You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Arizona - what's the max range of her guns?

30 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,036 posts

Tonight I got singled out by an Arizona driver that was in a division with another Arizona - between them they killed eight of our ships. We lost of course - which torqued me - because I usually do well in my Graf Spee. Our team was a fustercluck of course... I finished like fourth from the bottom with only 553 xp, no kills... heck, our top player finished with 993 xp from four kills plus 2 aircraft so I don't feel that bad about it.. 

Here's the thing though... our dds were popping smoke, hiding and trying to torp from smoke, like a Belfast might do gunnery... we all know that doesn't work.

My Graf Spee max range is 16km. I checked the wiki and it shows the Arizona as 16km too. I was being FF on by this division which was 17km away. They were nailing me, no matter where I turned, how I turned, no matter what I did, they kept nailing me.

I checked my Spee - she has no modules to extend her main battery range. I'm wondering if the Arizona has that module as an option. I have to enable replays again I see... because the accuracy of these Arizonas from 17 km away was not what I would call normal. No, I wasn't trucking along in a straight line. I was twisting/turning fighting some DDs and firing on ships within my range. 

TL;DR: What's the maximum possible range of an Arizona's main guns? tiafyc

[ARMDA]
Members
9,003 posts
5,462 battles

There is that American only module that is available from Tier 5 and up for USN BBs. Plotting Room or something like that.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Aye, there's the plotting room, and they also have scout planes to increase the range. 

[ANKER]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,110 posts
6,122 battles

With Arty plotting room mod. 1, she is 18.6. Add in a scout plane and you can touch out to 20-21km

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Arizona's max range with the mod is 18.6-ish I believe. And even longer with the spotting aircraft (which I almost never ever use cause it screws up my aim more than anything else)

As for her accuracy well...She does have rather good guns on her. And even though 17km is a bit of a snipe for her, I have no doubt that with good aim (and plenty of sacrifices to RNGesus) that someone could get reliable hits from that kind of range.

Arizona can be extremely deadly in the right hands. I should know. She's currently my top ship. ;)

[SOUP]
Modder
8,807 posts

Historically? About as far as the blast could throw them.

:hiding:

[WOLF3]
Members
28,139 posts
24,488 battles

Arizona?

Without Artillery Plotting Room Mod 1, the gun range is 16km.

With APRM1, the gun range is 18.6km.

Personally I went with APRM1 because her guns behave so nicely, it was a shame not to give them more range.  Spotter Planes give +20% range while they're up.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KNTAI]
Members
3,133 posts
8,714 battles

18~km with the special module, and 20-21 km with spotter plane. They have SIGMA 1.9 if I recall, and as you have 12 guns, they're pretty accurate.

In this REPLAY, I managed to kill a Kiev with a single shell at minute 16 of the game (proper pen, so 3.1 k damage).

http://i.imgur.com/Tpked2M.png

Edited by Excield

[O_O]
Members
6,753 posts
16,152 battles

During the Santa Crate sales, I was hoping for a Gremyaschy.  No joy.  I also wanted an Anshan, and did get her.  I also got Ishizuchi and Sims.  I also kind of wanted the last ship I got...Arizona.

As it turns out, Arizona was the best haul of the bunch.  Her accuracy and nasty damage far outweighs her slow speed.  She is great fun to play.

Beta Testers
44 posts
1,608 battles

Euc6O71.gif

• Cool 1

[DDM_]
Banned
1,680 posts
6,029 battles

Guess the guns around Hiroshima and Nagasaki must have had some amazing range in that case.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,036 posts

Hmm... well I have a new appreciation for her... I got smeared and was not making myself an easy target. I'll be a bit more wary of her in the future. I suspect most the players I've encountered in her in the past weren't good players. :-) TBH, I thought her max range was around 16 so thanks again everyone ;-) 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Hmm... well I have a new appreciation for her... I got smeared and was not making myself an easy target. I'll be a bit more wary of her in the future. I suspect most the players I've encountered in her in the past weren't good players. :-) TBH, I thought her max range was around 16 so thanks again everyone ;-) 

yeah, she is a bit more tricky to play than say, the Bayern or other KMBBs, but like some have said, in the right hands, she can obliterate her opponents.

Speaking of, I actually have videos of myself double citadeling a derpitz from something like 14kms or so, as well as one shotting a poor RNCL that wandered a tad too close and forgot he had a rudder lol

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts

Arizona is an awesome battleship.  Mess with her at your peril.  Had a game last night where I took down a New Mexico.  He says in chat, "Surprise! I'm not alone" and a Colorado sails around a nearby island where it was lurking.... so I proceeded to obliterate the Colorado too.  LOL!

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles

yeah, she is a bit more tricky to play than say, the Bayern or other KMBBs, but like some have said, in the right hands, she can obliterate her opponents.

Speaking of, I actually have videos of myself double citadeling a derpitz from something like 14kms or so, as well as one shotting a poor RNCL that wandered a tad too close and forgot he had a rudder lol

Arizona is a vicious ship.  She has sufficient innate armor to take hits.  Her guns are hella accurate and really punchy.  They love to [edited] BBs.  Aim at the barbettes on ships and watch the 20,000 damage rolls fly in.  Bayerns?  Yeah, 10,000 point hits all day.  Another Arizona?  Smoke the barbettes and lol 20,000 damage. 

Her armor, angle it a little and watch the shots lolbounce all day, unless your opponent tries shooting ur turrets, then ur [edited].  It is actually terrible bow on, for some reason, every time I bow on with it, it gets wrecked, and this by AI oddly enough.  But it can angle, bring all its guns to bear and its in its best angle to stop the enemy shells.  Its a slow ship, but its a very agile one.  Mine has like 10.7rudder shift, which is good for dodging shells.  Its secondaries and AA blow, but the main guns, oh yeah, they are where its at. 

Members
909 posts
6,198 battles

Arizona is an awesome battleship.  Mess with her at your peril.  Had a game last night where I took down a New Mexico.  He says in chat, "Surprise! I'm not alone" and a Colorado sails around a nearby island where it was lurking.... so I proceeded to obliterate the Colorado too.  LOL!

Yep two of my most memorable fights I have had in my AZ have come from 1on 1 brawls with Nagatos. Properly angled AZ can bounce 16" AP off her side. I won both those fights sending Tojo's toys to the bottom. :playing:

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,775 posts
2,137 battles

Just like Mutsu! :D

[WOLF3]
Members
28,139 posts
24,488 battles

It's not so much the range of Arizona's guns.  It's their trollish accuracy.  She has 12 guns and even at range, she has this tendency to go, "You know what?  You fired 12 rounds, 8 of them just hit at 17km.  Poor Cruiser."  When RNG says AZ is on, she is ON.

When I first got AZ long ago, originally I had used the secondaries upgrade.  Then I experimented with APRM to improve gun range and have never left it since.

Members
2,997 posts
1,449 battles

It's not so much the range of Arizona's guns.  It's their trollish accuracy.  She has 12 guns and even at range, she has this tendency to go, "You know what?  You fired 12 rounds, 8 of them just hit at 17km.  Poor Cruiser."  When RNG says AZ is on, she is ON.

When I first got AZ long ago, originally I had used the secondaries upgrade.  Then I experimented with APRM to improve gun range and have never left it since.

Yeah, Arizona has guns that every ship should have. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,036 posts

I dumbishly thought the Texas would be quite similar to her... but nope... I have slowly adjusted to the Texas style of play, almost southern-like actually... slow, methodical... know where you're going... I suppose the closest guns I have to the Arizona would be on my Ark B... but she aims differently than about every other ship I've played.