You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CraftsyDad

Stealth Firing

10 comments in this topic

Members
123 posts
5,717 battles

Looking forward to stealth firing RU DDs getting scrubbed from the game in future patches. The meta right now is ridiculous for everyone except those players whom it benefits

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,705 posts
19,894 battles

There are more USN DDs with stealthfire capability than VMF ones, and with much larger margins. In fact, my Khab can't stealthfire at all and hasn't been able to for a while. I'm wondering where you're finding all those stealthfiring russian DDs.

• Cool 3

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Your best ship is an Atlanta which does about the same thing.

Only difference is you have to do it behind islands.

Same principle.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[--K--]
Members
5,392 posts
17,911 battles

The only Russian Destroyer that I know can stealth fire is the Udaloi. All you need is the Stock Hull, the Upgraded Fire Control and AFT. However this only gives you a vary Narrow window of stealth fire at the very edge of your range. Once a player gets the Upgraded Hull this goes away and I don't think having Concealment Expert will get it back. 

My Mahan, Fletcher and Gearing can Stealth fire with only Concealment Expert but than their shells are so slow and floaty only slow moving ships who forgot how to use their rudder are viable targets. Going a full stealth fire build with USN DDs makes you give up a lot of useful skills and most times isn't worth it.

My Yugumo can stealth fire but it still a narrow window and even than I'm just setting fires on ships that my torpedoes can't reach. And I've had matches where the majority of my damage just came from setting fires with stealth firing. 

Belfast can stealth fire but again narrow window and its hard to get ships to stay at the right ranges to do so. Even than stealth firing with a Belfast is either a risk of exposure by an unseen enemy early game or something that becomes useful late game when all the stealth boats have been sunk. 

The Blyskawica can use stealth fire but again its just raining HE rounds on ships that either aren't very maneuverable or can't be bothered with using their rudder. And if I can't set fires I'm not really doing a lot of damage with those small guns. 

As a destroyer player generally if I'm able to stealth fire I am outside of torpedo range. If I start stealth firing and there is a enemy ship I can't see between me and the target I'll get spotted. Aircraft of all kind can also blow my stealth firing gimmick. I also find that stealth firing for me doesn't really come into play until late game.

I can't speak about the Zao stealth firing because I don't own one.

But I do think the fuss over stealth firing is coming from players who don't understand how it works, how to counter it, or the work needed to pull it off.

I hope WG takes a measured response to this and either doesn't totally remove stealth fire or buffs those ship that can stealth fire in some other area.  

Edited by RedSeaBear

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,504 posts
6,178 battles

Looking forward to stealth firing RU DDs getting scrubbed from the game in future patches. The meta right now is ridiculous for everyone except those players whom it benefits

Uh... No VMF DD can really stealth fire. They were once able to, but that aspect of them was removed before their release. Currently the only one capable of it that comes to mind is the Gremyashchy.

Members
123 posts
5,717 battles

Ok delete the RU reference and just considering stealth firing in general - no matter what line, ship etc. Thats should boraden the discussion.

A few points:

- yes my best ship is an Atlanta and I love playing her. Rarely do I camp behind an island and spam HE , Maybe thats what some players do but I prefer to be out and about maounvering like crazy. I'll use islands to protect my flanks and exposure but that's because I'm in a CL with only 27k HP. I'd honestly rather have flatter arc shells than what she has now - ever try hit anything at 13km in an Atlanta? Its bloody hard.

- I'm not whining for getting "steal owned" by a DD in smoke. If that happens I usually turn about and make a break for it OR I use my radar and go after the DD. Radar is a good countermeasure to DDs in smoke but is limited in voracity. Its only active for what 20 seconds and has limited range. So it is a countermeasure but is balanced somewhat by its short duration / cool down etc

- yes aircraft can reduce stealth firing but there are so few CVs in the games these days. I'm lucky if I see 1 in 10 games. If there were more planes then yes that would reduce the ability to SF and would stop whiners like me from complaining

- I do know it takes skill to SF, I had CE on my atlanta and had I think a 0.4km or 0.5km window in which I could do it. I found it to be useless in the end because at max range you cant hit anything with effect in an Atlanta. Other ships though with more accurate guns can and thats why I complain

I understand that there has to be advantages, disadvantages and give and take for the game to be interesting but I do find SF to be particulary grating. My solution would be to make the ship visible for like 1 or 2 seconds after firing and then go back to be undetected. That would at least enable the person being shot at to align the guns for the next volley and at least give them a chance to return fire. Thats not as drastic as what Notser was alluding to in the video and is perhaps a middle ground that WG could try.

-

-

Members
123 posts
5,717 battles

Apologies for spelling mistakes. On laptop and the kids have me distracted. 

I would offer the same solution for say other ships in smoke screens, make them visible for 1 or 2 seconds after they fire and then go back to concealed. A Belfast (or worse a pair of Belfasts) laying smoke and spamming HE is a real meta changer. Other than a DD launching torps into the smoke screen and getting real close with hydro, there's not an awful lot anyone can do about that and their recharge rate is quick. Radar helsp but although a DD can be taken out in 20 seconds in an ATL, a Belfast cannot.

Maybe a smoke screen that gets less effective as it goes on? No detectability at first, but as time wears on you get moire and more detected as you fire? Just some food for thought. This is off topic though