You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainKaitoGhost

53 battles, sub 40% win rate. Clearly I am doing something wrong.

43 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,664 posts
2,614 battles

It could just be the random nature of RNG, especially with such a small sample size, but I'm leaning towards me being the reason.  My stats are above average, so I'm definitely dealing damage, but likely at the wrong time/place.  Am I being too passive?  Maybe I'm not supporting my BBs enough?  Can someone help me "git gud"?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
13,676 posts

If you have some replays of a typical battle, post them and I'm sure many here can give some advice tailored to you specifically.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles

Lol, man, you're just starting, give yourself a break. :)

Learn to aim for the citadel on ships, it generally starts under the forward turrets and ends at the rear turrets, excepting DD's, which don't have citadels. Learn to angle your ships, it makes you harder to hit, and causes most hits you do take to do less damage, or ricochet off you. Learn to use your WASD keys like you would in an FPS. Speed reduction and sharp turns will avoid almost all torpedoes if timed correctly. It also causes fits in other players who have to constantly adjust their aim because you're acting like a Jack Russell on crack and won't sit still. Use the right ammo for the right situation: BB's generally need to use AP on everything but DD's, then it's HE, though a good AP salvo will insta-delete a  DD. Cruisers are where you need to really pay attention to ammo type usage. Know your ship: Know it's armor, penetration values, range, speed, etc, etc. This will in turn teach you how to defeat pretty much all ships as you progress through the trees, you'll have learned and played them all.

Remember, most players you come up against have a lot more time in game and experience with the ships than you do. What you have to learn is second nature to most. You'll need to think, and we just do.

Mostly, just relax and have fun. if you focus on winning and rating, especially so early, you'll actually do even worse, and will probably quit the game in stressed out rage. That's not good, and that's not what we want to happen to you. :)

[KSF]
Beta Testers
246 posts
11,556 battles

2 things before some troll arrives.

You are doing just above average in Dam and kills, but very low on win. Explains your just average WTR.

Now without seeing your play style it will be exceptionally difficult to help you in specific areas.

You do need to keep in mind 50 games is not that many and T5 gets horrible MM.

So, I'll give you the general gist for cruiser play at low tier. (since that is what yo are playing)

1)Target selection: Kill order DD's, CL/CA's,lastly BB's.

DD's can crush your BB's they need to be shot at no matter the range. Put rounds on them as long as they are alive and in range.

2)Your survivability looks good but never go broadside.

3) know when to use AP especially on other cruisers. you see a Cruiser turning out and might give you Broadside get AP ready.

4) Map Awareness and Tactical positioning.  Know what is happening on the other side of the map or huge gaps opening up. Do you need to take action (minimap enlarge it as big as u can)

5) Call out points or directions for team strats at the beginning. If you can get most people following a single plan better chances of winning (don't expect miracles)

6) support DD's early to gain caps (be careful you don't get caught over extending, BB's get faster and will show up faster at spawn than u might expect)

That should do for now

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

First of all, what ships are you playing? Looks like mostly US cruisers. I suggest instead of trying to go directly down a line you start wide and play multiple lines at tier 2/3 to get a better feel for how other ships perform. It will give you more experience fighting against those ships if you better understand their strengths and weaknesses.

• Cool 1

Members
2,709 posts
17,046 battles

I see you are playing the Omaha now. Not only is that one of the worst ships in the game, you might want to hold off on playing tier 5 for a while being so new to the game. Tier 5 sees a lot of T7 games, and in an Omaha, you just aren't going to be that much of a factor in the game.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles

First of all, what ships are you playing? Looks like mostly US cruisers. I suggest instead of trying to go directly down a line you start wide and play multiple lines at tier 2/3 to get a better feel for how other ships perform. It will give you more experience fighting against those ships if you better understand their strengths and weaknesses.

That's what I did, and am still doing. I'm up to T7 across all lines, T8 in I think 6 lines, to T9 in 2. One thing I've learned: There are some truly bad ships in the tech tree. :D

Members
2,680 posts
7,801 battles

Dont worry about your stats until you have 300+ games and understand the game mechanic well... I sucked my first 750 games or so, and it takes a while to learn and understand how to angle and aiming. It will get better, just don't be discouraged by such a small sample size.

[-AGW-]
Members
996 posts
14,723 battles

You are jumping tiers as fast as you can. For all that your stats are actually not that bad. I'd say stick with one boat - probably Phoenix - for at least a few dozen battles. Also you may want to shift your attention from defeating enemy ships to defeating the enemy team. Learn how to cap for points and how to support your team while doing damage. It will bring your WR up. 

Edited by NashW8

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,664 posts
2,614 battles

I see you are playing the Omaha now. Not only is that one of the worst ships in the game, you might want to hold off on playing tier 5 for a while being so new to the game. Tier 5 sees a lot of T7 games, and in an Omaha, you just aren't going to be that much of a factor in the game.

Fair enough.  I have been in a bit of a hurry to get the Cleveland.

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

The Cleveland isn't the ship it once was. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get there, particularly with the way the MM meta is today.

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

As others have said, you are doing really well for how few games you've played.  If you want to see bad, look up my Karlsruhe stats from my early career.  I dare you.  You can't unsee that.

But seriously, just to echo what others have said, I would play a bit, and maybe try multiple ship types, at tier 4 in particular.  The relationship between cruisers and BBs is somewhat inverted at tier 3 relative to what you will experience from roughly tiers 4-7, and tier 4 is not the shark tank that tier 5 can be with its bad MM, so it strikes me as the best place to perfect your gameplay some before you move up.

Edited by Lillehuntrix

Members
557 posts

One more way to 'git gud', tune to some Twitch.tv streamers such as Mejash or Flamuu. Watching them play, and listening to their analysis of their play will give a better understanding of the game, particularly map awareness.

Mejash is really chill, rank 1 players and has a chat server in Discord that everyone is welcome to join. You can division with other players which is a great help in learning and also winning.

Flamuu is a WoWs streamer from Finland, also a multiple season rank 1 players, who really knows this game and publishes youtube commentary videos on how to play many ships. Be warned, Flamuu is not everyone's cup of tea, he can be very salty.

Another youtuber for ships I like is Kenliero. I have learned a lot from both Flamuu and Kenliero's videos.

And you cannot really call yourself a War Sheeps player until you watch videos from ATSF. Trust me, you want to watch his video's.

Feel free to look me up in game, Zapp_Branigan

Good luck and fair seas!

[YIKES]
Members
3,880 posts
23,586 battles

Read one or two of LWM's guides. That'll help a lot.

Reviews*. A review about premium ship won't help OP with his struggles in Omaha.

Better enable replays and upload some games as already suggested. Also watch guides on youtube.

Edited by m373x
  • Cool 1

Members
3,284 posts

Reviews*. A review about premium ship won't help OP with his struggles in Omaha.

Better enable replays and upload some games as already suggested.

General knowledge though. There's a lot to be gained in that department from reading them. That, and I mean they are right there on the front page. They're very accessible. You don't even have to search.
Edited by anonym_OlK73e329bMY

Members
4,203 posts
8,877 battles

General knowledge though. There's a lot to be gained in that department from reading them. That, and I mean they are right there on the front page. They're very accessible. You don't even have to search.

Yup, Yup use this forum, go to YouTube you can find videos for how to play the Omaha. I was in a rush also when I started now I taking a lot slower, trying to learn the game more.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,599 posts

Too small a sample size.

I had a 20 game losing streak in my first 100 games. (Should have quit then) :amazed:

Until you hit 500 games, you shouldn't even bother to look at your winrate. And unless you're in the top 1% of the player base in skill, carrying a 12 on 12 in random is kind of tough.

Members
205 posts
12,761 battles

it's simple,  practice practice practice.  then with about 1500 to 2000 games u will say ahhhh i c.  but i'm still struggling with it

• Cool 1

[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,535 posts
14,001 battles

The Cleve has been surreptitiously nerfed due to the Whiner Syndrome in the name of 'balance'.  It was a proud ship once; no more.

[YIKES]
Members
3,880 posts
23,586 battles

The Cleve has been surreptitiously nerfed due to the Whiner Syndrome in the name of 'balance'.  It was a proud ship once; no more.

Still quite capable ship: good RoF, 12 guns, good AA, good HE, good AP. 

[-K_P-]
Members
545 posts
3,882 battles

Cleveland is a pretty good ship IMO. Easier skill floor, better to learn the game mechanichs in than the Ohama. IMO the Omaha can be more powerful for her tier once mastered

[WFR]
Members
81 posts
4,307 battles

I think I rushed to fast and didnt spend enough time learning the game before I went off and played in higher tiers.... I am paying for that still. I am a sub average player at times and just barley a 50% winrate..( its like a yo yo)  I would like to go back and play differently if I could start over.