You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ckupf

Ckupf’s Ranked Post-Mortem

7 comments in this topic

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Some thoughts on the meta and grind of Season 6 in comparison to other seasons. I might humblebrag or outright brag at a couple junctures, apologies for this, I am a solid player, I am not an amazing player, but the things I do that are good stick well in my memory. With that said here are my thoughts on ranked season 6, the grind, and the meta, with some background on prior seasons.

Season 6 of Ranked was my fourth full ranked season. That is, the fourth time I actually dove in and got rank 1. I go into every season with the goal to finish under 200, and 150 if possible. My rule that I came up with before my first quest for Rank 1 in season 3 is the following: at 300 games I would evaluate if I want to continue, at 400, I would stop if I was not within striking distance, at 500 I would hard stop, even if I were a win from rank 1. I have never hit 300 battles.

Previous season notes:

I played 107 battles in the pilot season of ranked to the tune of 51.4% and made minimal progress, in the second season I went from 5-1 and then forgot about it.

Season 3 was the first time I felt confident enough in my own abilities to do the grind, ranked was a bit easier back then, you could truly fail to rank 1 (not that I did). My stats were on the surface unimpressive as I played the Blysk in a season dominated by Bensons. But anti-DD cruisers were not ubiquitous so I spent a lot of my time fighting Bensons at mid-range and stealth firing on BBs. The meta was such that the Blysk was effective as any T8, in my hands anyway.

I finished 67-42, that’s 61.5% in 109 battles, my fastest season ever, despite having a k/d of exactly 1. How? I capped like crazy, any battle I didn’t have two caps and a couple defenses was disappointing. This season was easier too, I was just +25 in wins despite the fact that you didn’t keep a star for losing back then (instead you would get bonus stars every time you moved up a rank, even if you had been there before).

Season 4 was the season that I have often referred to as the hell season. You needed more wins than any other season to reach rank 1, I believe you needed +58 between wins and first placed losses to reach rank 1 from the starting point. My Blysk was set up to be even better in this season, but in the early on I got frustrated with the meta which was too smoke heavy, and which resulted in some frustrating losses and broke out some other ships. The Atlanta when I noticed CVs in queue was somewhat effective, despite the fact it didn’t have RADAR at the time. I caused some serious CV salt in those few battles. My beloved Colly was less effective and probably hurt me, 90 battles in it with sub-50% win rate. I just about broke even with the Sims figuring the more powerful smoke would be useful. But after 150 battles between those three ships (and 1 Shchors win before I unlocked the Chappie) I switched back to Blysk and had the success I had been looking for.

At 295 battles this was by far my longest season. I finished with a meh 54.9% win rate 162-135, meaning I had 31 first place losses, a solid but not excellent rate of 23%. I won 61.2% of my Blysk battles, begging the question: Why didn’t I just stick with it? I dunno, maybe I was just tired and frustrated. This season was the worst season if you ask a lot of players. It was the only season I didn’t really enjoy.

Season 5 might have been my favorite season. The season was less smoke heavy, even with the introduction of the Edinburgh during the season. I mainly used my Atago, with some Bismarck action after I got the manual secondaries perk during the second half of the season. The Atago performed brilliantly, she is one of my favorite cruisers. I posted my first ranked Kraken during this season and twice took my team back from down two ships to one. I posted a 184k damage masterpiece.

I finished the season 88-60, a 59.5% win rate, and since I needed to be +46 that means I got 18 first place losses, or 30% of my losses I led the team. Similar win rates in my two ships, 124 Atago battles versus 24 Bismarck battles. I averaged 68k damage which is pretty damned good if you ask me. The Atago became one of my most beloved ships thanks to this season, I had only just gotten it before the season started.

This was also the first season I made a ship choice guide for.

Now finally we get to Season 6.

Season 6 had the most blowouts of any season I remember, the quality of play was good enough that 9/10 it felt like the first ship to have a significant advantage won, often in dominant fashion, there were dozens of battles where the winning team lost fewer than two ships. Very few battles came down to the wire, and I only once saw a team come back from 3 ships down. And that was after an enemy BB scored a couple lucky citadels and I witnessed an allied Scharnhorst hide behind an island for 5 minutes doing nothing. This season featured more idiocy than I recalled in the previous seasons, not sure why. For a great microcosm of that idiocy here is one of the dumbest battles of the season.

I intended to primarily play the Blysk and back it up with my Belfast, I ended up doing the reverse after a bad start with the Blysk. The problem with my Belfast was that it was not set up for ranked. My Belfast uses my Minotaur captain, which meant no DE or IFHE. BFT and AFT were nearly useless in ranked, although I did win most of the battles which included CVs, once shooting down 26 Hiryu planes, and in another battle 21 Saipan planes.

I made the initial switch from Blysk to Belfast after starting out 6-8 (with four first place losses) in the Blysk, my first day with the Belfast I went 5-3, with all 3 losses being first place. I felt that the Blysk would be outclassed by the Shiratsuyu this season, an absurd ship with excellent concealment and the ability to drop 16 fish in 6 seconds. Even after I switched the season just couldn’t get off the ground, through 51 games I was 23-28 with 11 first place losses. It was borderline absurd. I soon it my groove over my next 51 I would get the Belfast working a bit better.

Despite finishing in a reasonable 207 battles I didn’t have the best time. There were a lot of frustrating losses where I played well, but I just couldn’t get my teams to work together well enough. The Belfast is a great, and maybe even overpowered, ship. But it can’t consistently carry. It is just too damned soft. I should have gotten out of it sooner and switched back to the Blysk, but the power of Radar in the season meant that I didn’t want to risk being on a team without Radar. That mean I had to play the Belfast. During that good stretch in the Belfast I went 33-18 with 8 first place losses, this brought me to the Premier League. Then the Belfast stuttered, after getting to rank 3 I immediately fell back to rank 4 and had a day where I tried to powergrind ranked and ended up exactly where I started after 34 battles. It was perhaps my worst extended day of ships ever.

After that day I switched back to primarily using my beloved Blyskawica. My most-played ship which hit 1.6M elite XP on the battle that took me to rank 1. In the Blysk I stayed at the edge of radar range shimmied like crazy, I gunned at DDs and turned out to avoid torps. I burned cruisers and BBs till they cursed at me in chat. As long as I didn’t get torped or pinned by a British cruiser I would perform well. And so after being 11-14 through my first 25 Blysk games I went 16-8 and finished first place in 4 of those 8 losses to go +12 and finally get to rank 1. On the final day I went 8-3 in the Blysk (I also had 1 loss in the Belfast) +5 overall and easily got from rank 2 to rank 1 after the almost 100 game slog from rank 4 to rank 2.

Honestly it felt like a lot more than 207 battles, partially because of my low win percentage. I finished with a 53.6% win rate, 111-96. That means that I was just +15 on wins, meaning I got 31 first place losses, one short of a third of my losses. I don’t know what that says about me, a lot of those battles I wasn’t the guy spamming until the end to amass XP, I killed a couple DDs early and got killed and my teams would just not take advantage and open the door, and this season, when the door was open, the battle would usually end.

I did put up a ranked Kraken, and somehow ended the season with NINE ram kills, most of them BBs, including a Gneisenau who had 40k when I had 40 hp (I ran die-hard flags which allowed me to get the kills). I guess that says something about my aggressive style of play. I like the Belfast but it’s not my best ship. I should have realized that earlier. I got a lot more kills and damage in the Belfast, but again I don’t need to get kills to make the Blysk work. I just win in that thing.

This season relied so heavily on radar and smoke that there were times battles were basically over when they started. Certain ships performed drastically better in ranked. For the second consecutive season I made a post on this.

I played the Belfast because it is a great ship in ranked. Its strengths lie not in its armor or overwhelming fire power, but in its consumables. And as we know that using your consumables well is everything in ranked. Smoke and Radar are incredibly important, hydro is useful too. The Belfast can use these to neutralize enemy DDs as well as (and I cannot emphasize this enough) other Belfasts and Fijis. The ship that is most effective at dealing with a Belfast is a Belfast. One on one it can burn down BBs, gun down cruisers from inside and outside smoke, and hunt DDs. But a Belfast opens up an enemy Belfast to the very weaknesses it exploits on other ships. Even if I was rarely sunk by another Belfast they often had a hand in my demise and vice versa. But my build prevented me from maximizing the power of the Belfast and the ship is not compatible with my aggressive style of play (my low survival rate combined with my high win rate demonstrate my aggressiveness, and my effectiveness with this playstyle). I got caught out a few too many times, ate a couple too many torps as I was trying to get last licks in before jetting off, ran out of hydro at inconvenient times way too often. I did fine, but not the exceptional performance I had hoped I would get out of a ship I usually enjoy.

What I should have realized earlier was that I was making the same mistake I made in season four. I let a couple bad games in the Blysk convince me that success lay elsewhere.

This seasons rewards for Ranked sucked. Seriously WG, they were immensely disappointing. In previous seasons there have been 5-11M credits, 3500 doubloons, and hundreds of flags. This season there was 1M credits, 2750 doubloons and no more than 40 of any flag. Instead we got the crap upgrades that are honestly useless. I haven’t found a sensible location for any of them. What’s even worse is that I’ve now gotten these useless rewards from “supercontainers” that were not so super. IF it weren’t for the fact that I’m one season from the Black, I, a player who loves competitive play and ranked more than anything else in this game, might have passed. Rewards breed competition. The lack of rewards made ranked feel less competitive this season.

A little bit of useful ranked math, not for the faint of heart. A couple side notes about the number of battle it takes to get to rank 1 from where a previous rank 1 starts, 46 stars short. Ignoring the irrevocable ranks you therefore need to go +46 to get to rank 1. A 100% average player (which won’t exist because what is average at rank 10 is not average at rank 2) will advance 1 star every 14 battles (7 wins, 7 losses with 1 loss in first place) and get to rank 1 in 14*46 battles, or 644 battles. If it were up to me no player would be allowed more than 14*(required stars) to reach Rank 1 to cull players failing to rank 1. To figure out your approximate time to rank 1 figure out how many battles it takes to progress a star by calculating your win percentage and first place in a loss percentage. If the total is higher than you are willing to play, you might want to think about a stopgap or end date. Thus a player who wins 48% of battles but finishes first in 25% of his losses will make 2 stars every 25 battles and make it to rank 1 in 575 battles, faster than our average player. The hard 500 rule I have is born out of a goal that I should be making at least 1 star every ten battles and finish in under 500. I made one star every 4.5 battles this season, a solid rate. But compared to last season it was disappointing. A 60% win rate with 30% of your losses being first on the team takes only 3.2 battles to progress a rank, this works out to 143 battles, or approximately what I did in season 5. Season four took me so long partially because of the more stars required, but also because of my lower rate of keeping a star, a sign that I wasn’t playing as well, even if I did win a little more often. Meanwhile if I had my 23% keep star rate in losses from that season I might still be playing now. With the same win rate I would be expected to take 5.6 to advance a star roughly instead of my actual 4.5 due to just a 7 point decrease in my keep star rate. 5.6 means another roughly 50 battles and all of a sudden I’m taking over 250 battles instead of the just over 200 I took.

Don’t be afraid to call it quits on ranked if it’s not working. Don’t be ashamed to not be good enough to get to rank 1 in a reasonable amount of time, learn from the experience, improve and give it a shot the next season. I never call out bad play at low tiers, I do call it out in ranked, players are there to win.

Anyway I just wanted to get my thoughts out on this season’s play. Next season will presumably be T8s, which honestly is more balanced. There are four very viable cruisers, only one of which carries radar. All of the BBs are viable too. Although by then this game might just be Russian ships because, as we all know the stronk Soviet navy won WW2. I hope you enjoyed the read and good hunting.

• Cool 4

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Holy crap, how is this so long? I wrote this on an hour long train ride and spent another 20 minutes editing and putting links in...

[FAE]
Members
2,616 posts
3,631 battles

My dreams of having an OP Black are getting slimmer and slimmer. 

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,299 battles

Excellent write up. I got within 1 game of R4 twice, then fell back, the second time to R6. After that I quit. Not worth the aggravation. Ranked was making me hate WOWs. I had originally planned to Rank out, too. But I potato'd too often.

I concur with your evaluation, the battles were awful this year. Most games were collapses and once one side got down two ships, it was over. Of 200+ games precisely once did my team come back from being down 4 ships. I think only a handful of games came down to the wire. It was almost never any fun. Contrast with season 5 which had ships of T6 and T8, with plenty of variety.

The rewards were also an issue for me. The super-consummables are ridiculous, especially since they don't slot them in where they belong -- why doesn't the super spotting plane go in the spotting plane slot? That's like giving someone a sashimi knife and then telling them they can only use it to eat cereal. Those consummables were a disincentive, actually, an insult. I struggled all the way here and you gave me... a spotter plane?

Other issues

-- there needs to be a minimum experience criterion. Something like 1500 games experience and at least 3 T10 ships. If WG played its cards right it could increase the in-game rewards for Ranked, which would encourage people to stick with the game and collect enough ships and experience to play Ranked. But it is the opposite: any damn fool can bring his only T7, a Pensa, to Ranked or purchase a premium and jump right in.

-- the lack of map variation was inexcusable. Always the same few maps with the same few caps in the same locations, so dull. In Season 4 Strait had three-cap domination with the caps arranged diagonally, that was different and fun. The lack of different maps made alternative strategies pointless and increased the boredom. 

-- the smoke/radar meta ruined Ranked. Totally gutted the playing experience. You could pass minutes without seeing a single ship, totally not fun. Each game was basically blind people attempting to kill each other by swinging clubs around a room filled with oddly located furniture. Even more unacceptable was that to get access to radar you had to purchase a premium, giving Ranked the sour taste of play to win. I grew to hate Belfasts passionately, the epitome of everything that is wrong with WG's recent decisions about the meta. Every match without a Belfast was 200% better, and people often made remarks after they saw the MM: "Thank god, no Belfast."

At present I don't plan to play next season. I might change my mind if the rewards are serious, but it's not worth the aggravation.

[GGWP]
[GGWP]
Members
1,628 posts
10,852 battles

This is my first time seriously playing ranked. I started at 18, made it to 10 super easy. Struggled to get to R8, changed my playstyle and cruised to R5. Did ok getting to R3, then R2, the R2.4, then all they way back to R3.0. I played 4 games at 2.4, lost 3 of 4, won one, saved my star 2 times, then loss streak back to 3.0. That was the hardest part for me, being so close. I have had some close games, but your right, most games are blowouts. Its really frustrating with all the smoke camping, and non-capping. DD's are afraid to cap because or radar, so they don't, they just camp in smoke. People really don't understand how much pressure getting and holding a cap puts on the other team. You go up in points and just chill, let the other team come to you, but no, people dont cap, and throw the hell out of games. My team has thrown leads away so many times.

I'm not done this season yet but its wearing thin.

Also, good points / observations about the ranked meta. I really disliked the meta this season, not much fun at all.

Edited by Kevs02Accord

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles

This seasons rewards for Ranked sucked. Seriously WG, they were immensely disappointing. In previous seasons there have been 5-11M credits, 3500 doubloons, and hundreds of flags. This season there was 1M credits, 2750 doubloons and no more than 40 of any flag. Instead we got the crap upgrades that are honestly useless. I haven’t found a sensible location for any of them. What’s even worse is that I’ve now gotten these useless rewards from “supercontainers” that were not so super. IF it weren’t for the fact that I’m one season from the Black, I, a player who loves competitive play and ranked more than anything else in this game, might have passed. Rewards breed competition. The lack of rewards made ranked feel less competitive this season.

This was the most off-putting for me- I never pushed past level 10 before since that was the limit of my patience. Looking at the rewards for 10-5 I was surprised there was nothing at all remarkable except for those (now I know) [edited]modules. Oh and a red flag I wouldn't use anyway.

But for some reason I thought those special modules applied to the pertinent consumable... You would gain that "special feature" for your ships and when you used the consumable then it would add that capability. Then I learn they're actual modules that replace useful ones? [edited]that nonsense. Brutal. My own fault for not doing proper research before I wasted my time. That 6 looks nice next to my name after games and everything but...

I could scour the interwebs and NEVER find anyone ask for that trash. And if it was ever asked for it wasn't applicable in the format they chose. On top of it they dump those crapmodules in Super Containers like there is anything remarkable about them at all.  Worse than flooding flags other than the fact that they're worth 625k credits. Dump that on top of the other 130 million. 

I was pretty excited about SC when they were first introduced and they were really and truly super. Same thing with the rank rewards through the 2-10 tiers. Now it's well and truly meh.