Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HMCS_Devilfish

CV question ,Langley

10 comments in this topic

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

got thousands of games in Cruisers  and am now trying Aircraft carrier Langley, im finding its a lot more relaxing for a change of pace once in awhile, have done a search but to much info to sift through, is there somewhere that shows the keyboard controls ive got the basics down but torprdo spread if thats even possible on Langley manual drops keys that kinda thing 

Thanks

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,290 posts
12,176 battles

one thing, speed will be your downfall, carriers cant outrun dds in the first place but Langley wins the reward for slowest torp bait at a outstanding 15 knot top speed

Edited by tcbaker777

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
18,545 battles

I posted something elsewhere in the forums about a couple helpful videos. You can find the post here.

Respects,

Am

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

I posted something elsewhere in the forums about a couple helpful videos. You can find the post here.

Respects,

Am

Very Nice ,thanks for the help to all  the posters the vid was most helpful to

Thanks again

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,206 posts
24,561 battles

A word of warning with your CV, be very, very careful about a mistake I see a number of CV players do especially at low tier.

Coming into a complete stop, usually sitting behind an island.

1.  If an enemy DD gets past the frontlines of your time, rest assured he's going to try to find you.  When that DD find you and you're at a standstill, you're f--ked.  It takes the CV too long to get moving again.  A motionless or very slow accelerating CV is an easy kill for a DD.  This is compounded by several low tier CVs being atrociously slow even at max speed.

2.  An immobile CV is an easy, easy target for an airstrike.  For the same reasons why an immobile or slowly accelerating CV is an easy target for a DD, it's even worse when an airstrike is coming.  You're slowly trying to get up speed while those TBs and DBs are about to smash you.  Your slow speed or immobile nature makes it stupidly easy to get hits.

3.  If the camping CV gets spotted one way or another, there's also the risk that some BB somewhere has an angle that the island will not protect you from.  An immobile ship is a DREAM SHOT that every Battleship wishes to see.  What better present can you give any BB than to see an immobile CV within gun range?

The other thing with the CV hiding behind an island is that it limits your movement on where you can possibly go if it needs to get going.  That island which blocks LOS for threats of a certain direction can and will be used to crucify the CV against by torpedoes, ship or air dropped.

Keep your CV moving, IMO.  1/2 speed, 3/4 speed, whatever, set some waypoints, just don't be a stationary target.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

A word of warning with your CV, be very, very careful about a mistake I see a number of CV players do especially at low tier.

Coming into a complete stop, usually sitting behind an island.

1.  If an enemy DD gets past the frontlines of your time, rest assured he's going to try to find you.  When that DD find you and you're at a standstill, you're f--ked.  It takes the CV too long to get moving again.  A motionless or very slow accelerating CV is an easy kill for a DD.  This is compounded by several low tier CVs being atrociously slow even at max speed.

2.  An immobile CV is an easy, easy target for an airstrike.  For the same reasons why an immobile or slowly accelerating CV is an easy target for a DD, it's even worse when an airstrike is coming.  You're slowly trying to get up speed while those TBs and DBs are about to smash you.  Your slow speed or immobile nature makes it stupidly easy to get hits.

3.  If the camping CV gets spotted one way or another, there's also the risk that some BB somewhere has an angle that the island will not protect you from.  An immobile ship is a DREAM SHOT that every Battleship wishes to see.  What better present can you give any BB than to see an immobile CV within gun range?

The other thing with the CV hiding behind an island is that it limits your movement on where you can possibly go if it needs to get going.  That island which blocks LOS for threats of a certain direction can and will be used to crucify the CV against by torpedoes, ship or air dropped.

Keep your CV moving, IMO.  1/2 speed, 3/4 speed, whatever, set some waypoints, just don't be a stationary target.

Taking this advice for sure ... not that id ever  hide behind and Island stopped and get torped at 9.26 ... not doing that again 

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,187 battles

WG is removing her manual drops or something right?

Members
523 posts
7,869 battles

WG is removing her manual drops or something right?

Only for low tier.

They seriously need a rebalance though.  I strongly recommend OP switch to IJN.  They are more difficult due to fragile planes and a higher number of squadrons, but they are far better once you get good.

[NSF]
Members
42 posts
2,188 battles

got thousands of games in Cruisers  and am now trying Aircraft carrier Langley, im finding its a lot more relaxing for a change of pace once in awhile, have done a search but to much info to sift through, is there somewhere that shows the keyboard controls ive got the basics down but torpedo spread if thats even possible on Langley manual drops keys that kinda thing 

Thanks

At worst you can check the controls in the Settings Menu.

As echoing above, a piece of advice that I would offer as a carrier player is always to be moving. Langley and Bogue especially have slow top-speeds and worse acceleration. They simply don't have enough horsepower to get their weight moving very fast, so once you get them up to speed, you do not want to stop. If you do not want to advance too far out, applying rudder will keep you slow enough in your turns that you will not get all that far. It'll take you about 14 minutes of straight driving to get from one side of the map to the other on one of the 30x30 maps. Speaking of which, remember that your plane transit times are double what you might think - flying to the target and back. So if you make your planes fly 20km away to the target, they are really flying 40km if you don't move. Close some of that distance while they are gone to speed up your launch/retrieval times.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,206 posts
24,561 battles

Taking this advice for sure ... not that id ever  hide behind and Island stopped and get torped at 9.26 ... not doing that again 

Since you are on USN CVs, there is also the aspect of your CV's proximity to where you're sending your planes to.

TLDRThe closer your CV is to where your aircraft have dropped their ordnance, the shorter the aircraft rearming time.

At low tiers, CVs are still decent in concealment.  I learned from watching my opposition as I grinded up, some would be sailing / camping behind cover but close to the battle area.  This cuts down on travel time of bombers as well as the rearming time.  This is important if you are fighting against USN and/or IJN CVs.  USN CVs with their larger squadron sizes (6) by nature take long to rearm.  IJN CVs with their smaller squadron sizes (4) take less time to rearm.

An aggressive IJN CV that goes close to the battle area has seriously higher sortie rates that USN CVs will find hard to match, even Air Superiority when trying to protect the team.  It's like a fight where one guy can get only 1 hit in, but the other guy is getting 2 in.  Good IJN CV skippers can make a frantic pace in their flights.  If you notice an IJN CVs planes are just incessantly operating in an area, look around.  The CV is close by.  If you spot it, maybe some BB or DD, or whoever, can put some shots or torps into the CV and make them stop by taking evasive action.  Or maybe you can send a strike in on the CV.

Both CV lines are quite feasible in doing this.  However, USN CVs eventually get worse and worse concealment ranges so getting into that close position may be tricky.  Some concealment ranges:

Tier V

Bogue 11.88km

Zuiho 9.18km

Tier VI

Independence 10.26km

RJ 9.8km

Tier VII

Ranger 14.22km

Hiryu 11.88km

Tier VIII

Lexington 17.46km

Shokaku 12.42km

You get the picture.  There comes a certain point in the tiers where close proximity to the battle is not easily feasible for the USN CV, not without getting spotted for every one to blast you.

Another thing about close proximity to the battle area that I want to stress again is that when the CV is detected, everything is gunning for it.  I don't care how much HP your CV has, all a BB needs is ONE GOOD SALVO.  Here are 2 very old screenshots but it gets the point across.  This was a Tier X match.  I was drawn to expose my Yamato a bit because our CV's aircraft spotted a retreating Hakuryu via aircraft.  So I pushed out even though others turned around just so I can get this AP salvo off.

7XHuy5w.jpg

akqO6qg.jpg

And just like that, the most powerful ship (IMO) in the match was sunk.  The danger gets much higher as you go in the tiers because gunnery gets longer in range, accurate, and of course, powerful.  And it doesn't have to be a BB.  Some Cruisers can sling shells far with accuracy.  There could be that undetected Khab or whatever, now clued in on the spotted CV and Engine Boosting for it.  A spotted CV is like someone ringing the dinner bell.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this