You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
willob

How much I hate INJ battleships, but how much I want Yamato

40 comments in this topic

[DD975]
Members
77 posts
19,007 battles

I'm not a fan of Japanese Battleships, I really hate the looks. I love the German BB and I like USN. BUT I really wanted a Yamato so I free XP ed past 4 of them to get the mighty Yamato, cost somewhere around 900,000, how bad did you want a ship?

[ARMDA]
Members
9,003 posts
5,462 battles

You never do this. The previous ships teach you skills you'll need to be better in the last tier.

• Cool 2

Members
509 posts
14,141 battles

Only jap BB (and one of the few ships I skipped with free exp I naturally earned) was the Izumo, all the others except he Kawachi are pretty solid.  Did 17 fuso battles for a contest, got 83% win rate today solid ship.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,370 battles

You never do this. The previous ships teach you skills you'll need to be better in the last tier.

This. 

Most of the time, at least. I would argue there are some places where a ship plays significantly different from the ship before it, and you really just have to take away just general skills which other ships of the same type and tier could teach you.

[USCC2]
Members
6,171 posts

Well to get to the best Torpedo DDs (according to many) I have to go through 6 tiers of USN DDs who have the shorter range Torps and are knife fighters.

Just think its WG being clever and ensuring people 'want to/need to' play as much as possible. Many didn't want to play past tier V due to slower play, enter the +2 MM - now people tend to want to progress up. :)

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,862 posts
16,440 battles

So in other words do to your greed to get 1 ship, you decided it was pointless to learn the basics of other ships and will now be a burden to every team you side on with that ship?:sceptic: FREE EXPing 1 ship I can understand, but 4 in the same line? your'e crazy! You could've leveled up you Yamato's captain so much by grinding through those 4 ships. its such a waste of potential!:facepalm:

its more ales a hidden rule, and a smart one too, that you don't just FREE EXP ships, moduals are fine but whole ships is just a waste of money and as Unabletony said, you don't learn skills that can help you when you get to higher tiers....:read_fish:

I've only Free EXPed past 1 ship and that was the Bayern. I tihnk many people would rather have their tongue  nail-gunned to play wood that's been sprayed with ghost chillies and then be whipped bare buttocks with a riding crop, than grind that thing stock!:hiding:

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,171 posts

So in other words do to your greed to get 1 ship, you decided it was pointless to learn the basics of other ships and will now be a burden to every team you side on with that ship?:sceptic: FREE EXPing 1 ship I can understand, but 4 in the same line? your'e crazy! You could've leveled up you Yamato's captain so much by grinding through those 4 ships. its such a waste of potential!:facepalm:

its more ales a hidden rule, and a smart one too, that you don't just FREE EXP ships, moduals are fine but whole ships is just a waste of money and as Unabletony said, you don't learn skills that can help you when you get to higher tiers....:read_fish:

I've only Free EXPed past 1 ship and that was the Bayern. I tihnk many people would rather have their tongue  nail-gunned to play wood that's been sprayed with ghost chillies and then be whipped bare buttocks with a riding crop, than grind that thing stock!:hiding:

If WG allows it why blame the player? The world we live in is a 'get it now pay later' one - instantly scratch that itch you have lol.

It is down to the individual's own perception of the game. You state that it affects the team, but in 6 weeks of being on the forum I don't know how many  'nobody plays as a team' comments I've seen. :(

• Cool 1

Members
4 posts
3,231 battles

Now I'm worried I would enjoy that, since I really liked the Bayern, even when it was stock I didn't find it terrible :unsure:

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,244 posts
9,694 battles

Well there is co op, but if you don't have all the bonuses, you would lose quite a bit of credits each game, especially if you're lacking damage.

And if you do horribly in co op, at least I'll be there in my Yamato to carry the game.

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles

So the guy fee XP'd to Yamato. So what. You all assume he is some kind of low tier guy who jumped all the way to T10 BB's with no skills. To earn that kind of free XP means he has played a LOT of WOWS. 

Also, he said he loved the KM and USN BB's. Maybe he played them to high tiers; maybe even 1 or both to T10? At some point playing a BB is playing a BB. If he is up at least to say T7/T8 in KM and USN BB's is it really a big deal that he skipped a bunch of IJN BB's to get to T10? How does playing Nagato or Amagi make you a better Yamato player? Other than number of games in a BB played overall it doesn't IMO.  

I would say lack of playing against others in general at T10, if he hasn't got up to at least T8 so he has experienced T10 play, in some ship line would hurt him more than not having played a BB at T10 before. That is the only reason I wouldn't jump from my present T5-T7 ship range to a T10 ship. I would not have the general experience to handle it. Wouldn't be because I didn't know how to play a BB though.

I say go for it to the OP. He earned that free XP and if he wants to go right to Yamato that is his right. He might actually be a good player and do well at T10. Don't see how he could ruin things any worse than those there now do. All you hear, regardless of tier, is how stupid teammates are. Doesn't matter if someone is a T3 or a T10 most blame everyone else when they die. LOL

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles

I'm not a fan of Japanese Battleships, I really hate the looks. I love the German BB and I like USN. BUT I really wanted a Yamato so I free XP ed past 4 of them to get the mighty Yamato, cost somewhere around 900,000, how bad did you want a ship?

Good for you OP.

I am not a fan of the IJN BB's( or their other ships for that matter )either. However, like you, I would like to play the Yamato some day just to see if it is really as OP as so many claim. I am only at the Fuso right now and about 1/2 way to Nagato so I have  a long road to go.

While I wouldn't dare to get there the way you have done it( I am an average to below average player now so need to get better before getting that high )I defend your right to do so.

Go citadel and instadelete a bunch of ships for me. :izmena:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[REVY]
Members
8,088 posts
6,118 battles

Good for you OP.

I am not a fan of the IJN BB's( or their other ships for that matter )either. However, like you, I would like to play the Yamato some day just to see if it is really as OP as so many claim. I am only at the Fuso right now and about 1/2 way to Nagato so I have  a long road to go.

While I wouldn't dare to get there the way you have done it( I am an average to below average player now so need to get better before getting that high )I defend your right to do so.

Go citadel and instadelete a bunch of ships for me. :izmena:

The experience of using the Yamato is less then impressive since the enemy makes you a primary target.  It is a powerful ship, but she's rarely allowed to survive to see her full potential.  It's only in those rare games where your inexplicably not targeted that you can see some amazing damage. 

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles

The experience of using the Yamato is less then impressive since the enemy makes you a primary target.  It is a powerful ship, but she's rarely allowed to survive to see her full potential.  It's only in those rare games where your inexplicably not targeted that you can see some amazing damage. 

Yeah I have read about that happening as well as seeing it in replays. Similar to the matches I am in now where I see a lot of Atlanta's lately.Not that the Atlanta is OP just dangerous.. All the BB guys go in chat before start of game and beg DD's and CL's to take it/them out 1st and/or to mark them so they can be focus fired early. I do it myself if I am in one of my BB's and see an Atlanta is in the game. I feel like a big old marshmallow at a s'mores party in a BB when they are around. :hiding: 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[DD975]
Members
77 posts
19,007 battles

Hi all, thanks for the comments. Now I'd like to comment, I have played high tier I have Iowa, fat freddy, Roon, Hindy and a Fletcher I went up all those lines, just couldn't and didn't want to for the Yamato. Also I looked at which tier 10 BB  I wanted and Yamato was the winner.

I play a lot with the Atlanta and have lots of XP so why not buy what I want. I agree with Seventex the Yamato gets focused on too much, I have much better games in my stealth/AA Iowa.

The Atlanta with a 14 point Captain is a whole nother ship, 13.3 range and some stealth, and now radar, I follow DD into a cap and when DDs pop smoke I light up the radar and smoke em, and BB ya that's just too much fun. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,642 posts

I don't care for them, either- except for Mutsu.  Just not my cuppa...

Thus I sold my Myogi and Kongo and never looked back.  Fuso is researched, but I didn't buy it.

For whatever reason, I really like Mutsu.  Those single shot derp tube torpedoes are hillarious!  Nobody ever seems to see them coming, lol.

[DD975]
Members
77 posts
19,007 battles

I got pissed off the other day and sold every Russian ship except the cruiser I was grinding on and the one before it. I didn't like INJ low tier cruisers because of the crapguns, but I like the mid tiers because of the 10 km torps. Another fun fact I don't do well in the Cleveland but I love the Atlanta and have great games.

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

>I hate Japanese battleships!

>I want the ship that's the epitomy of Japanese battleships!

>So I spent tons to skip the rest to get it!

I don't understand.

[DD975]
Members
77 posts
19,007 battles

Seraphil the Yamato plays similar to its tier 10 piers, and it looks normal, it doesn't have that weird superstructure. Also reading LittleWhiteMouse reviews the tier 9 and 10 German BB's aren't that good, she says stop at Bismark, I have the tier 9 FDG but I enjoy the Iowa better. Reading the forums the Montana is lacking against the other tier 10's so if I want only one tier 10 BB its the Yamato, if I could have only one tier 9 it would be the Iowa.

I played some ranked battles and racked up a lot of silver and converted a ton of XP due to the ships being elite and premum. Let me ask you if you had almost a million XP and 30,000,000 silver what would you do with it?

When I started this game their were ships I wanted for historical reasons, Bismark, Tirpitz, Hipper, Graf Spee, Iowa, Prinz Eugen, Warspite, the sisters, Fletcher and yes the Yamato.  I have them all!

Maybe we will meet in battle one day, hopefully I'll be my Atlanta, or perhaps as team mates in my Yamato. Fair seas

[USCC2]
Members
6,171 posts

>I hate Japanese battleships!

>I want the ship that's the epitomy of Japanese battleships!

>So I spent tons to skip the rest to get it!

I don't understand.

Makes sense if you know the ships. I don't like the knife fight style of USN DDs, I prefer the IJN torp line. Yet at higher tiers the ships are more rounded and the USN DDs are equiped with better torps. Solution - skip early and go to top tier USN DDs.

I can also understand if the OP just wanted the very famous Yamato ship; the BBs seem to be the main pull of new customers and BBs are well looked after; so why not want the biggest of the big ships?

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles

Oh well, another Tier X potato...

Based on what? The guy obviously knows how to play the game and has reached high tiers in other lines. Calling him a potato seems very disrespectful and also unfounded.
  • Cool 1

[DD975]
Members
77 posts
19,007 battles

I'm glad I went up the USN DD line, just got the Gearing, up to tier 7 in the INJ line. Gearing is a mini Atlanta with better gun range, stealth and torps. DD's aren't my favorite but I play them because when I started playing the game 80% of the time a DD killed me, so I played them to learn how to fight them.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of INJ ships I do like the cruisers with the 10 km torps, Russian and German DD's oh how I tried to go up those lines but not much fun.

Its nice I don't have to sell a ship to get the next one, so I can collect favorites, or entire line of ships.

[DD975]
Members
77 posts
19,007 battles

You know Admiral Thunder you are the voice of reason, I think we played a game together once. Any way CPOs and Sargent s have things figured out. 

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

Makes sense if you know the ships. I don't like the knife fight style of USN DDs, I prefer the IJN torp line. Yet at higher tiers the ships are more rounded and the USN DDs are equiped with better torps. Solution - skip early and go to top tier USN DDs.

I can also understand if the OP just wanted the very famous Yamato ship; the BBs seem to be the main pull of new customers and BBs are well looked after; so why not want the biggest of the big ships?

Yeah I'm preeeeeetty sure I know Japanese battleships considering they're one of my most-played classes and I worked all the way up to Yamato.  The base gameplay for them is pretty much the same all the way up, except for Amagi.  I'm quite glad to have played gems like the Fuso and Amagi instead of skipping them.

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles

You know Admiral Thunder you are the voice of reason, I think we played a game together once. Any way CPOs and Sargent s have things figured out.

​Long time internet forum guy( non gaming stuff - I am new to online games )and I just get so sick of people who think they know everything. This is a game and people need to relax. Some take it like a religion???

Maybe we played a game together in the past? I am usually pretty vocal in chat so my name sticks with people I guess. LOL