You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Phoenix_jz

Moving on to Gneisenau

14 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

Well, I'm nearly down grinding through Bayern, only got a few thousand XP till my Gneisenau.

It seems like a fairly radical change, what with the torpedoes, less (but also more powerful) guns, the better speed...

So, what exactly should I expect from my tier VII BB, what are the do's and don't's versus Bayern?

How much does my KM BB playstyle have to change?

Thanks!

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,862 posts
16,492 battles

3 things

1: your'e much faster but have less armor:unsure:

2: you get torpedoes!:great:

3: your guns still wont be able to hit the inside of a barn 80% of the time due to RU anti German Bais/RNG!:(

Edited by BladedPheonix

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,800 posts
5,052 battles

Well, you realize very quickly that your guns can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside at range. Second get the engine upgraded stat to get that sweet second to Iowa speed. Third hull upgrade as the range isn't necessary and it gives you rudder and the awesome 128mm Hermelin guns.

Then pretty much she's a Scharnhorst with bigger harder hitting guns, though slower turning and reloading (26s). Of course you're upgrading from the heavily armored Bayern to the most heavily armored ship in the game alongside Scharn. 

To the point: she loves getting into that 6km and under range where her secondaries (Fully specced can get to 7.6km), torps, and main guns all become leathal.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,601 posts

While I agree that the guns dispersion can be trollish at times, I've had good luck punching cruisers at 18k, 3 cits and an overpen out of 6 shells seems ok to me.

But like all the RNG in this game, it can go south in a hurry.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,191 posts
14,756 battles

RNG with only six guns can be painful at times but it is actually reasonably accurate even at extreme range. My experience was if I had the lead correct that I would get at least one hit from a full broadside, 16%, even at long range most of the time.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,194 posts
12,101 battles

For the most part, it's the pinnacle of the German BB "Brawler" playstyle, being the first with really good speed, but the last that can truly get out of it's own way. It also lives up to the name of "Battlecruiser", not as much the concept. By this I mean that when your top tier, you can play it like a BB no issue. Mid tier, depends what your engaging, and bottom tiered, your a heavy gunned cruiser like what Graf Spee is at tier 6. That said, you still have better armour than most cruisers and used right can actually deflect an Iowa's rounds particularly at close range. Where if you close that gap without getting wrecked you can ruin a tier 9's day with the torps, but don't recommend unless your good at keeping mobile to dodge but angle to bounce. Torps are more "in case of emergency break glass", BB or the like wanders into that range, hit em, but don't rely on them. Keep as close as you can and spec for secondaries (my opinion, manual secondaries are optional because sometimes, while not as accurate you need the ability for them to open up on their own and attack a second target thats in range of your guns on the other side), aim well. She really is a better cruiser hunter then BB vs BB (except vs the likes of Kongo [lack of armour] or lower tiered BB's in the USN line [their lack of speed makes it easy enough as well as not quite that heavy guns to catch them and unleash the torps]) but again, knowing what your doing you can take down anything.

Keep in mind that directly bow on is a bad idea, front armours kinda thin for both the citadel and overall, and doesn't take hits well. You want the rounds more hitting the side where the armour is actually at. Like all German BB's, it prefers taking hits to the side, not arcing fire that hits the deck.

[PVE]
Members
12,588 posts
26,208 battles

Timely post as I am not far from the Gneisenau as well. I am surprised to hear so many talk about it's armor and having to be careful. Guess it is a victim of +2MM like every other ship I have played because nothing T5/T6, including Bayern with it's 380MM's,  in the standard BB's touches the thing no matter where you aim. Firing AP at it seems a waste of time. I just turn the other way, let it come after me, and use HE to burn it. Figures I will get to it and wind up no better off than any other BB( or other ship ); a victim of +2MM. LOL

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

Well, I just got her. Played two games in her.

I think I'm in love. The firepower boost is incredible, because the guns are just soooo much better than Bayern's! Losing a turret is worth the gain in gun power, and they behave themselves better tbh.

Plus the speed and the armor... Oh, man. What a ship!

[PVE]
Members
12,588 posts
26,208 battles

Just got it today but haven't played yet. Still need to transfer a Capt and decide which one that will be...? I did use Free XP though once I got it to fully upgrade it. Not a fan of stock ships.

G%205_zpsceodt5uh.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
20,154 posts
6,159 battles

your guns still wont be able to hit the inside of a barn 80% of the time due to RU anti German Bais/RNG!

*Spits out tea*

You wot m8? Anti German Bias... For BBs? 

[PVE]
Members
12,588 posts
26,208 battles

AdmiralThunder,

What camo (or skin) is that in your screenshot

​Just the regular Type 2 +4% dispersion to enemy guns one. I like the pattern you get on the KM BB's with it so when taking a port screen shot of new KM BB's I get I use that one  if I have any on hand. Also like the standard Type 1( -3% to detectability range )and Type 5( +3%/-4% combo )on KM BB's too. I think the patterns on the KM BB's are some of the best.

Type 1 on Bayern

Bayern%20Port%205_zpsgzckezei.jpg

Type 5 on Konig

konig%204_zpsajxxwwhl.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[APES]
Members
1,008 posts
6,589 battles

​Just the regular Type 2 +4% dispersion to enemy guns one. I like the pattern you get on the KM BB's with it so when taking a port screen shot of new KM BB's I get I use that one  if I have any on hand. Also like the standard Type 1( -3% to detectability range )and Type 5( +3%/-4% combo )on KM BB's too. I think the patterns on the KM BB's are some of the best.

Type 1 on Bayern

Bayern%20Port%205_zpsgzckezei.jpg

Type 5 on Konig

konig%204_zpsajxxwwhl.jpg

I totally agree. The camo on German battleships looks so badass!!!

Members
323 posts
5,699 battles

You will have a hell of a time hitting the broadside of a barn in this ship at range but that's not it's strength.

Use it's speed to get close where your armor makes it difficult to citadel, your secondaries and torpedoes can go to work to make up for the fact you are missing a turret. Also your turrets turn faster and your rudder shifts faster than any other battleship in your tier so you have a huge advantage with your main guns up close even if you have less of them and they can't hit the broadside of a barn at range.

Just remember you have a very strong belt but not a very strong bow so you will need to present an angle at all times and can't just point your nose at targets.