You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mous1

there a reason to buy Tirpitz?

42 comments in this topic

[36]
Members
269 posts
5,034 battles

After a bit of thinking I noticed that Tirpitz is just really not too amazing any more.German BBS came out and Bismarck is just a better ship so just grind down German line and get bis

And when people propose a buff for Tirpitz in some way people gang up saying the "But she has torps" 

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE TORPS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN DO CONSISTANT DAMAGE WITH THEM

Edited by mous1

[ARMDA]
Members
9,003 posts
5,462 battles

Captain trainer. Better ship in some ways. And that history.

WG has no reason to buff Tirpitz. She already excells well.

[36]
Members
269 posts
5,034 battles

Captain trainer. Better ship in some ways. And that history.

WG has no reason to buff Tirpitz. She already excells well.

not compared to Bismarck. Or amagi

[--K--]
Members
5,392 posts
17,921 battles

Because you can wreck face with the Tirpitz and if any ship gets to close secondaries backed up with a spread of Torpedoes will take care of them. 

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Tirpitz is a solid ship that can do extremely well in a brawl. Bismarck has Secondaries and big guns, Tirpitz has Secondaries, big guns and Torps.

Tirpitz is not a bad ship

• Cool 2

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

I bought it to do ranked last season, its a fun ship the torps come in handy when players don't look who you are and a Camo change helps with the ... what the ...you'd be surprised how many get caught

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,352 battles

I've played 600 games in it. Well worth it as a captain trainer.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles

After a bit of thinking I noticed that Tirpitz is just really not too amazing any more.German BBS came out and Bismarck is just a better ship so just grind down German line and get bis

And when people propose a buff for Tirpitz in some way people gang up saying the "But she has torps" 

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE TORPS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN DO CONSISTANT DAMAGE WITH THEM

I'll be blunt.  The saving grace for Tirpitz are her torpedoes.  Someone has to be retarded to get in torpedo range of her, or have made a colossal mistake.  But most enough players at Tier VIII+ know better, so it's not surprising that I rarely used her torpedoes.  But they are there and they put fear into other BBs.

Other than torpedoes, most other things Tirpitz can do, Bismarck can do just as well or better.  The difference in a match is that Bismarck's 10.6km secondaries are easier to put into use and you don't need to get into point blank range to use them, unlike Tirpitz's torpedoes.  You'll get far more mileage out of Bismarck's secondaries.  There's also another discouraging fact that Tirpitz now has the shortest ranged secondary battery at Tier VIII BBs.  NC's used to be worse, but that was changed around middle 2016.

There's also the fact Bismarck has Hydro, something Tirpitz lacks.

What does Tirpitz have going for her compared to Bismarck?

- Torps

- Premium Ship benefits (freely swap captains, etc)

That's about it.

Edit:  Some other things to add regarding Tirpitz and Bismarck and this is coming from someone that owns both (I got Tirpitz when she was originally released in 2015).  It's how the ships are built up.  Bismarck players are essentially compelled to go Secondaries Build, even hardcore Manual Secondaries Build.  Why shouldn't they?  It's a unique ability at Tier VIII with 10.6km secondaries and very powerful.  There's a joke that her secondaries are her main battery while the 15" guns are secondaries.

In that light, while Tirpitz can be built into respectable Secondaries Build, it's never, EVER going to rival Bismarck in that realm.  So while Bismarck players are almost all Secondaries Build, you're not really forced to do that.  You can go Main Battery Build with ASM1 upgrade and tighten up that dispersion.  Or you can go for survival in the traits on top of that Main Battery Build.

Of course, the caveat of Tirpitz doing that, Bismarck can do the same thing.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
161 posts
3,936 battles

My builds for Tirpitz:

Upgrades in main gun build (ASM)

Captain skills (core):

Adrenaline Rush / Expert Marksman (optional)

Fire Prevention + Basics of Survivability

Concealment Expert

Of course, when facing air raids, helpless as historical.

Members
300 posts
6,969 battles

I mainly buy ships to train captain's.So to get your money's worth don't buy a ship if you have already completed that country line.

Edited by Robinhood_

[O_O]
Members
6,771 posts
16,218 battles

Maybe that is a good thing.  If it was better than those two people would be screaming P2W even louder.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles

Maybe that is a good thing.  If it was better than those two people would be screaming P2W even louder.

People don't complain about ships that are bottom feeders.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

It does if you use them right. Tirp isn't a max range torp machine. Tirp is a bully your way right up to the enemy and finish them off with a torp dagger in the face. 

Tirp and Yamato are the ships I've cleared 200,000 damage with. Tirp is better than Bismarck unless you /need/ godly secondaries to compete. 

Members
3,679 posts
8,111 battles

Because it's the only tier 8 premium that you can sail in a straight line all the time and face roll the keyboard and expect not to die in the first 3 minutes.

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Lol, another person who thinks a premium ship isn't worth buying if it isn't vastly superior to its tech tree counterparts. This is why we keep getting ships like the Belfast that mess up the game balance. 

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles

Lol, another person who thinks a premium ship isn't worth buying if it isn't vastly superior to its tech tree counterparts. This is why we keep getting ships like the Belfast that mess up the game balance. 

It is a fair thing to think about though.

Why spend money on a ship of less value than one you can get for free at the same tier?

Sure, some guys will snap up everything.  But there's a number out there that will spend but have to do so wisely.

Members
84 posts
2,143 battles

*She's a good credit earner.

*She's a good captain trainer.

*Same gun handling as Bismark so easy to move back and forth.

*Only BB with Torps at Tier VIII so "unique" gameplay.

Prior to the Bismark, she saw a lot of play because of how good she was.  Bismark is more consistent because of the absurd secondaries, but Tirpitz is hardly "bad.". She still competes well with the Amagi and NC.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

It is a fair thing to think about though.

Why spend money on a ship of less value than one you can get for free at the same tier?

Sure, some guys will snap up everything.  But there's a number out there that will spend but have to do so wisely.

From the way I see it, premiums should primarily be for grinding credits and XP, and training captains. They should also be interesting in terms of their history or have unique gameplay, like the Graf Spee and Atlanta. Making money is important, but WG doesn't necessarily have to make their premiums overpowered to make a profit off them. 

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

Can you increase her secondary twice?   (4.7 km * 1.2) * 1.2?

This looks doable with the Secondary Battery Mod 2 and Advanced Fire Training.  That would take them up to 7. Not great but better than stock.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles

Can you increase her secondary twice?   (4.7 km * 1.2) * 1.2?

This looks doable with the Secondary Battery Mod 2 and Advanced Fire Training.  That would take them up to 7. Not great but better than stock.

With SBM2, AFT, and proper signal flag, Tirpitz only reaches out to 6.8km.  Even Tier VII BBs have longer range secondaries, much less 10.6km of Bismarck, FDG, GK, Yamato.

[SIM]
Members
5,413 posts
8,907 battles

No, there is no reason to buy a Tirpitz over grinding out a Bismarck or buying a Scharnhorst. The Tirpitz is an uncomfortable ship with a mediocre gimmick that no one falls for anymore. The Bismarck is a better ship than the Tirpitz in general, and the Scharnhorst is comparably better at Tier VII than the Tirpitz is at Tier VIII. The Christmas mission to get the 100% bonus free XP camo for the Tirpitz was its saving grace. Without that camo, I wouldn't recommend the ship to anyone. 

Members
119 posts
2,622 battles

Only as a captain trainer or for collecting purposes. Otherwise, there are more effective premiums.

[KIA-C]
Members
263 posts
3,866 battles

First off in my opinion NC is the best T8 BB :P (I know many people think otherwise). Secondly, Tirpitz has the great german armor. And those torps allow her to do much better than Bismarck in a close range brawl, like MUCH better. I personally like Tirpitz and outfitted her to be better at Main battery gunnery (which I quite like). She isn't that bad in my opinion for the reasons above, its just how you use her.