You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Terkoz

Advice on BB against BB battles please.

13 comments in this topic

Members
417 posts
7,656 battles

I'm predominately a CA and DD player and till now the only BB I've spent any real time with was the Scharn as it's basically a big CA anyway. Recently though I've unlocked the Fuso and have been enjoying it enough to actually play BB's a little more however I am struggling with it in battles against other BB's. They seem to be able to citadel me easily enough and whittle my health down much faster than I can do theirs so I was wondering what I should be doing in this case?

To now I've been focusing more on AP and aiming for their superstructure and while this does the odd 3 to 4k shell strike I'm too slow to damage them and even just lost to a lower tier Konieg where we were circling the wagons and he was easily doing better than me in DPS. I have tried waterline shots at their citadels but I'm either unlucky or aiming at the wrong spots.

Any advice would be appreciated please. Particularly in head to head battles where you are sailing at each other. I seem to do worse then.

Cheers guys.  

Edited by Terkoz

[O7]
Members
5,393 posts
12,182 battles

If you're going head on against a tier 7 or 8 BB, they are able to do more damage to your bow since you can't autobounce 15"/16" shells, but they can autobounce your 14" shells.

Fuso isn't really meant for head on engagements like that anyway. IIRC you're fast enough to change from a forward advancing angle at an enemy BB to a retreating angle in between their salvos. You can use this to draw them into your team and/or switch to HE and burn them down if they're heavily bow on/angled to you.

Edited by Pulicat

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,216 posts
14,759 battles

AP on broadside cruisers and BB's and HE when they are showing the bow or stern but fire what you have loaded then change. As always drive like a drunk and don't show you broadside unless the enemy is reloading.

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,756 posts
4,221 battles

AP on broadside cruisers and BB's and HE when they are showing the bow or stern but fire what you have loaded then change.

Or just get a Yamato and lolpen everything.

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

Be sure to sail in straight lines... they are expecting you to weave about and this will confuse the feck out of them ;)

(yes indeed this was said in jest)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,216 posts
14,759 battles

Be sure to sail in straight lines... they are expecting you to weave about and this will confuse the feck out of them ;)

(yes indeed this was said in jest)

Actually it will if they are expecting wild maneuvering but not for long.

Members
390 posts
2,724 battles

Actually it will if they are expecting wild maneuvering but not for long.

Especially if you move the rudder just a little bit, because battleship mobility makes them think you've committed to a turn. I've wasted more salvoes than I'd like to admit to that particular feint.

Members
417 posts
7,656 battles

Thanks for the input guys. Been trying out the suggestions and just had my highest damage round with the ship (128k)

Wierdly though I doing more damage but significantly less kills. Go figure. :amazed:

[O_O]
Members
6,775 posts
16,221 battles

Fuso is less of a close-in brawler and more of a medium-long range gunner.  If you get in close against a German or US battleship, you will have the disadvantage.

[NNG]
Members
1,675 posts
3,039 battles

You keep your enemies at range in the Fuso, you can't afford to get in close even with other battleships of your own tier. The Fuso and many other Japanese battleships are snipers.

[PVE]
Members
12,592 posts
26,216 battles

As others have said Fuso is not a in close brawler despite 12 guns. The armor is too weak. I actually took out a very healthy Fuso at close to 16km with my New Mexico that I just happened to catch in a turn so it was broadside when I fired and the shells hit. Multiple citadels and 43K+ damage and it just went poof. It's armor just doesn't take broadside shots from other BB's well.

Easy to plunge shells through Fuso's deck at range too. I got lolpenned once at max range by a Bayern and if not for my 100% no detonation flag I am sure I would have.been dead from 100% with the hit. Bounced most of the shells that hit with no real damage and last shell hit on edge of deck where it meets hull by one of the rear guns and I got that wah...wah noise and the screen kind of blurred indicating a big hit. My health dropped from 100% and green to almost in the red. 1 shell! I am sure it was a magazine hit and would have resulted in a full detonation kill if not for the flag.

Always stay angled( try - obviously it is impossible all the time ). I admit to showing too much of my side at times but I run PT and IFA and watch that like a hawk. As long as I am not being targeted I know it is okay to cheat a little to use all the guns. The second I see I am being targeted though I immediately WASD and try to figure out from where( if possible ).I then get angle to that threat or threats. Once I see the fire alert go off I start WASD even more to try and avoid the shot.

I also use the same tactic someone mentioned above in it a lot when facing higher tier BB's( I do it in any BB facing higher tier BB's and/or facing multiple BB's at once actually ). I won't brawl unless absolutely need to; it is not what the ship is good at. So I stay back and shoot from range( that doesn't mean hide or camp before anyone accuses me of that - like 12-14km ) )which gives me a chance/time to dodge their fire. Once I start getting inside say 8-9KM and the opponent is another BB I start looking for a chance to get turned around.

Once turned I then let them chase me as I fire HE at them and burn them down. This works on any T7/T8 BB you face as long as they will chase you( amazes me how many will ). Wiggle wiggle until they shoot, then turn to get most of your guns on them and let loose the HE, then immediately turn back and wiggle wiggle until the next time they shoot so it is safe to turn and shoot back. Not a fool proof method but one that works well. However, ships you face with really big guns (380MM-410MM )can still hurt you badly even from behind. They can put one up your tailpipe so to speak and if you don't keep enough angle and show too much side pen you.

Fuso isn't as weakly armored as Kongo was but it can easily be citadeled and wrecked even by T5 ​BB's. Even the KM T5 BB Konig that only has 305MM guns can put them into the citadel on a broadside Fuso.

Edited by AdmiralThunder