Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
chs4000

Are the 150mm guns worth using on the T6 & 8 DDs?

11 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Members
200 posts
20,620 battles

What do you fine folks have to say about the 150mm guns? Are they worth the added dubloon expense of specing for them and then out of them and so-forth? I'm just about to purchase the Gaede and I'd considering redistributing my captain skills since that is discounted today. If the 150mm guns really are worth using, then I will eshew AFT & BFT, in favor of Torpedo Armament Expertise or something else. I have a 17 point captain at the moment, with 16 points distributed thusly:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000001010011000000000117

Adrenaline Rush is a near-term priority for me, and I've got the Elite Commander XP for it right now (550k saved up). 

Thank you for your advice. :)

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

I am preparing a separate captain for them so I can keep both the Maass and the Z-23. One has AFT and BFT, the other one doesn't. All I need now are the ships themselves...

So I would just make a second captain for the 15cm DDs.

Members
509 posts
14,153 battles

I didn't use it on my tier 6 dd, but my tier 8 I have.  I enjoy them, the 12% fire chance is nice, you get an extra gun on the Z-23, which more than makes up for anything else I think.

I've also gotten nice citidel at times (not as much as I'd like) I once did a 11k salvo on a chappy who thought I was going to die easily to him... was the other way around.

Edited by Valdez_Raptor

Members
363 posts
11,787 battles

If you ever played the original IJN DD's with the 2100 alpha and 8% fire chance, then these feel fairly familiar.  The guns themselves turn slowly and have relatively long reloads, but also have very solid HE and AP damage, just like old IJN DD's.  If you didn't play original IJN DD's, then I don't know what else you would compare it to.  Your penetration is surprisingly high, especially coming from the T-22, so instead of having shells shatter on broadside Omaha's, you will be getting cits and pens fairly consistently.  I would forgo BFT and AFT right now, not necessarily for TAE though.  BFT can in theory be swapped out for AR which is not necessarily an equal trade, but a sufficient trade.  If I had to go with skill I would go for

PT

LS

SI

CE

then pick up

DE and maybe Vig

or get EM and PM with only one of the skills listed above.

Personally to me I like PT more than PM, because you do get out spotted in these ships and knowing if you can take the fight based on how many ships are aiming at you is extremely valuable, but then again I take PT on every ship because I believe that it has uses on every class.

I personally don't like SE on DD's as I don't think it gives you enough, considering that tier 6 it is only 2.1k more health, or 2 BB overpens or 2 salvos from another DD in a knife fight at most.  I am also not the biggest fan of AR on most ships.  It is certainly useful in most games, but the fact that you have to be hurt doesn't sit well.  IMO RN CL's are the only ships that should really run it as with RN CL's you can take a cit or two, pop smoke, fire rapidly because low health, then as you are leaving smoke heal up 40% of your max HP and repeat.

Members
310 posts
2,643 battles

Im enjoying the Gaede extensively. 150's put you in a unique position to pounce on enemy ships already engaged with you friends and allows you to pick the angles before firing and becoming spotted.

Punching holes in CL's from max detection range really puts the panick on them and fire chance is decent. I'm keeping her.

Beta Testers
447 posts
6,131 battles

Get 150s on both, if nothing else just for the uniqueness and pure fun of it.  Ripping Cruisers with AP is choice.

[FEM]
Members
275 posts
9,539 battles

Those guns suck. Poor reload, crappy range, horrible DPM and all you get is overpens. The problem however is: not taking those guns makes the Z-23 suck even more. So chose your evil.

Honestly if you have the free XP just skip it.

Edited by tmGrunty

[NNC]
Members
1,184 posts
19,344 battles

I used the 150's but feel the 128's are more useful for defending your ship.

Members
82 posts
2,913 battles

hmm... a british cruiser with HE ammo and that lacks a citadel? or just another destroyer gunboat? i think i know which i prefer...

the 15cm gun armed german destroyers are like the graf spee, a small, relatively fragile ship that has most of the bite of a much larger ship, but which retains most of the other aspects of other ships of it's size class. it makes for some interesting gameplay at worst, and a totally unique and enjoyable experience at best.

Edited by Delta7Xx
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,876 posts
12,803 battles

Yes.

Z-23 is either 4x 128mm or 5x 150mm, so the choice is obvious

Sign in to follow this