You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
UltimateNewbie

Ranking out - how many battles?

16 comments in this topic

[FML]
Members
4,079 posts
15,904 battles

With 11 days remaining in this Ranked season, I thought I'd try to estimate how many battles more I need to rank out.  Initially, I was surprised how many battles it requires, but when you think about - it after 100 battles with a 50% winrate, the only progress you are making depends on how many losses you were the 'top loser' so didnt lose a star.  

So I built a quick calculator in Excel, and given my recent ranked winrate (53%) it seems I need another 139 battles to rank out, given I am already Rank 4/3 stars.  A lot, but hopefully achievable. 

The table below might be of assistance to you as well. It assumes that you've just hit Rank 5 and therefore require 21 more stars to rank out.  

Winrate (%) No. Battles Required
48 376.5
49 306.3
50 258.1
51 223.0
52 196.3
53 175.3
54 158.4
55 144.5
56 132.8
57 122.8
58 114.3
59 106.8
60 100.3

As you can see, the battles required decreases at a decreasing rate, so the returns to being elite are smaller.  This is because the proportional difference between going from a winrate that generates 1 net stars to 2 is much greater than one that generates 5 to 6, etc.  

I also hope that, as the better players rank out because it takes them far fewer battles, it'll be easier for me to win and therefore rank out sooner ;).  

Good luck everyone, happy grinding.  

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[WOLF7]
Members
12,599 posts

You have 10 days....Well, they are going to let it goto 4pm pst, so 11 days.

Edited by awiggin

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

Win-rate depends on the time that you decide to rank out and sheer MM luck.

I imagine if i were to grind ranked right now, the entire experience would be a walk in the park due to the amount of potatoes in the 2-5 bracket, good-luck ranking out in less than 100 battles in the opening week or two although.

Edited by aAkula

[FML]
Members
4,079 posts
15,904 battles

I am around 180'ish with 59.04 WR.

Hi Wulf, nice winrate!

I was more trying to estimate how many future games I needed to play to rank out, rather than how many I had already played.  

[AXANR]
Members
3,647 posts
23,080 battles

With 11 days remaining in this Ranked season, I thought I'd try to estimate how many battles more I need to rank out.  Initially, I was surprised how many battles it requires, but when you think about - it after 100 battles with a 50% winrate, the only progress you are making depends on how many losses you were the 'top loser' so didnt lose a star.  

So I built a quick calculator in Excel, and given my recent ranked winrate (53%) it seems I need another 139 battles to rank out, given I am already Rank 4/3 stars.  A lot, but hopefully achievable. 

The table below might be of assistance to you as well. It assumes that you've just hit Rank 5 and therefore require 21 more stars to rank out.  

48 376.5
49 306.3
50 258.1
51 223.0
52 196.3
53 175.3
54 158.4
55 144.5
56 132.8
57 122.8
58 114.3
59 106.8
60 100.3

As you can see, the battles required decreases at a decreasing rate, so the returns to being elite are smaller.  This is because the proportional difference between going from a winrate that generates 1 net stars to 2 is much greater than one that generates 5 to 6, etc.  

I also hope that, as the better players rank out because it takes them far fewer battles, it'll be easier for me to win and therefore rank out sooner ;).  

I'm at 184 with a 54% win rate currently, but I've been bouncing back and forth between 5 and 6 for two weeks. It's been maddening. Teamkills, AFKs, people that load in and borderhump...the level of play in ranked has dropped terribly to the point where I'm about to give up. Although I finally switched from Fiji to Shiratsuyu today and went 3-1 with 2 hard carries, so maybe I just needed to change my ride. 

[FML]
Members
4,079 posts
15,904 battles

I'm at 184 with a 54% win rate currently, but I've been bouncing back and forth between 5 and 6 for two weeks. It's been maddening. Teamkills, AFKs, people that load in and borderhump...the level of play in ranked has dropped terribly to the point where I'm about to give up. Although I finally switched from Fiji to Shiratsuyu today and went 3-1 with 2 hard carries, so maybe I just needed to change my ride. 

I spent over two weeks at Rank 5.  I am now solidly into Rank 4, but now that I've said that, I'm going to jinx myself :p.  Seriously, I think working really hard for ranked makes you appreciate the the victory more...  

Indeed, I've noticed my dodging skills are now a lot better - and its a skill that transfers to random! :)

Members
268 posts
4,012 battles

To be honest, Im more interested in grinding lines than grinding some RARE upgrades. The number of games takes to rank out looks absurd, especially considering the waiting time at higher ranks. I really wanted to know the percentage of players actually engaged in this mode (>20 games). 

Members
77 posts
13,357 battles

I managed to rank out in 124 battles with 60% win rate using my scharnhorst, I actually had a very bad losing streak in rank 3, the yoyo effect was annoying for me, but in the next day I ranked out.

Edited by Gustavoveiga007

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

48 376.5
49 306.3
50 258.1
51 223.0
52 196.3
53 175.3
54 158.4
55 144.5
56 132.8
57 122.8
58 114.3
59 106.8
60 100.3

I won't t be ranking out. Already at 360+ battles and I dropped for 57% at rank 10 to 50%

At this point, I'll be happy if I manage to get past Rank 5

[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

I don't understand the willpower of people playing >100 games to potentially rank out.

I think I would rather have my nails ripped off with pliers.

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, WoWS Community Contributors
5,943 posts
22,072 battles

Yeah, Rhino is one of the best USN DD players I've seen.  He shared replays from his last Ranked season in Benson.  The stuff he does just makes it look so easy, but that's never the case for me :).