You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Davos_Seaworth

Colorado makes me sad. :(

26 comments in this topic

[BBICT]
Members
3,883 posts
4,243 battles

Alright, I KNEW it was gonna be a grind...but hot damn I can't get this thing to work. Can I just grind the New Mex twice? No really, I can make all those "brick" BBs work, but this thing has the worst traits of all of them combined. Ugh. I can't imagine what it must have been like pre buff. It must have had people crying in the corner sucking their thumbs, and asking; "Why does thou RNG hate me so!?!?"

*rant over*

I'm gonna beg my wife for some tax return cash and try and lesson the damage. Yikes.

Members
1,515 posts
8,071 battles

Yeah it's not a very good ship at tier 7, I can wreck the thing easily with pretty much anything it seems which is indeed sad as it's one of my favorite bb's in real life and could take a beating as well.

The entire thing is a slow floating mass of 25mm plates in game however.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

[PVE]
Members
12,566 posts
26,113 battles

I haven't played it yet( about 1/2 way there in NM right now )but from playing against them I would call it a tough ship and those freaking 406MM's hit hard.  The issue has to be facing the T8/T9 BB's because it sure as heck eats up T5/T6 ones. Actually I was taking the T5 NY out for a spin this morning and a Colorado lolpenned me twice straight through the bow like I was a Kirov or BRN CL. Just tore me up!. Even angled it was penning me. BRUTAL guns. 

Sounds like +2MM is no picnic for it just as it isn't for any ship really.​ At T7 it really needs more ship speed and faster reload. I don't have to play it to know that. You will get there though just hang in there and keep playing. Will just make the end reward that much sweeter.:izmena:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,644 battles

Just thank god you're playing it now and right after launch. It's still only 21 knots, it still has criminally low HP, but it used to have like 1.7 round/minute RoF, one of the worst dispersions in the game, and Warspite levels of slow turrets.

Edited by Captain_Dorja
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,199 posts
24,552 battles

You should have seen Colorado before her buffs.  She was miserable.  Her guns are actually quite good now and I'm quite fond of them.  Best USN BB gunnery Tier VII+.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

I'm just going to copy and paste this from my "How to Colorado" thread:

1: Learn to aim because if you can't aim you can't farm damage. Also in between shots look for broadsides, I will change targets several times because I want to hit the best target

2: Situational awareness is very important, blow up that mini-map as large as possible and look at it in between shots. Don't just watch your enemy, pay attention to what the friendlies are doing, see who is on low health or if their retreating, or pushing or where the DDs are

3: Roll with the team, they make for good meatshields but this goes with the previous point, pay attetion to what they do, if they stall their push, then slow with them, if they start to turn and run, be with them because you don't want to be left behind.

4: Angle at 30-45 degrees to other battleships to protect your citadel, sure you will eat damage still but the Colorado has insane heal so use it. She has 343mm of armor belt on all 4 sides of her citadel forming a box, if you angle as I said it will make the corner face enemy fire. I personally focus down cruisers first because I know I can tank BB shells but fire hurts.

5: Hug islands, they are your best friends in this ship, snuggle them like a creepy Otakus snuggles those creepy anime character pillows

6:?

7: Profit

Beyond that spend some time in co-op also, the guns are different than the New Mexico and while a bad aim may still result in some hits, you now have 33% less barrels so bad aim will hurt more.

[BBICT]
Members
3,883 posts
4,243 battles

Getting up tiered in this thing is the WORST. I was a total XP pinata for a Neptune. I'm sure he was running IFHE, but dang!!! :nerv_fish: Can't see, can't run, can't angle, just can't freaking stand it. :(

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,138 battles

I bought Colorado for ranked, and didn't play it much, but did OK. I decided to finish the grind and get the NC.

After 30 games in the NC, I'm pretty disappointed. While it's faster and handles better, the dispersion seems worse, and the difference of shell velocity between AP and HE makes it more challenging. The one good thing about it is the AA. She eats planes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I earned a Clear Sky achievement with her, so its not all bad... just mostly.

B

Members
1,515 posts
8,071 battles

I bought Colorado for ranked, and didn't play it much, but did OK. I decided to finish the grind and get the NC.

After 30 games in the NC, I'm pretty disappointed. While it's faster and handles better, the dispersion seems worse, and the difference of shell velocity between AP and HE makes it more challenging. The one good thing about it is the AA. She eats planes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I earned a Clear Sky achievement with her, so its not all bad... just mostly.

B

Yeah I hear ya, the NC is pretty Meh for me as well.  I find them rather easy to shoot the crap out of as well.
Edited by Hangoverhomey

Members
1,515 posts
8,071 battles

I don't see what's wrong with the Colorado. It's really really good for me.

The problem with it is it's literally the low point of the entire line outside of the South Carolina.  It's kind of like a giant south Carolina actually. Very slow, bad HP pool, terrible armor over most of it's surface, easily bullied by most ships and entirely dependant on a good team/very little carry ability.

It's just simply the worst option at tier 7.  This is coming from a guy who can make it work but I still stand by it being "not very good".

Infact to be quite honest, I'd take a Arizona or even just barely my Texas over the Colorado in a tier 7 fight.

This isn't me wanting to hate on it because quite honest it bothers me that it's in the state that it's in.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

I have no problem making her work and prefer her over the Nagato (god I hated that ship) and the Gneisenau (fun ship but those guns are so trolly unless you get up close and personal). I have the Schornhurst also and that ship is just plain stupid fun and I rate her on the same level as the Colorado for me, both are fun enjoyable ships that I take out just for fun and are such completely different play styles

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,861 posts
4,861 battles

Getting up tiered in this thing is the WORST. I was a total XP pinata for a Neptune. I'm sure he was running IFHE, but dang!!! :nerv_fish: Can't see, can't run, can't angle, just can't freaking stand it. :(

Neptune? IFHE?  Wat...since when could Neptune fire HE? :amazed:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just poor USN having to use the same old ship design from tier 5 thru 7 in an environment that makes the all-or-nothing scheme more harmful than beneficial and stuck to TWENTY-ONE KNOTS maximum speed...which was the norm for the previous two tiers. Only thing that had been improved is the 406mm guns that apparently start to LOLpen stuff and can stand up against higher tier battleships firepower-wise.

And no, it doesn't have the excellent acceleration that made the Black Prince, a tank with 20kph top speed, appear fast, but I digress.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,199 posts
24,552 battles

It used to be far worse for Colorado.  In her Pre-Buff days, the game's launch MM was a +/-3 tier spread.  What did that mean?  Tier VII would be facing Tier X.

Yes.

Pre-Buff Colorado was staring down Yamato's 18" guns.  The funny part was Yamato was also faster than her :D

[BBICT]
Members
3,883 posts
4,243 battles

Neptune? IFHE?  Wat...since when could Neptune fire HE? :amazed:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just poor USN having to use the same old ship design from tier 5 thru 7 in an environment that makes the all-or-nothing scheme more harmful than beneficial and stuck to TWENTY-ONE KNOTS maximum speed...which was the norm for the previous two tiers. Only thing that had been improved is the 406mm guns that apparently start to LOLpen stuff and can stand up against higher tier battleships firepower-wise.

And no, it doesn't have the excellent acceleration that made the Black Prince, a tank with 20kph top speed, appear fast, but I digress.

D'oh....must have just been full auto nasty AP....I was thinking of my Belfast, LOL. Whatever it was, it was in smoke, tearing up my conning tower. Ouch.

[BBICT]
Members
3,883 posts
4,243 battles

It used to be far worse for Colorado.  In her Pre-Buff days, the game's launch MM was a +/-3 tier spread.  What did that mean?  Tier VII would be facing Tier X.

Yes.

Pre-Buff Colorado was staring down Yamato's 18" guns.  The funny part was Yamato was also faster than her :D

I think I would just quit. Bismarcks and N.C. are bad enough.

Members
1,515 posts
8,071 battles

D'oh....must have just been full auto nasty AP....I was thinking of my Belfast, LOL. Whatever it was, it was in smoke, tearing up my conning tower. Ouch.

It's one of my favorite things to shoot at with AP in my Blys.... could of been me for all we know.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

It's one of my favorite things to shoot at with AP in my Blys.... could of been me for all we know.

And thank God their invisi-fire it's going away, not just for Colorado's sake, but everyone's sake. 

Members
1,515 posts
8,071 battles

And thank God their invisi-fire it's going away, not just for Colorado's sake, but everyone's sake.

Yes I agree with that change.  I still have plenty of time sitting in smoke to plant 20-30k worth of AP/HE damage into a usn bb super structure however.
Edited by Hangoverhomey