Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt_Backbeard

CV servicing bonus

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

9 posts in this topic

Some thought here, bear with me. 

I think it would be pretty cool to add a bonus to the time to servicing aircraft if you are turned "into the wind". Anytime aircraft are launched and recovered, aircraft carriers normally point into the wind to aid in launch and recovery. It could also give a bonus to the flight time of your planes returning. This tactic would push CV's to get out from behind rocks a little bit more and add a bit of strategy to movements of the fleet. The CV itself is usually forgotten in a fight, but this would give CV captains a bit more of an importance to the fight.  If you wanted to make it fun, have the wind change direction a bit and make it die on the edges of the map so you cant park there and collect it. I wouldn't penalize a player for not using the bonus, but even if it was small, I think it would add to the CV experience. A small bonus to returning aircraft would keep the CV game moving and....you would earn it. =] 

I'd like to know what you guys think.

Thanks.

P.s if this has been brought  up before by someone else, my apologies. I looked, but I couldn't find anything.

Thats actually a good idea because its real world and it would take an effort to look to see which way the wind is blowing and turn the ship into the wind to launch, so theres a cost to it

It along with requiring CV's to be moving to launch was brought up many times in alpha & closed beta. CV's are already the most complicated class to play and this just adds more complication.

I do like the idea but considering landing and takeoff in this game is vastly simplified and doesn't take more then 15 seconds boosting that would be fairly pointless

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't think driving a CV is overly complicated. The bonus could also be applied to the return speed of the aircraft (which in olden days, after you dropped your bombs or torps and had less fuel, you could fly a little faster) =]. There would be no negative if you decided not to use it. I think it would motivate people to cruise their CV (like in real life) instead of running it into an island. You could also use auto pilot to set up your path once you establish your wind direction ^^. Also this could be useful in your fleets strategy for what direction you wish to go on a map. 

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Capt_Backbeard

I really like your idea, but I think adding wind would mess up the game engine too much. Besides, it would also affect aircraft while cruising, and as others have brought up before, add too much complications to the game, making it impossible for newcomers to master this art. Also, if you play higher tier Japanese carriers, you will realize the burden already on micromanaging and this would overwhelm even the most experienced players.

And also, if the CV has to turn because of the wind, you need to take account of the time it takes for the aircraft to travel that extra difference, which cancels out the advantage in the first place.

This kinda went off the rails a bit. Im not talking about a massive change to CV mechanics. Just a small bonus to give to CV's to keep the return travel/launch time down. Not make it necessary to launch and recover. I played up to a Lexington and found waiting for planes to return is kinda boring. Not to mention CV's driving behind an island and not dealing with their ship. I also feel like CV's havent had an across the board buff. This might be a small adjustment for a small bonus if you find yourself waiting for aircraft. That was it. No more no less. Thanks for your input.

I don't think driving a CV is overly complicated. The bonus could also be applied to the return speed of the aircraft (which in olden days, after you dropped your bombs or torps and had less fuel, you could fly a little faster) =]. There would be no negative if you decided not to use it. I think it would motivate people to cruise their CV (like in real life) instead of running it into an island. You could also use auto pilot to set up your path once you establish your wind direction ^^. Also this could be useful in your fleets strategy for what direction you wish to go on a map. 

Thanks for reading.

Faster return time sounds awesome. I hope they bring that back one day.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0