaker. I won't jump to conclusions just yet, but man I can't see what this thing is supposed to do. But back on topic, I didn't actually mind the Chappy after all. Great fire starter.

I did so poorly on the Donskoi I happily sold it and moved the captain to the Moskva when I got her--now that is a great tier X CA.