You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Farixan

Share your wisdom, Alpha/OBT/CBT players!

88 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
7,412 battles

After i read a topic about alpha, i decided to ask you guys to tell me anything about old WoWs! Like time when Myoko and Mogami are swapped, 12 140 mm Furutaka, or even when Hakuryu had ridiculous strike configuration! Anything goes, but all of them must be before version 0.5.0.5! 

Oh, and please keep this clean! I want to see everyone's opinion in their perspective!

Edited by Farixan
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
2,640 posts
7,936 battles

from OBT: The absolute hilarity of the pre-nerf Cleveland AKA Cheatland, all your planes and ships are belong to me.

• Cool 9

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
11,565 battles

There's an archive forum where I think Tedster posted a lengthy review of what WoWS used to be like

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

I'm too tired atm to remember everything from those times (CBT for me) but I do remember when the USN BBs were actually pretty damn good, to a point. At least the earlier ones anyway. I also remember when they had the old measure 22 skin as default, before camo was even a thing. Those were the times... 

TAKXN5Z.jpg

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
7,287 battles

Old measure 22 on the Wyoming during CBT

Those lowercase ship names... whew.

Alpha Tester
758 posts
5,139 battles

Honestly I dont remember much except that carriers had no activation time on torps and that we were still debating if angling really worked or not.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

The absolute hilarity of the pre-nerf Cleveland AKA Cheatland

I remember the pre-nerf Cleveland and Mogami as well, although I'm not from Alpha or Beta. Sad thing is, I purchased the Mogami just 1 day before they nerfed those skills and never got to taste the full glory of it. I was also around when the first ARP missions came out in late 2015 (I think?), and those were ridiculously hard. 
Edited by Aduial

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

There's an archive forum where I think Tedster posted a lengthy review of what WoWS used to be like

Yep, I've seen it.  It's a great post and very nostalgic.  A lot of which happened before I was around.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

the only thing i remember is that the game lacked many features that we have now(no really?) to the point that the game looked bland,it wasl like world of tanks light tanks simulator edition,lead the target and keep running.

nowadays wows look more exciting to me,all ships have some chance to kill anything,i didn't get arkansas beta but i got murmansk(MUCH BETTER)

[-K_P-]
Members
545 posts
3,882 battles

Is it true that secondaries used to be manually controlled?

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles

I remember the pre-nerf Cleveland and Mogami as well, although I'm not from Alpha or Beta. Sad thing is, I purchased the Mogami just 1 day before they nerfed those skills and never got to taste the full glory of it. I was also around when the first ARP missions came out in late 2015 (I think?), and those were ridiculously hard. 

Pre-nerf Mogami was insane... all the fires you could set...

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

Old Cleveland... my god, what a pleasure she was to drive.

Remember when spalling was still a thing? Oh man, screw HE, the results you could get from spamming AP was hilarious!

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
11,565 battles

Old Cleveland... my god, what a pleasure she was to drive.

Remember when spalling was still a thing? Oh man, screw HE, the results you could get from spamming AP was hilarious!

​what was that, 1 or 3% total damage on a hit, not even a penetration?  death by a thousand cuts

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,101 posts
14,728 battles

When I started in Alpha armor was borked and a Cleveland or any cruiser for that matter could beat down a BB with AP.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,235 posts
21,634 battles

Having non sub orbital USN 5" guns.

The Cleveland was more like today's buddy.

And the Sims could hit ships from 10 km out.

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,891 posts
4,881 battles

I remember a time when US battleships and Japanese Carriers didn't exist in the game yet. It was still in Alpha testing and at most having 100 people online trying to get a match.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Is old Furtaka valid? With only her single guns?

Or the 2.1km range on the 13.2mm machine guns?

Members
806 posts
7,027 battles

I was around since the end of the closed beta right before the Humblegate incident occurred.

Cleveland used to have a 10% faster RoF, a faster turret traverse, somewhere around 17km range with an 18 second shell travel time at that range, and a split citadel layout between the smoke stacks. Unsurprisingly, it was one of the best cruisers in the game at that time. The same applies to the 155mm Mogami, except that ship could stealth fire near max range. 155mm Mogami was the meta cruiser for Ranked Battles before the Kutuzov showed up.

With the old MM you could be uptiered by +3. Which means a Pensacola could run into a Montana, it did happen to me once.

Old Midway and CVs used to be grossly overpowered. Midway had 12 torpedo bombers, and a quicker plane reload time than now. Combined with its huge hanger size, Midway players back then would nuke their victims with 12 TBs and then suicide those planes. They did this because re-arming fresh planes was quicker than sending back empty bombers to the CV and re-arming them then. Old Midway also used to have jet aircraft for their fighters, although I don't know how they compare to the fighters Midway has now. 

CV planes were slightly slower but much more tanky than they were now. I remember taking a stray torpedo from a Taihou in my Pensacola when I was next to 2 Baltimores and a BB I can't remember. This was the only time I ever got the Unsinkable achievement.

Back in CBT/OBT, no one knew what angling and WASD was. So playing the Omaha/Murmansk back then and farming citadels was a great time. 

Back in the day, there was no penalty for touching the blue map border. So many people would abuse this by hugging the blue wall and throwing off their opponents' aim by essentially cheating the system. It coined the term "border scum."

Hotspot used to feature criss cross spawns where each team would be split and spawn on opposite diagonal corners of the map. This meant you had enemies spawn directly in front and next to you. Whichever team coordinated a pincer attack on one side more effectively than their opponent was usually the victor.

A big difference between CBT/OBT and now is that IJN DDs and CVs were still alive and viable back then. Sure they needed to be tweaked, but WG gave them the Negan nerf bat treatment, so now we have a predominantly BB meta.

[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,093 battles

Kitakami. Hilarious in every way imaginable. She has to this day the only stat metric of killing more allies than enemies in WOWS. 

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,800 posts
5,017 battles

I remember when...

Warspite's range was a topic of rage.

When nobody fired HE because AP penned everything.

When armor wasn't a thing.

When USN BB's range was a topic of rage.

When CV's were a terror and a threat.

When Furutaka and Izumo didn't exsist, and Myoko was T8 and Mogami T7.

When IJN torpedoes were actually stealthy as they should be.

Etc.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

I remember when DD's were pre-nerfed.

In those days, your heart use to beat in your throat every battle.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,697 battles

I remember the CBT armor scheme change that actually made battleships TOUGH. Used to be a Cleveland or Atlanta could go broadside to a BB and rip it to pieces with AP. Did that to a NM with a Cleveland and laughed hysterically.

Yeah that armor change was needed for poor BBs. These new BB drivers think they have it so BAAAD. Used to be you could barely scratch a Cleveland or Atlanta or Mogami and they would sale up and literally brawl you to death without breaking a sweat. WITH AP.

Sorry all these BB whiners, should of been there for the Beta weekends/early Closed beta. The amount of salt you all would of had.

• Cool 1

Members
9 posts
7,412 battles

Wow, lot of you talk about how glorious old Cleveland was! Wouldn't be too surprised if she will be a tier VIII in USN CL tree!

Oh, btw, i heard Midway lost their jets because it was "2fast4u" :v

And yeah, i'm also a bit dissapointed to learn that so many people whine about "MUH BIG SHIPS! MUH BIG GUNS! MUH INVICIBLE ARMOR!" Sorry, i need to vent off a bit :(

Edited by Farixan