You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Adm_Nate_Ellis937

PSA: When Hard Times Strike....

38 comments in this topic

[AARG]
Beta Testers
1,200 posts

I'll keep this short, but being part of this community has been great....supportive players, awesome Contributors (Lert, LWM), and staff (NikoPower). Playing this game has been fun since I joined back in the early CBT days. However, life has changed for me last week.....after being moderately deaf in both ears and wearing hearing aids my whole life, my left ear just quit....i couldn't hear anything since then except for high pitched frequencies (whistle). My only hope in getting my hearing back is a cochlear implant, which takes 3-5 hours to surgically insert. I have a large support group of loved ones in my life that are rooting for me that I can be a successful candidate for this surgery. All that matters to me is:

"Hear life again, and smile in response." 

I start candidacy testing on April 5th, so I may not even be on this summer due to the surgery then the intensive speech therapy sessions and rehab. I hope you all will understand.

PS: Vertigo is a nightmare

• Cool 17

[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

We can swap names if you'd like :v

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,232 posts
21,634 battles

Good luck in life.

I hope you end up with a successful operation...

[FEM]
Beta Testers
3,275 posts
740 battles

We're here for you sir. Take it easy. I'm hopeful that everything comes out aces. If you aren't able to play all summer as you said, don't worry, the WoWS staff will miss you until you come back. :)

[F-U]
Members
240 posts
3,456 battles

Fingers crossed for you. For what it's worth, I used to have to share my 'office' space with my den where my fiance nests every night to watch bad reality TV until recently. As a result I have played about 98% of my matches with audio turned completely off and have come out alright :)

Members
909 posts

I'll keep this short, but being part of this community has been great....supportive players, awesome Contributors (Lert, LWM), and staff (NikoPower). Playing this game has been fun since I joined back in the early CBT days. However, life has changed for me last week.....after being moderately deaf in both ears and wearing hearing aids my whole life, my left ear just quit....i couldn't hear anything since then except for high pitched frequencies (whistle). My only hope in getting my hearing back is a cochlear implant, which takes 3-5 hours to surgically insert. I have a large support group of loved ones in my life that are rooting for me that I can be a successful candidate for this surgery. All that matters to me is:

I start candidacy testing on April 5th, so I may not even be on this summer due to the surgery then the intensive speech therapy sessions and rehab. I hope you all will understand.

I hear ya, Admiral Nate. I've had prostheses replacing the bones in both ears for most of my life, with corresponding hearing loss. Unfortunately, I'm NOT a candidate for implants. Recently one of the prothesis parts punched a hole through the membrane into my inner ear. Fortunately it healed after about 18 months, but during that time, droplets of fluid would leak out at random intervals.

Every time that happened, pressure would fluctuate in my inner ear and make if feel like someone picked up one side of the room and then dropped it. If I was lying down, it felt like someone just gave the bed a spin. If I was walking I'd veer off to the left regardless of obstacles or hazards in that direction. Or I'd just randomly fall over.

Best of luck with the surgery!

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,168 posts

All the best to you sir.

The Community will take your absence as well deserved shore leave, but know we expect you back at the helm PDQ Captain! :honoring:

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Good luck and I hope it all goes out well. Stay strong and never give up!

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles

Good luck!

Nerve/Cilia damage in both, moderate loss of hearing, but the constant 24/7 cacophony of multiple frequencies going incessantly and simultaneously is the worst part (ringing, humming, roaring, hissing); however, all is good because I am pretty sure someone completely deaf would love to have my hearing . . . so I don't pay it much mind. Hoping all goes well, and keeping my fingers crossed for you.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Good luck mate! I've had surgery on both shoulders so I know how much it sucks to not be able to play your fav games due to recovering. I'll be routing for you and keeping you in my thoughts for a speedy and pain free (or mostly pain free anyway) recovery! :)

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,308 battles

My mom actually went through that. I'm not going to lie, it was and still is a long and involved process. 

However, it's well worth it to her, being able to hear that which she couldn't before. 

Just take your time, get everything you need done. We'll all still be here in the end. :)

[-KIA-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Volunteer Moderator, Clan Supertest Coordinator, Privateers
6,514 posts
8,485 battles

My Teacher got a Cochlear implant a couple years ago and from the moment she came back you could tell her life turned for the better.

Bye for now, see you when you get back :honoring: